Windows 10: After Upgrade Can't Access BIOS to Change Boot Order for W7 Reinstall

Discus and support After Upgrade Can't Access BIOS to Change Boot Order for W7 Reinstall in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Have a Lenovo H420 desktop that was upgraded about 2 months ago. We backed up everything and want to reinstall Windows 7. But I can find no way to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by boweasel, Jan 6, 2016.

1. boweasel Win User

After Upgrade Can't Access BIOS to Change Boot Order for W7 Reinstall

Have a Lenovo H420 desktop that was upgraded about 2 months ago. We backed up everything and want to reinstall Windows 7.

But I can find no way to get into the Setup screen. I've gone to Settings, Update & Security, Advanced Startup and Restart Now. But I have no option to Use a Device. If I choose Troubleshoot then Advanced Options, the subsequent screen has no option for UEFI Firmware Settings.

I've disabled Fast Boot through Power Options in the Control Panel, then tried F2 and the Delete key when starting. Nothing...

The fact that I can't do something that was so easy in Windows 7 is enough reason in itself to remove 10. Throw in the fact that the scanner part of my printer no longer works is just icing on the cake. I have the Windows 7 disk. I just can't figure out how to use it.

:)

boweasel, Jan 6, 2016

2. Win 10 problems on restart only

After original upgrade from Win 7 had problem, after anniversary upgrade and re-flash of Bios with an 8.1 bios from Dell it went away, Latest upgrade returned the problem. When "restarting" after installing-reinstalling programs due to the change to 10,
    the computer will say restarting briefly turn off as usual, the black screen " operating system not found". Hard boot turning off computer and starting, going into BIOS set up finds that the HD is in fact first and computer will boot normally with Microsoft
    wireless mouse in USB port. However with transmitter in USB port it will not Restart. With it removed it seems normal. I can't figure out why if the boot order is HD, DVD, USB why the D**** thing keeps looking to a USB to restart but doesn't if powered off,
    and the powered on as a hard boot. HELP.

Frederik Van Assendelft, Jan 6, 2016
  3. After Windows 10 PC reset, inaccessible boot device

Sorry to hear. So you can't even access the recovery or tools partitions. Can you get into the bios and try changing the boot order to your recovery USB?

mrpumpkin9, Jan 6, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

According to the mamual:

Ztruker, Jan 6, 2016
  5. boweasel Win User
    As I already said I've disabled Fast Boot through Power Options in the Control Panel, then tried F2 and the Delete key when starting. Nothing...
    I sort of figured that when I mentioned the F2 option, it was understood that I was 'repeatedly pressing and releasing' the F2 key.

boweasel, Jan 6, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Is the F2 key assigned another function? For example mine is assigned as decrease screen brightness. When restarting the computer you might have to hold down the FN key while repeatedly pressing F2 to make it the actual F2 keystroke vice the function assigned to it.

Also to ensure you are going all the way back to a pure bios bootup, hold down the shift key when clicking Shutdown or Restart from the power icon in Windows 10 (although normal "restart" is supposed to go back all the way to a pure bios bootup).

NavyLCDR, Jan 6, 2016
  7. boweasel Win User
    I think that the fn key is a feature I've only ever seen on laptops. My unit is a desktop, and at any rate the F2 on my keyboard is only an F2.

Funny that your second paragraph only displayed when I hit 'Reply with quote'. But I had already tried the <shift> + Shutdown without success.

boweasel, Jan 6, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Is your keyboard a USB keyboard, or wireless with a USB receiver? If so, is it plugged into a USB 3.0 port? Some motherboards won't support USB 3.0 until a driver is loaded, so try moving it to a USB 2.0 port.

NavyLCDR, Jan 6, 2016
  9. boweasel Win User
    USB keyboard.

boweasel, Jan 6, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Also have you tried resetting the CMOS by using the reset jumper on the motherboard or disconnecting all power and removing the CMOS battery?

NavyLCDR, Jan 6, 2016
  11. boweasel Win User
    No. What do you think that will do? Enable F12? Enable F2? Bring back the Use a Device option? I'm certainly willing to do that, but to what end? I need guidance on what to do after resetting the CMOS.

boweasel, Jan 6, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    There may be some setting in bios that is either keeping it from detecting the keystrokes during startup or keeping Windows 10 from seeing the UEFI function of the bios to restart into.

But - before you do that - from an elevated command prompt ("run as administrator" command prompt), type reagentc /info

What result do you get?

You should see something like this:
    If you see Windows RE status as Disabled and/or the Windows RE location is blank, that is why you don't have a fully functioning advanced startup/troubleshooting menu.

NavyLCDR, Jan 6, 2016
  13. boweasel Win User

Okay... Somehow all the Lenovo crap I read was disinformation. The last time I shut down I held down that <shift> key while clicking Restart. This time tapping F1 (not F2) took me into the BIOS, where I changed the boot order to a CD/DVD first. When I restarted, I got the familiar 'Press any key to boot from CD....'. I pressed any key, deleted the Windows partition, formatted and am now installing Windows 7.

I'll keep you apprised of the progress.

boweasel, Jan 6, 2016
  14. boweasel Win User
    Windows 7 Home Premium installed perfectly and accepted the product key. Am now plowing through the close to 300 updates it needs. Thank you for your help.

boweasel, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. After Upgrade Can't Access BIOS to Change Boot Order for W7 Reinstall - Similar Threads - Upgrade Can't Access

2. BIOS keeps booting into wrong drive even after changing boot order.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BIOS keeps booting into wrong drive even after changing boot order.: Hello, Recently out of nowhere my system boots into my HDD and not to my boot drive NVME drive. I don't have Windows installed on the HDD only on my NVME. Every time i turn my pc on it goes into Diagnosing problem with start up and leads me to the recovery menu. I have to go...
  3. BIOS keeps booting into wrong drive even after changing boot order.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BIOS keeps booting into wrong drive even after changing boot order.: Hello, Recently out of nowhere my system boots into my HDD and not to my boot drive NVME drive. I don't have Windows installed on the HDD only on my NVME. Every time i turn my pc on it goes into Diagnosing problem with start up and leads me to the recovery menu. I have to go...
  4. BSoD & boot order changes by itself in BIOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSoD & boot order changes by itself in BIOS: Two issues happening at random times:BSoD"An operating system wasn't found" during startup. When I look into the BIOS, sometimes the boot priority changed by itself to the drive with no OS Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB , sometimes the hard drive with OS completely disappears...
  5. BSoD & boot order changes by itself in BIOS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSoD & boot order changes by itself in BIOS: Two issues happening at random times:BSoD"An operating system wasn't found" during startup. When I look into the BIOS, sometimes the boot priority changed by itself to the drive with no OS Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB , sometimes the hard drive with OS completely disappears...
  6. BIOS setting and W7 to W10 Upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BIOS setting and W7 to W10 Upgrade: I'm looking to help someone upgrade a fairly new desktop PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10 using the MCT method. When we installed Windows 7 on this machine I recall going into the UEFI BIOS and changing the Boot > Safe Boot > OS Type setting from the default "Windows UEFI...
  7. Bios order of boot and UEFI

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bios order of boot and UEFI: Hi there, what is the optimum order of "boot" you need to set the bios at for a quicker start-up? And where do you place the UEFI component in relation to the actual firmware in the order of boot? Thank you, Robert....
  8. BIOS Boot order

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BIOS Boot order: No way, in the BIOS, to change Boot prioriy. I cannot use a CD to boot from in an emergency. How can this be done? Gigabyte laptop, Windows 10, 64. I cannot disable secure boot, the option will not highlite. 47197
  9. BIOS Boot order

in Windows 10 Support
    BIOS Boot order: I could not find an option under Boot Options, in the BIOS, of my P57W computer to boot off an optical or thumb drive. How the hell am I to boot off these devices when I cannot see them in the BIOS? Gigabyte documentation, or the lack thereof, SUCKS big time. I finally...
  10. Can't change BIOS order

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't change BIOS order: So I'm having a dual boot system (Windows and Ubuntu) and since I disassembled my laptop some hours ago the laptop boots directly into Windows (ignoring the GRUB OS selection screen). I'm having a Lenovo Laptop with Windows 10 (Insider Preview) and a Samsung EVO 840 SSD on...