Windows 10: After Windows 10 Reset, Start Menu, Cortana, Settings not working

Discus and support After Windows 10 Reset, Start Menu, Cortana, Settings not working in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; After resetting my Surface Pro 4, it's essentially non-functional. I can't bring up the Start Menu. I can't type anything in the Search Bar. Cortana... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ChrisJBreisch, Jul 15, 2018.

1. After Windows 10 Reset, Start Menu, Cortana, Settings not working

After resetting my Surface Pro 4, it's essentially non-functional.

I can't bring up the Start Menu. I can't type anything in the Search Bar. Cortana doesn't work. If I do a Win+R ms-settings:, I get "Package could not be registered.". Edge does not open.

I've done the basic dism commands and sfc. I've created a new user account. I've done the Powershell package register command. No joy.

Store and Mail apps appear to work properly.

winver says that I"m running 1803.

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

ChrisJBreisch, Jul 15, 2018
  2. Arul_D Win User

Start menu and Cortana is not working in Windows 10

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

• What are the steps you have followed to reset your PC?

• Do you get any error code or error message?
    I would suggest you to refer to the following Microsoft help article to resolve issues with start menu and cortana. Refer to the below link:

Get help with the Windows 10 Start menu:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

I hope this information helps.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank you

Arul_D, Jul 15, 2018
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Jul 15, 2018
  4. After Windows 10 Reset, Start Menu, Cortana, Settings not working

Start menu is not working on Windows 10

Hi,

Iunderstand the frustration if things are not working fine as expected.

Please help us with below details,

• When you say "If I sign in under my user name I am in some earlier version", which version you are referring to?

• Did you made any recent changes to your computer prior to the issue?

• When you say “I cannot access the start menu and am limited to IP as a browser” Is it refers to Microsoft Edge?

As an initial steps, I suggest you to check for the Windows version. To do so, follow the below steps:

1) Login to your computer through user name on which it show earlier version of Windows.

2) Press Windows key + r.

3) Type winver, hit enter.

For the issue related to start menu, I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft help article and check,

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ubleshoot-problems-opening-start-menu-cortana

Reply with results and necessary information to help you further.

Thank you.

Krishna Priya V, Jul 15, 2018
Thema:

After Windows 10 Reset, Start Menu, Cortana, Settings not working

1. After Windows 10 Reset, Start Menu, Cortana, Settings not working - Similar Threads - Reset Start Menu

2. Start menu and Cortana not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu and Cortana not working: Hi, I uninstalled a quality update of windows 11 because my computer has been freezing several times and after I uninstalled, my computer went well for only a few minutes before it freezed again. My cursor was the only thing that can move while my PC frozed. It showed me a...
  3. Start menu and Cortana not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu and Cortana not working: Hi, I uninstalled a quality update of windows 11 because my computer has been freezing several times and after I uninstalled, my computer went well for only a few minutes before it freezed again. My cursor was the only thing that can move while my PC frozed. It showed me a...
  4. Windows 10 Start Menu and Cortana Not Working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Start Menu and Cortana Not Working: When I select the Start Menu, the menu does not appear. Same with using the Windows button on keyboard. I cannot access the Start Menu. How do I correct this? Thank you....
  5. Start menu not working, Cortana not working.

Start menu not working, Cortana not working.: I'm on Windows 10 and the following stopped working: Start menu Cortana Notifications on task bar Wifi connections list button on task bar Windows + I ( We couldn't connect to Microsoft family right now, so your family on this device might not be up to date) I...
  6. Start Menu / Settings / Edge / Cortana - None are working...!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu / Settings / Edge / Cortana - None are working...!: Hi - I'm having trouble with windows on my Surface Pro. I'm using Windows 10 Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.165). On my toolbar the following items are unresponsive to left clicks: Start Menu Cortana Any items in the far right corner (calendar, wifi, battery, etc)...
  7. Start and cortana not working after factory resets

Start and cortana not working after factory resets: I have a Smartab with Windows 10. At first I was having problems with the microphone and Cortana not being able to hear me. So I reset the entire thing. Now when I try to push on the start I just get the loading blue ring and nothing after that. When I try to type in cortana,...
  8. Start Menu and Cortana Not Working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu and Cortana Not Working: So for the past couple of months I've been dealing with this issue. I managed to fix a couple of other issues with my computer, mainly wifi driver issues but I still can't open up my start menu or cortana. Another Issue I have are daily blue screens from driver failure fslx....
  9. start menu is not working and cortana

in Windows 10 Support
    start menu is not working and cortana: suddenly my start menu and cortana is not working please help fast 33252
  10. Cortana and Start Menu Not Working

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana and Start Menu Not Working: After the most recent Windows Update, the Start Menu and Cortana stopped working. You can't type in the search bar and can't click on anything in the Start Menu. This is Windows 10 on a Dell XPS that was originally Windows 7. I tried a bunch of things and when I did a sfc...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cortana not working after reset

2. reset cortana to allow start menu search

3. start menu not working after reset