Windows 10: After Windows 10 1709 Update Monitor Blank after Power Off then On

Discus and support After Windows 10 1709 Update Monitor Blank after Power Off then On in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Good Day Everyone, It has been a long time since I posted here, mostly due to major life changes, loss of jobs, etc. I wish I could be more active.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by WindowsStar, Dec 25, 2017.

1. After Windows 10 1709 Update Monitor Blank after Power Off then On

Good Day Everyone,

It has been a long time since I posted here, mostly due to major life changes, loss of jobs, etc. I wish I could be more active.

In any case. The issue I am having is 1 of my 3 media machines is not working correctly and I cannot figure out what changed. I have 3 Dell 790's (yes I know they are old but they do the job) connected via DisplayPort to HDMI to TVs. All have worked perfectly for the last 3 years and for the last 2 years on Windows 10. 2 days ago I took the 1709 update for all of them, they are on 365x24x7 and are in some state of use throughout the day. All 3 machines took the update fine, all machines work very well. Except, 1 of the machines, when I turn off the TV and come back later the screen is blank, blank like when you are logging into Windows 10 on a 2 monitor system and the second monitor is blank. The machine is running, and everything is working, just the video is gone. I have done a bunch of testing and the machine is working, if I pause a video, turn off the TV and then turn it back on the screen is blank but pressing a key the video starts playing and you can hear the sound. The computer is fine, it is working, just no video. I have tried a bunch of tips in the forum but nothing has worked. BTW swapped the TV just incase, still has the same problem. I have done all the other normal things, scan for viruses, disk corruption, registry issues, etc.

All machines are:

Windows 10 Pro 1709 16299.125
    Intel i5-4590T 2Ghz
    8GB RAM
    Built-in Intel HD GPU 4600
    250GB non-SSD Hard Drive

No downloaded drivers all are from Microsoft ONLY. The only software that is install is VLC, everything else is Microsoft. The machines are only used for NextFlix, YouTube, Internet Browsing (email, etc.), and Playing Music or Videos in VLC. The account used to access them is a standard user, with reduced rights to avoid Internet Infections, or children installing software etc.

Anyone have any idea?

:)

WindowsStar, Dec 25, 2017

2. When after shutdown should power strip be turned off?

I notice that on Windows 10, unlike Windows 7, after starting Shutdown the monitor very quickly goes dark. However, after this there is another 20 to 30 second wait before the power light on the computer case goes off. Do I have to wait until this power
    light on the computer case goes off before I can safely turn off the power strip which supplies power to the computer, monitor, and other peripherals? Or can I safely turn off the power strip as soon as the monitor goes blank?

Robert H. Biggadike, Dec 25, 2017
  3. Monitor turns off then on, off then on.

Hi,

Thank you for responding.

I suggest you to try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Method 1: Run Power troubleshooter and restore the power plans to default

Step 1: I suggest you to run power troubleshooter to check if there is any corruption in the power plan settings and check if it helps.

• Type troubleshooting in the search box on taskbar and click on it in results.

• Click View all and then click
      Power.

• Click Next and follow on-screen instructions.

If the issue persists,

Step 2: Reset and restore the power plans to default:

• Right-click on Start button
      and click on Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In the command prompt, type powercfg –restoredefaultschemes
      and hit Enter.
    • Exit command prompt.
    Note: This would reset the power plan settings to default. Any customized power plans are would be removed.

Method 2: I suggest you to perform a
    Clean boot to
    check if any third party application is causing the issue, as clean boot helps in eliminating software conflicts.

Disclaimer: Putting your system in
    Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to the section “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot” to return the computer to a
    Normal startup mode.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post if the issue still persists for further assistance,

Deepika Gowda, Dec 25, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

After Windows 10 1709 Update Monitor Blank after Power Off then On

1) How come you are not using computer manufacturer drivers?
    2) Are you able to install computer manufacturer or component manufacturer drivers?

3) Run this log collector and post a zip into the thread:
    BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 Forums

4) Please update the system specs in the "My Computer" section:

How To Fill Out Your System Specs
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums:
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums Site Use Tutorials
    In the left corner below in your post you find 'My System Specs'.
    After clicking it you can find a link a little below that says 'Update your System Spec', click on this link to get to the page where you can fill in your system specs.
    System Info - See Your System Specs - Windows 7 Help Forums

Include PSU. cooler, case, peripherals and anything attached to the computer by wired or wireless (mouse, keyboard, headset, printer, xbox, etc.)

5) Open the Dell website > enter the computer's product or serial number > view drivers > post a URL or hyperlink into the thread.

zbook, Dec 25, 2017
  5. Replies Under Questions.

WindowsStar, Dec 25, 2017
  6. zbook New Member
    The log collector will collect multiple files. Please post a zip into the thread for troubleshooting.

Post the computer specs in the 'My Computer section will enable viewers to see the information without having to scroll through pages of posts.

zbook, Dec 25, 2017
  7. I will post as soon as I get out of work.

Computer Specs: I thought of that, that is why I put the computer specs in the original post on the first page, no scrolling needed. *Smile

WindowsStar, Dec 26, 2017
  8. f14tomcat Win User

Hi, @WindowsStar. The reason zbook asked for the specs to be put in your profile, is so they will follow you wherever you post, now and the future. Not everyone will be aware that they need to look at the first post on this thread to find them. The links for instructions are in post #2. It really is helpful to have them readily available at any time. It's speeds up replies to your questions. Thanks.

f14tomcat, Dec 26, 2017
  9. OK, everyone, I am stuck at work. This happens sometimes. I may not be home for 36 to 72 hours. -WS

WindowsStar, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. After Windows 10 1709 Update Monitor Blank after Power Off then On - Similar Threads - 1709 Update Monitor

2. Night Light function reverts to off after monitor blanks and on after selecting Display...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Night Light function reverts to off after monitor blanks and on after selecting Display...: I am still needing a fix for the issue I reported earlier where the Night Light function in Windows 10 reverts to off after monitor blanks and on after selecting Display Properties. This has occurred for years with two different video cards and various drivers. I have tried...
  3. Night Light function reverts to off after monitor blanks and on after selecting Display...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Night Light function reverts to off after monitor blanks and on after selecting Display...: I am still needing a fix for the issue I reported earlier where the Night Light function in Windows 10 reverts to off after monitor blanks and on after selecting Display Properties. This has occurred for years with two different video cards and various drivers. I have tried...
  4. Night Light reverts to off after monitor blanks and on after selecting Display Properties

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Night Light reverts to off after monitor blanks and on after selecting Display Properties: Support, For years I have had a problem with the Night Light feature on a Windows 10 Pro computer, now updated to 22H2, Build 19045.2193. When Night Light is turned on and working normally, after the monitor blanks and then unblanks, the Night light is obviously off as the...
  5. Night Light reverts to off after monitor blanks and on after selecting Display Properties

in Windows 10 Customization
    Night Light reverts to off after monitor blanks and on after selecting Display Properties: Support, For years I have had a problem with the Night Light feature on a Windows 10 Pro computer, now updated to 22H2, Build 19045.2193. When Night Light is turned on and working normally, after the monitor blanks and then unblanks, the Night light is obviously off as the...
  6. Windows update failing after 1709

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update failing after 1709: Hi I have a rather aged samsung RF510 which has been updated to Windows 10 when that became available. However, since the updates of 1709 no other release update has succeeded in being installed. !709 updates sometimes work. Any that go through the routine of downloading...
  7. Monitors are blank after wakeup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Monitors are blank after wakeup: When I wake up the system from sleep, the monitors are blank. The keyboard does not show activity - its LED indicators, such as Caps Lock or Num Lock, do not light up when pressing the respective keys. If I soft reset the system, the same thing happens. I have to forcefully...
  8. Monitor powers on after computer turns it off

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Monitor powers on after computer turns it off: Trying to find how to keep monitor off after I lock the PC. What I do: 1. Monitor powers off after 1 minute when PC is locked 2. In few seconds computer plays sound like it detects new hardware, monitors wakes up and shows "No Cable Connected". 3. Then monitor turns off....
  9. Monitor power cycling after October Update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Monitor power cycling after October Update: HI, After installing the last update of win10 my main monitor (Acer 27'') will not get past the brand flash screen, it just powers on and off at a rate of 2 seconds. Its a new monitor has been working as it should until the update and the other two monitors are working...
  10. Monitor black/blank after 1709 update

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Monitor black/blank after 1709 update: I have a dual monitor setup that was previously working prior to updating to 1709. My main monitor is an ASUS VG248QE using display port. This monitor is working fine. My secondary monitor is an old NEC LCD 1920 NX monitor using DVI cable. Both are plugged into my GPU NVidia...