Windows 10: After Win 7 to Win 10 upgrade Start button doesn't do anything

Discus and support After Win 7 to Win 10 upgrade Start button doesn't do anything in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I upgraded my Win 7 64-bit to Win 10 via the MediaCreationToolx64 download. After the upgrade, when I click on the Windows Start button (or press the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by vvcarpio2, Jul 31, 2015.

1. vvcarpio2 Win User

After Win 7 to Win 10 upgrade Start button doesn't do anything

I upgraded my Win 7 64-bit to Win 10 via the MediaCreationToolx64 download. After the upgrade, when I click on the Windows Start button (or press the Windows button on my keyboard) nothing happens. Also, typing over "Search the web and Windows" doesn't do anything -- my typing doesn't register. What am I doing wrong? Thanks a lot.

:)

vvcarpio2, Jul 31, 2015
  2. swivel22 Win User

After downloading WIN 10, my start button does not function. Instead it shows when start button is clicked, "critical error, restart to repair errors".

Original Title - WIN 10 Start Button

After downloading WIN 10, my start button does not function. Instead it shows when start button is clicked, "critical error, restart to repair errors". However hen I do a restart it is still does not repair. I have reverted to WIN 7 and re-installed WIN
    10 at least 7 times and just don't know what to do. Can anyone help ?

swivel22, Jul 31, 2015
  3. Win 10 problem

Hi All,

Just updated from Win 7 to Win 10.

All seems OK, BUT. I have Start button, then the Cortana box on task bar at left hand side.

Nothing happens when I click start button,

Tried typing a question into cortana, Doesn't allow me to type anything in - Haven't bothered trying with microphone.

martmartEmmArr, Jul 31, 2015
  4. After Win 7 to Win 10 upgrade Start button doesn't do anything

I'm having the same problem *Sad I am still waiting to see if there is a solution...

MRidley1982, Jul 31, 2015
  5. I've fixed my problem! I uninstalled Avast (free) and replaced it with something else. I am now working fine!

6. vvcarpio2 Win User
    Thank you, MRidley1982. I'm using McAfee. I'll wait a while for any McAfee Win10 announcement then uninstall.

I guess the lack of need for antivirus software is one more reason to go Mac. If only Apple would go into the business of selling OS X to the general public then maybe they might do a better job than Microsoft.

vvcarpio2, Jul 31, 2015
  7. Wynona Win User
    When I upgraded this desktop, I ran the Media Creation Tool and selected Upgrade this PC.

I'm not sure how you did the upgrade, but if you did a clean install rather than upgrade, that might be your problem. This is just a guess.

Wynona, Jul 31, 2015
  8. vvcarpio2 Win User

No, it was not a clean install. All my apps and data are there -- if that's what you mean. It boots up to Desktop, like Win7 used to. Searching online isn't helpful (yet) because all the hits on Win10 problems are pre-release (which was why I signed up here). I found one that suggested turning on Tablet mode then turning back off (if I remember right). But not knowing how, and not being able to "Search the web and Windows", I ignored it. Maybe someone knows how?

vvcarpio2, Jul 31, 2015
  9. Wynona Win User
    Sorry I can't help, but it's after 10:00 PM when all the tech-savvy among us turn into pumpkins, choose up sides and trundle off to bed. You may have to wait until tomorrow AM for help, but if someone knows how to solve your problem, you can be sure they'll be replying to you.

BTW, one thing you should quickly do is save your data before attempting anything further. That is if you haven't already done so. I'm so sleepy I can hardly type, so I'll say good night and good luck.

Wynona, Jul 31, 2015
  10. vvcarpio2 Win User
    Thank you, Wynona. Yes, I do have backup scheduled to run automatically on top of manually saving my more important work regularly on a portable. No rush on the solution, either. Right now it's holding up my upgrading my laptop and my wife's PC. Although excited (I skipped Win 8 because of the lack of Start button) I can't commit to a Win10 household just yet because of this.

vvcarpio2, Jul 31, 2015
  11. That worked for me, too! Thanks for the tip. Can you let me know what you replaced it with? The included Windows 10 Defender?

mgm1001001, Jul 31, 2015
  12. Hi! I'm using Bitdefender free.

13. vvcarpio2 Win User

Looks like the whole "Metro" side of Win10 doesn't work on my desktop PC. I un-installed McAfee and it still didn't work. Would it be corrupt registry as I remember seeing in one forum? Would a complete reinstall of Windows 10 (instead of upgrading from Windows 7) work?

I upgraded my Win8 laptop and so far no issues. Start button and search box work.

vvcarpio2, Aug 1, 2015
  14. Wynona Win User
    Since you've already "upgraded" it would seem you can do the clean install now, although I haven't tried it on my newly upgraded partitions.

Worst case scenario, I think, might be that you have to reinstall Windows 7 and start over with the upgrade.

Wynona, Aug 1, 2015
  15. vvcarpio2 Win User
    Thank you, Wynona. Seriously thinking about your suggestion to reinstall 7 then upgrade.

vvcarpio2, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. After Win 7 to Win 10 upgrade Start button doesn't do anything - Similar Threads - upgrade Start button

2. Win 7 to Win 10 Upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 7 to Win 10 Upgrade: I have a really nice laptop that rarely get used that has Win 7 on it but it's becoming outdated and lost Microsoft support. It's a shame the Win 7 has reached it's end of life. Laptop works great. It MORE than has the capacity to run Win 10 Processor, Storage, Cache etc.....
  3. Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10: I was given a Win 7 laptop recently. I am trying to figure out how to upgrade it to 10? Any ideas how I go about that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-win-7-to-win-10/cf7cfb0e-47d5-4031-a29f-468e37e00817
  4. Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10: I was given a Win 7 laptop recently. I am trying to figure out how to upgrade it to 10? Any ideas how I go about that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-win-7-to-win-10/cf7cfb0e-47d5-4031-a29f-468e37e00817
  5. Win 7 to win 10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 7 to win 10 upgrade: This issue was posted 2 yrs ago and no solution was found then. It still has the same problem today on my Toshiba L775 laptop:Error: 0x8007001F - 0x20006 the installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with error during REPLICATE_OC operation while upgrading to Windows 10 from...
  6. Win 7 to Win 10 Upgrade

Win 7 to Win 10 Upgrade: So I'm biting the bullet and finally upgrading to Win10 from Win7 (upgrading my computer from Win7 hardware to Win10). However I don't have a Win10 key directly, but I do hear you can upgrade from Win7 to 10 for free still. How would this work in my case? Would I install...
  7. win 7 to win 10 upgrade

win 7 to win 10 upgrade: attempting 7 to 10 upgrade with sony tv hdmi interface. Mode not supported and safe mode boot not possible. Do I need to get a vga or dvi cable?? Crazy! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-7-to-win-10-upgrade/880463d6-de67-487c-8428-403179fa6e36
  8. Win 7 upgrade to Win 10

Win 7 upgrade to Win 10: I currently have windows 7 and just found out I was to get a free upgrade to Window 10. How do I acquire it please? * Moved from Insider https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-7-upgrade-to-win-10/660e7921-eca1-4cde-be15-203ea0536f50
  9. upgrade win.7 to win 10

upgrade win.7 to win 10: I have 2 win 7 home that I upgraded to win 10 in my house they are fine But I have a win.7 home 32 bit in my shop out back i decided 2 days ago to upgrade it to windows 10 with media creation tool everything is working fine but I still don't have ver 1511 10586.36 I am...
  10. Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10

Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10: My Gateway laptop has Win7 Sp1 64bit installed. I've tried 5 different times to upgrade to 10. Using the 64bit creative tool the download goes great, completes and the install starts, then says "failed in first boot phase with an error during SYSPREP operation." Also shows...