Windows 10: After using recovery disks i have no operating system.

Discus and support After using recovery disks i have no operating system. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I had a ASUS computer that after every Microsoft 10 update it took many reboots to get working again, last update it just could not be brought to life.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by digitalcurisity, Apr 24, 2017.

1. After using recovery disks i have no operating system.

I had a ASUS computer that after every Microsoft 10 update it took many reboots to get working again, last update it just could not be brought to life.
    I used the recovery disks that wipe the HD and it returned the computer to the command line on screen and asks for system boot disk, this tells me i need a copy of win 10 to reinstall the OS on computer as Win had been downloaded on the ASUS that had Win8.
    I guess this means i have to buy a copy of Win10 am i correct?
    I had another smaller ASUS that i needed to use the recovery disks on and it reverted to Win7 i am guessing the old Win7 OS had been stored when Win10 installed, i am thinking i had removed the old OS on my ASUS computer that is now needing an OS to be installed.

:)

digitalcurisity, Apr 24, 2017

2. No operating system error after using recovery discs

1. They were the recovery discs I made for Windows 8.1

2 and 3. I had downloaded windows 10 and had alot of problems. So used the recovery discs I had thinking it would go back to windows 8.1. The first message that comes up is "Selected boot image did not Authenticate. Press enter to continue" When I press
    enter the computer turns off.

4. I am unable to reach the desk top

Appreciate any help you can provide

TonyBergman, Apr 24, 2017
  3. No operating system error after using recovery discs

Old title: No operating system after recovery discs

I used the recovery disc's to bring my computer back to window's 8.1 after upgrading to windows 10. In so doing, the computer has no operating system. I am unable to create a reboot disc or usb for windows 10, and unable to go back to windows 8.1 which came
    with my pc.

TonyBergman, Apr 24, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

After using recovery disks i have no operating system.

The good news is you can go and download the latest Windows 10 free from ms create a dvd or USB boot from that and do a clean install to the latest update you don't need to buy it once you have it it's free for life of the pc so you can do all PC's

Samuria, Apr 24, 2017
  5. Since i can't use the computer without an OS, can i download the Win10 using another computer install the file on a USB or make a DVD disk for the computer needing the OS?

6. RolandJS Win User
    Yes, you certainly can! *Smile

RolandJS, Apr 24, 2017
  7. Archie123 Win User
    How does he get windows 10 free?

Archie123, Apr 24, 2017
  8. After using recovery disks i have no operating system.

If you already had a Ver. of Windows you can reinstall it using the product key if you bought the computer with Win 10 pre installed i have no idea and the lady i talked to at Microsoft had no real answers, just glad i had my copy of Win8 so i can again get the computer online and then go to Microsofts web site and try getting Win down loaded hope by having the product key for Win8 i will be able to download it.

9. NavyLCDR New Member
    When you boot from the Windows 10 USB flash drive or DVD, if it asks for a product key, on the bottom of that screen will be a "link" for "I don't have a product key". You click on that. The next screen will ask you which version you want to install. As long as you install the same version that the computer had on it before, IE Home, Pro, Education, then when that computer connects to the internet after install it will retrieve the digital license for that computer that was saved on Microsoft Activation servers during the upgrade from Windows 7/8/8.1 to Windows 10 and activate automatically with the retrieved digital license.

There is also a way to retrieve digital licenses that are linked to the user's Microsoft Account login, in some cases.

No product key is needed to reinstall the same version of Windows 10 that was on that same computer before. That is why Microsoft provides the link for "I don't have a product key" on the install screen that asks for a product key.

NavyLCDR, Apr 24, 2017
  10. I have reinstalled my Win8 and am TRYING to find where i can download Win10 on Microsofts Web site and am not haveing any luck.

11. dalchina New Member
    You only needed to search the Tutorial section here, for example or use a search engine with the right question:
    Download Windows 10 ISO File - Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

However, this will now give you the Creator's Upgrade edition, which may be the next build up from what you had.

Rule of thumb: always create a bootable medium from the iso to keep for repairs or re-installation of the same major build.

dalchina, Apr 24, 2017
  12. There was so much to go through on that tutorial page but i did find the Media Creation Tool and that was what i needed am now installing Win10 on the computer, Microsoft should make understanding how to download the Win10 it would be helpful.
    I do thank you for your help today will see if i do get win installed, the lady at Microsoft did check my ASUS model in her data base and said i needed to get new drivers from ASUS this is why the win10 was not working well on their system, getting correct needed drivers from ASUS Web site is not a simple deal.
    However, this will now give you the Creator's Upgrade edition, which may be the next build up from what you had.

There was so much to go through on that tutorial page but i did find the Media Creation Tool and that was what i needed am now installing Win10 on the computer, Microsoft should make understanding how to download the Win10 it would be helpful.
    I do thank you for your help today will see if i do get win installed, the lady at Microsoft did check my ASUS model in her data base and said i needed to get new drivers from ASUS this is why the win10 was not working well on their system, getting correct needed drivers from ASUS Web site is not a simple deal.

13. Samuria Win User

Asus has a tool that checks for drivers,firmware and updates use that

Samuria, Apr 24, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member
    Drivers: First, Windows now looks after these. Only investigate if problems or missing drivers.
    Win 10 well may run on PCs that don't have Win 10 drivers available on the manufacturer's site. Manufacturer's produce lists of their PCs that are approved for Win 10.

But note that the drivers MS selects is from their list, so there is the possibility of a poor match. See the Tutorial section for ways of stopping Windows replacing older drivers you manually install (if you really have to).

Note that upgrading the OS for older machines runs the risk of low level driver problems which might lead to unexpected thermal issues in Safe Mode.

dalchina, Apr 24, 2017
  15. all the tool did was start installing Win10 on the computer that had the win8 reinstalled on then it asked for the Win10 product key that i do not have just the key for the Win8 as the win10 was downloaded as a free upgrade a few years ago. so i am now stuck with Win8 and it has no way of shutting down the system as there is nothing in the left hand corner. What a BIG waste of time glad i have other computers.*Rolleyes

Thema:

1. After using recovery disks i have no operating system. - Similar Threads - using recovery disks

2. Removed Local Disk Operating System

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removed Local Disk Operating System: I did something that really really scares me because i don’t know if i can revert this or recover this.I was trying to remove permissions off a user account on my pc. I somehow removed all permissions at all from the pc. I cant access my local disk c on at all. it says it’s...
  3. Removed Local Disk Operating System

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Removed Local Disk Operating System: I did something that really really scares me because i don’t know if i can revert this or recover this.I was trying to remove permissions off a user account on my pc. I somehow removed all permissions at all from the pc. I cant access my local disk c on at all. it says it’s...
  4. Removed Local Disk Operating System

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Own 2 hard disks The basic disk I have on it is the Windows operating system Disk 1 and the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Own 2 hard disks The basic disk I have on it is the Windows operating system Disk 1 and the...: Own 2 hard disksThe basic disk I have on it is the Windows operating system Disk 1 and the other disk Disc 0 and I notice that this works a problem that sometimes the disk does not appear after the start and sometimes it appears, I want to change the basic disk to Disc 0...
  6. Own 2 hard disks The basic disk I have on it is the Windows operating system Disk 1 and the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Own 2 hard disks The basic disk I have on it is the Windows operating system Disk 1 and the...: Own 2 hard disksThe basic disk I have on it is the Windows operating system Disk 1 and the other disk Disc 0 and I notice that this works a problem that sometimes the disk does not appear after the start and sometimes it appears, I want to change the basic disk to Disc 0...
  7. Own 2 hard disks The basic disk I have on it is the Windows operating system Disk 1 and the...

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. System image or recovery disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System image or recovery disk: Hi,New Year Greetings.If I make a system image copy, do I still need to create a recovery disk? What are the differences, and how much space does recovery disk takes? Does it have to be on a exclusive, stand-alone disk.One final question - does recovery disk also makes copy...
  9. Operating System having no space left in the disk

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Operating System having no space left in the disk: Backstory: So, my Windows 10 pc, which is 5 years old, was working fine for me until yesterday. When it stopped connecting to the internet. I found out there was nothing wrong, but it wasn’t connecting so I decided to restart it. At this point, windows 10 went into an...
  10. System Recovery Uses a LOT of Disk Space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System Recovery Uses a LOT of Disk Space: I have nothing loaded onto my laptop (because there's no room!!!) yet 72.9GB (of 110) is allocated to System Recovery. When I search for answers I'm pointed toward system restore points and setting max disk space. You can see that I've set max disk space at 2% but that's...