Windows 10: After Upgrade to Win 10 - Is Recovery Partition Useful?

Discus and support After Upgrade to Win 10 - Is Recovery Partition Useful? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Now running Win 10 Pro 64bit. Just did an in-place upgrade from Win 7 Pro. Seems to have worked fine - but I'm still testing.... This is an HP PC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by larrymcg, Feb 3, 2016.

1. larrymcg Win User

After Upgrade to Win 10 - Is Recovery Partition Useful?

Now running Win 10 Pro 64bit. Just did an in-place upgrade from Win 7 Pro. Seems to have worked fine - but I'm still testing....

This is an HP PC which came with Win 7 and there is a recovery partition on the system disk.

Is this recovery partition of any use now that I've upgraded to Win 10?
    If I used it would I go back to the factory version of Win 7?

Should I just ignore that it is there?

-- Larry

:)

larrymcg, Feb 3, 2016

2. Windows 10 - Delete Recovery Partition

This works as advertised but you lose the ability to create a recovery drive (you just deleted the necessary files in this procedure) so it would be wise to create a USB Recovery Drive before deleting the recovery partition that was created by Windows
    10. I deleted the recovery partition using the Partition Wizards Mini Tool which then allowed me to extend the C: drive but when I attempted to create a USB Recovery Drive, I got an error message saying some necessary files were missing. Luckily I created
    a USB Recovery Drive just after upgrading to Windows 10. On computers with a company recovery drive (like the D: HP Recovery Drive) that has the Windows 7 recovery info, my suggestion would be to delete the Win 7 recovery partition before upgrading to Win
    10 and then the Win 10 recovery partition doesn't get in the way of using all the available disk space for the C: drive since the Win 10 recovery partition is at the end of the HDD/SSD. Otherwise you end up with a Win 10 recovery partition between the C:
    drive and D: Primary Partition aka the HP Recovery Drive with the Win 7 recovery files that prevents you from extending C into the deleted D space (unless you want to keep the Win 7 recovery files). I've never used the disk recovery partition since I would
    prefer to use the OS original media instead (if Win 10 ever has an install disk which I guess it will after the free upgrade period is over).

Kenneth Goodwin, Feb 3, 2016
  3. FunEngine Win User
    Why we have recovery directory & recovery partition in win 10 while recovery directory is empty ?

after upgrading to win 10 , we found an empty recovery directory and recovery partition. What is the purpose of having both in the computer ?

FunEngine, Feb 3, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

It may depend upon the procedure HP [or other maker/vendor] uses to access that partition to restore back to the day it shipped from the factory. If it was Windows-based that feature is gone. There was a prompt early on, usually in the setup phase, that suggested making the discs for doing the restore, those would be useful if having to replace the HDD/Hard Disk Drive because it failed. You'd restore using the discs then do all the required updates such as Service Pack 1 then do the free Upgrade to Win10.

Berton, Feb 4, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Why not just restore directly to Windows 10 due to a hard drive replacement?

NavyLCDR, Feb 4, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Why not get a USB flash drive about the same size as the size actually in use in that old recovery partition. Use Macrium Reflect Free to make an image file of that partition to the USB flash drive. Then you can delete the old recovery partition and make that space on the hard drive useful again. If you ever find that you need that partition or something from it again you can either restore it to hard drive using Macrium Reflect - or you can just mount it with Macrium and browse it like a regular drive if you need a specific file from it.

I've got 3 or 4 of flash drives like that in my desk drawer - some haven't been touched in years and I might even have one for a computer I no longer have.

NavyLCDR, Feb 4, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    The whole point about Windows 10 is once you have upgraded and activated it, you never need to reinstall old OS and reupgrade (on same pc).

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. After Upgrade to Win 10 - Is Recovery Partition Useful? - Similar Threads - Upgrade Recovery Partition

2. Windows Recovery Partition after Upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Recovery Partition after Upgrade: Seems every time Windows does a major upgrade it adds another recovery partition.They aren't that large by them selves but add them up to over 1 gb. I can really use that space.Can anyone explain this?James[Original Title: Another Partitions Question]...
  3. Windows Recovery Partition after Upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Recovery Partition after Upgrade: Seems every time Windows does a major upgrade it adds another recovery partition.They aren't that large by them selves but add them up to over 1 gb. I can really use that space.Can anyone explain this?James[Original Title: Another Partitions Question]...
  4. Confusing partition after upgrade from Win 7 to win 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Confusing partition after upgrade from Win 7 to win 10: hi.. I Need advice about the partition after i upgrade from win 7 to win 10. i have some issue : 1. there is a disk "System ReservedH" in my drives list, i cant delete it because it used for boot the pc. I search info that i can hide it with remove the drive letter. is it...
  5. Extra Recovery Partition appeared after upgrade Win 10 October

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Extra Recovery Partition appeared after upgrade Win 10 October: After and upgrade from MS in October I noticed my computer was becoming sluggish and a number of documents in files had disappeared. I save all documents on external "F" Drive. After upgrade, my "F" symbol was changed to "G", and now my external drive is "G". I didn't...
  6. Extra Recovery Partition appeared after upgrade Win 10 October

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Extra Recovery Partition appeared after upgrade Win 10 October: After and upgrade from MS in October I noticed my computer was becoming sluggish and a number of documents in files had disappeared. I save all documents on external "F" Drive. After upgrade, my "F" symbol was changed to "G", and now my external drive is "G". I didn't...
  7. Removing 'mystery' partitions after upgrade to Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Removing 'mystery' partitions after upgrade to Win 10: I've successfully installed Win 10 on 4 PCs with no problems so far, so I was asked to upgrade one of our office systems from Win 8.1 to Win 10. The unit was an ASUS with Win 8.1 OEM-installed and working, but missing almost all of the available Win 8.1 updates. All else...
  8. Is my Recovery partition Win 8 or Win 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is my Recovery partition Win 8 or Win 10?: I am doing some OS maintenance on friends Surface Pro 2 currently running Win 10 Pro x64. One of the things I want to do is implement a backup process using Macrium Reflect. The HDD has a Recovery partition on it of around 6GB (full) but I don't know whether it's current...
  9. Windows 10 upgrade installing on recovery partition.

Windows 10 upgrade installing on recovery partition.: Windows 10 is downloading to my win 8 recovery partition and before it's complete it tells me the recovery partition is full, which it is. I've run disc clean up and still no luck. Any way to get win 10 to download to another partition? 52815
  10. Delete recovery partition after upgrade?

Delete recovery partition after upgrade?: I upgraded a HP notebook to Win10 Home from Win 8.1. I would like to remove the OEM recovery partition. The Disk Management console shows the EFI partition, then the system partition (C), then a recovery partition of about 7GB. There is no Delete or resize option available on...