Windows 10: After Upgrade Which Recovery Partition Can I delete?

Discus and support After Upgrade Which Recovery Partition Can I delete? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently did an upgrade install on Windows 10. Now I have two recovery partitions. I am not sure which one I can safely delete to free up disc space.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Chris Nicola, Mar 22, 2017.

1. After Upgrade Which Recovery Partition Can I delete?

I recently did an upgrade install on Windows 10. Now I have two recovery partitions. I am not sure which one I can safely delete to free up disc space. Previous to the upgrade there was just one recovery partition called recovery about 450 Mbt. Now there are two recovery partitions. The 453 Mbt partition at the very end is described as a primary partition. The 459 Mbt partition second from the end is called the "Recovery partition". I suspect the 453 partition at the end is the older one from the previous installation I can safely delete*. Or do I need to leave them both in place to access recovery options? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Kind regards
    Chris

* Using disc management software, I plan to delete the one at the end, then enlarge the one second from the end to fill the space and then reduce it to about 460 Mbt. Then I will be left with just one recovery partition.

After Upgrade Which Recovery Partition Can I delete? [​IMG]

:)

Chris Nicola, Mar 22, 2017

2. Partions ... EFI and recovery removal Windows 10

If you fresh install Windows 10 on a GPT disk (UEFI boot mode enabled), it does create an EFI, MRS (won't show in Disk Management), Recovery, and C: drive.. When you upgrade Windows 8.1 to 10, Windows 10 will create a recovery partition if your system reserved partition (MBR disk) or Recovery Partition doesn't have enough disk space. As you know, Windows can only shrink a partition from the right side, so
    you know which partitions were new created, which should not be deleted if you want to use recovery options. To see more details, you can read: The Recovery Partition After Upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7/8

Youngwarlord, Mar 22, 2017
  3. Windows 10 upgrade partitions

When you upgrade Windows 8.1 to 10, Windows 10 will create a recovery partition if your system reserved partition (MBR disk) or Recovery Partition doesn't have enough disk space. As you know, Windows can only shrink a partition from the right side,
    so the 450 MB
    Windows 10 recovery partition
    is new created, which should not be deleted if you want to use recovery options. without an image of your disk management, I can only tell you one 450 recovery partition that is closest to C: drive cannot be deleted if you
    want to use recovery option.

the 1-99MB NTFS partition, I don't understand. if it is FAT32, it should be an efi partition.

Youngwarlord, Mar 22, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

After Upgrade Which Recovery Partition Can I delete?

Check which is registered with reagentc /info from elevated command prompt and it will tell you which it is using. Code: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393] (c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Windows\system32>reagentc /info Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) and system reset configuration Information: Windows RE status: Enabled Windows RE location: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition5\Recovery\WindowsRE Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier: 60a76a2a-e726-10e6-9763-d4823e10b645 Recovery image location: Recovery image index: 0 Custom image location: Custom image index: 0 REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful. C:\Windows\system32>[/quote] Then you can delete the other. However if you find partition 5 is registered and you delete partition 4 you'll have to re-register WinRE (as partition 5 will now be partition 4).

Note you have to look at partitions using diskpart to check partition numbers as diskutility doesn't show the msr partition (if you have one).

Run reagentc /info again after deleting the partition. If it still says "Enabled" you are OK. If not you need to reregister it as described here https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../hh825041.aspx

5. Thanks. I ran "reagentc /info" from CMD as administrator and its showing partition 3 is being used. I understand that must be the third one counting left to right, or the one second from the right. So if I understand correctly, now I can safely delete partition 4 at the end and move partition 3 to fill the unallocated space without the need to reregister it?

Kind regards
    Chris

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]
    (c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.C:\WINDOWS\system32>reagentc /info
    Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) and system reset configuration
    Information:
    Windows RE status: Enabled
    Windows RE location: L: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition3\Recovery\WindowsRE
    Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier: e00545e9-0e72-11e7-848e-d8d811e0938b
    Recovery image location:
    Recovery image index: 0
    Custom image location:
    Custom image index: 0
    REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

6. lx07 Win User
    Check this as well to make sure you are using the correct partition number.. Code: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.15063] (c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\WINDOWS\system32>diskpart Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.15063.0 Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. On computer: X201 DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- --- Disk 0 Online 232 GB 0 B DISKPART> select disk 0 Disk 0 is now the selected disk. DISKPART> list partition Partition ### Type Size Offset ------------- ---------------- ------- ------- Partition 1 Primary 500 MB 1024 KB Partition 2 Primary 64 GB 501 MB Partition 3 Primary 164 GB 64 GB Partition 4 Primary 4495 MB 228 GB DISKPART> exit Leaving DiskPart... C:\WINDOWS\system32>[/quote] Obviously your partition sizes will be different to mine but it should be obvious.

It looks like you don't have hidden msr partition (that diskutility doesn't show) and you can just delete partition 4.

It actually doesn't really matter if you delete the wrong one or even both of them. You can always boot from a external USB key anyway. If you want to have the option to boot from Windows recovery (for the sake of 500MB) then check it with diskpart first.

EDIT if you do delete 4 though, you'll probably want to shuffle partition 3 up to the end (counting from the left hand side ) so you can extend C into the free space. You can use Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free to do that.

7. Thanks, I have deleted the redundant partition 4 and reagentc /info is showing the recovery partition 3 is enabled. The screenshot shows the partitions after using Mini Tool Partition Wizard. Thanks again for all your help.

Kind regards
    Chris

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]
    (c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>reagentc /info
    Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) and system reset configuration
    Information:
    Windows RE status: Enabled
    Windows RE location: L: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition3\Recovery\WindowsRE
    Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier: e00545e9-0e72-11e7-848e-d8d811e0938b
    Recovery image location:
    Recovery image index: 0
    Custom image location:
    Custom image index: 0
    REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

After Upgrade Which Recovery Partition Can I delete? [​IMG]

8. lx07 Win User

So you have 453MB of unused space at the end of your disk.

You could move that partition 3 to the RHS a bit if you wanted and extend C: volume. It is only 0,1% of your disk though so not that important.

I would though - I'm a bit anal like that *Wink

9. Thanks, good suggestion not to have 453 Mbt of wasted space! I used "Mini Disk Free" to delete the old unused 453 Mbt partition at the end. Then expanded the active recovery partition No. 3 to fill the unused space so the new size was about 912 Mbt. Then expanded partition No. 2 (C) to take space from the enlarged recovery partition (No. 3) up to the maximum allowable which meant the final recovery partition is now 516 Mbt.

Kind regards
    Chris

10. lx07 Win User
    That will do Chris. Unless in the next upgrade of Windows 10 MS make the recovery partition bigger again.

Then they will make a new one and you can repeat the process.

FYI I don't have a recovery partition but on my BIOS based VMs the latest insider version 15063 likes a 500MB one so you should be OK for a while.

Hali

Thema:

1. After Upgrade Which Recovery Partition Can I delete? - Similar Threads - Upgrade Recovery Partition

2. excessive partitions which can i delete?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    excessive partitions which can i delete?: [ATTACH] i have 1hhd which is flashdrive 0 and an ssd flashdrive 1 idk where all this partitions come from. i want to make a fresh install of windows on my SSD can i delete all of the excess partitions? or only a certain one? after deleting space should be free and i can...
  3. KB5034441: can I delete both recovery partitions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    KB5034441: can I delete both recovery partitions: KB5034441: this update prevents security updates, when will it be fixed?If never, I have deleted 1 of 2 recovery partitions, if I delete the second, will my PC still boot ok? will this remove WinRE?...
  4. which one of "EFI System Partition" and "Healthy Recovery partition" should I delete

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    which one of "EFI System Partition" and "Healthy Recovery partition" should I delete: I recently deleted windows 10 that was installed in my HDD and I installed windows 11 on my SSD and if you look at the screenshot, the 122 GB deleted volume is where my windows 10 was installed and now I'm confused that should I delete "EFI System Partition" and "Healthy...
  5. Deleting disk partitions: "Healthy Recovery Partition" - which of these are okay to delete?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Deleting disk partitions: "Healthy Recovery Partition" - which of these are okay to delete?: I recently removed Ubuntu from an Ubuntu-Window dual boot to which I gave a portion of my disk.In the process of removing it, I discovered I had 4 other partitions other than the C:, taking up quite some space.I cannot tell which are the results/residues from the dual boot...
  6. Which "Healthy Recovery partitions" to delete

in Windows 10 Support
    Which "Healthy Recovery partitions" to delete: Hello I have a Surface pro Gen 1 (quite old but still doing great) running Win 10. It only has a 64GB SSD, so I need every bit of space I can get on there. There is currently 5 healthy recovery partitions at over 10gb. I would like to hang on to the repair partition, however...
  7. Can I Delete These 2 Recovery Partitions?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I Delete These 2 Recovery Partitions?: I upgraded to 1903 about 2 weeks ago (6/17) and I've notice that I now have two recovery partitions. [img] Neither of them is enabled. [img] There is a Recovery folder on "C" but its empty. [img] One of the recovery partitions was created on the day of the upgrade and...
  8. Which partitions can I delete?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Which partitions can I delete?: Hi Which of these partitions can I delete? See attach. 1 or more negate Macrum. OS on SSD. 2 additional HDs. Thank you. 47405
  9. Delete recovery partition after upgrade?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Delete recovery partition after upgrade?: I upgraded a HP notebook to Win10 Home from Win 8.1. I would like to remove the OEM recovery partition. The Disk Management console shows the EFI partition, then the system partition (C), then a recovery partition of about 7GB. There is no Delete or resize option available on...
  10. Can I delete the recovery partition?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I delete the recovery partition?: After the update to version 1511 build 10586 Windows has created a 450 Mb recovery partition on my SSD drive. I have already deleted the created Windows_OLD folder as well as the hidden folder with update files. Can I seamlessly and without risk also delete the recovery...