Windows 10: After upgrade I lost domain drive permission with MicrosoftAccount

Discus and support After upgrade I lost domain drive permission with MicrosoftAccount in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am an admin on my local System Center based domain ex: DomainName.local as frank123 user. I have several servers and when in Win 8.1 I had seamless... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by anotherca, Apr 20, 2016.

1. anotherca Win User

After upgrade I lost domain drive permission with MicrosoftAccount

I am an admin on my local System Center based domain ex: DomainName.local as frank123 user.
    I have several servers and when in Win 8.1 I had seamless access using a workgroup based laptop with the same name. Ex: WorkgroupName = DomainName

Mainly use this workgroup method as local laptop admin so I can go from same DomainName.local domain setup on another server offsite during AD migration from 2012 to 2012 r2.

Same usernames same passwords.

Problem began when upgrading the laptop to Win 10 Pro. I upgraded from 8.1 Pro.

Suggestion to move logon to MicrosoftAccount\frank@msn.com was to get Cortana to work and use Windows Store Apps, one especially connecting to Application running on one Domain Controller server. I changed to MicrosoftAccount but user profile is still frank123 on every computer.

1. I can RDP by using frank123 username and existing password.
    2. Can map drive in the same way.
    3. Cannot write or create folders on any of the servers I am admin on.
    4. Cannot recreate the frank123 as the Store App I use is very necessary. I now carry two laptops with one not changed from local frank123 to MicrosoftAccount.

I checked the only GPO regarding controlling use of MicrosoftAccount on servers but was not set.
    I cannot change domain controller user's email away to above as its locked to L: frank123@DomainName.local

Does anyone know how to get Windows 10 Pro/Ent. to work with MicrosoftAccount (email based) logon in a client where admin rights previously worked?

Stumped.

Regards.

Now I must go backwards from RDP to client to get things which is not really a seamless experience.

:)

anotherca, Apr 20, 2016
  2. M Leary Win User

Cannot copy files to domain folders with workgroup laptop of same name using Windows email logon

Not much help there on my post. Mostly HomeGroup and other non-related answers.

I believe this to be a gap with servers not (yet?) using MicrosoftAccount logons in Windows 10 Pro/Ent.

No GPO other than to control users from changing to a MicrosofAccount logon, and I am unsure yet if you could ever change to a domain and retain the MicrosoftAccount.

This problem is based upon the prompt on Win 10 upgrade to change - so it effectively disconnects you from your domain=workgroup pass through credentials.

This is about an enterprise logon and permissions throughout being changed by the upgrade suggestion to change to a MicrosoftAccount in order to use Cortana and Store Apps.

I do have servers running Server side apps that use the store client apps and that is
    not the problem.

The problem is lost permissions to shares that used 8.1 profile name logon BEFORE the upgrade change to a MicrosoftAccount. The profile name is unchanged and still an admin of sorts in the new MicrosoftAccount.

No one can stick to the topic of bridging the gap or getting back admin rights on server drives that existed on an 8.1 pro laptop in a workgroup that had same credentials as the Ent. Admin and same name as the domain.

Regards.

M Leary, Apr 20, 2016
  3. e.gray Win User
    Cannot copy files to domain folders with workgroup laptop of same name using Windows email logon

So, just curious.... what if you created another local account on your laptop (just like you had with Win7). So, your laptop would have 2 accounts... a Microsoft Account (so you can use Cortana, etc) and another local account that has the same name/credentials
    as your domain account.

Does that scenario (using a 2nd local account) allow the previous "pass thru" authentication to work again?

e.gray, Apr 20, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Hardly anyone is using RDP, even in the Enterprise. Some of the older Microsoft type accounts like @MSN, @Hotmail are not working with the Live Login with Windows 10. You are better in using a local account. It also matters what version of Domain software that you are using. If you are using a older Legacy version of Small Business like 2003 or 2008, there has been issues with Windows 10.

Microsoft is forcing people into the newer Domain & Sharepoint server software.

bro67, Apr 21, 2016
  5. anotherca Win User
    I use 2012 r2 and 2012 Servers with a local System Center Domain. I am the enterprise admin. No legacy, no home clients.

As the problem is MicrosoftAccount logon types and Windows 10 not playing in the Client/Server realm this is just a gap. Windows does just fine using a regular profile logon. Like I said, by agreeing to use Cortana and App Store by changing to that account type you are basically just a home user then. Until MS changes this, Windows 10 - even the enterprise version - will not be of any use in the network world of Administration as a client OS. The ActiveDirectory setup for users does not allow the email to be changed which could give a linkage to the regular profile.

My profile is still the same as it was - the admin credentials are now a MicrosoftAccount email - that removes the ability to continue at the price of Cortana and Store Apps. Both of these things can be productive in the client server realm - I have these types of apps on both Server/client and love trying Cortana as well. Plenty of questions on why or how to get this to work. NO ANSWERS.

Thanks for replying.

anotherca, Apr 21, 2016
  6. anotherca Win User
    BTW I have got the Store to work using a regular profile - and waiting for an unusual prompt for email address to get started, but the problem is that even with paid support you stump the band when attempting to run a MicrosoftAccount type. No help from MS then. I have heard enough 'just change back' messages from MS support but no one seriously is changing the thought process to the problem.

anotherca, Apr 21, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    Since you are using Server 2012, you have to use a Domain login and set up the proper GPO's, etc.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. After upgrade I lost domain drive permission with MicrosoftAccount - Similar Threads - upgrade lost domain

2. Microsoftaccount gehackt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoftaccount gehackt: Beste,Ben er zojuist achtergekomen dat mijn Microsoft account is gehackt.Mijn email adres die gekoppelt was met mijn Microsoft account is *** Email address is removed for privacy *** is nu geweizigd voor *** Email address is removed for privacy *** dat ik helemaal niet...
  3. Microsoftaccount gehackt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoftaccount gehackt: Beste,Ben er zojuist achtergekomen dat mijn Microsoft account is gehackt.Mijn email adres die gekoppelt was met mijn Microsoft account is *** Email address is removed for privacy *** is nu geweizigd voor *** Email address is removed for privacy *** dat ik helemaal niet...
  4. Lost Local Admin After Domain Removal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost Local Admin After Domain Removal: I have a laptop that was domain joined and also had two local accounts. One admin, one user. I removed the pc from the domain and afterwards only the single local user account is left. I have found no way to backdoor into the local admin. There isn't an option to log in to...
  5. Lost Local Admin After Domain Removal

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost Local Admin After Domain Removal: I have a laptop that was domain joined and also had two local accounts. One admin, one user. I removed the pc from the domain and afterwards only the single local user account is left. I have found no way to backdoor into the local admin. There isn't an option to log in to...
  6. Lost Local Admin After Domain Removal

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. lost permissions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    lost permissions: Just recently i have lost permissions to open my photos , i have tried everything ... can some one help please thank you in advance . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-permissions/2fc17712-f593-4d04-ab47-75f664de22e3
  8. I have lost permissions to my only hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I have lost permissions to my only hard drive: My laptop has been having some problems since I got it. First It was owned by a friend of my dad, then by my dad and now by me. I think It's a acer aspire 5742Z, the specs are the same and looks pretty much the same. So the computer is slow and I wanted to reset it to...
  9. Permissions Issues as Admin on a Domain

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Permissions Issues as Admin on a Domain: I have a newly built W10 machine and I'm having issues when try to copy/paste a file in a Program Files folder or to the Windows folder, just as as examples. Although I'm not the owner of the drive, TrustedInstaller is, I've never had these issues before, especially as a user...
  10. Lost Drives after upgrade

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Lost Drives after upgrade: I upgraded from win 7 64 bit to Windows 10 "c drive" and lost my two drives (E and F) that I use as backups to my primary drive. My primary "c" drive is actually 2 drives that are mirrored so if one would fail I can replace it and not lose a thing. These are 1TB drives so...