Windows 10: After Windows 10 Upgrade, Most Apps in Start Menu are Gone...

Discus and support After Windows 10 Upgrade, Most Apps in Start Menu are Gone... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; ...and there doesn't appear to be a way to add new apps. I asked a pair of questions on this topic over at SuperUser that is outlining my issues... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by CleverPatrick, Aug 6, 2015.

1. After Windows 10 Upgrade, Most Apps in Start Menu are Gone...

...and there doesn't appear to be a way to add new apps.

I asked a pair of questions on this topic over at SuperUser that is outlining my issues with the start menu in Windows 10.

The summary is that the Start Menu seems to be relatively broken for me after doing a Windows 10 upgrade.

If I go to Start > All Apps I do NOT see all the apps that are in the two "Start Menu" folders [1]. I do not know why this is.

If I try to search for an application that is c:\windows\System32 by typing in part of the name ("note" to show "notepad", "paint" to show "mspaint"), those applications are not found. However, if I type in the full name ("mspaint" or "notepad"), the applications are found with the title of "run command" [2], and not "desktop app" [3]. All these applications should show up as Desktop App.

Also, I am unable to drag and drop any file onto the start menu (neither by right-click on explorer and choosing "pin to start" nor by dragging and dropping a shortcut to the start menu).

I've tried everything I can think of to solve this problem. I am not sure what to try next. It is extremely irritating because it makes launching an application very frustrating now.

Any help would be awesome.

[1] the two folders are:
    C:\Users\Patrick\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
    and
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

[2] screenshot of an app that shows up as "run command"

After Windows 10 Upgrade, Most Apps in Start Menu are Gone... [​IMG]

[3] screenshot of an app that shows up as "Desktop App"

After Windows 10 Upgrade, Most Apps in Start Menu are Gone... [​IMG]

:)

CleverPatrick, Aug 6, 2015
  2. ATWCREW Win User

Windows 10 - Critical Error: Start Menu Isn't Working

I recently upgraded to windows 10 and started to receive a critical error with the start menu after a week in. I tried different solutions through command prompt and none of them worked. I noticed that most my apps would work until I attempted to use
    edge. Edge became my default browser when upgrading to windows 10, so I changed the default browser to explorer 11 and the critical error has gone away.

ATWCREW, Aug 6, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Update

After the Windows 10 update on my laptop, many icons are gone and what is left is rearranged. Most of the apps I downloaded are gone - not in the "All Apps" section nor on my Start Menu like they were before. Do I have to download apps again and try
    to remember where everything was before? What about the icons I had?

gizmocat57, Aug 6, 2015
  4. After Windows 10 Upgrade, Most Apps in Start Menu are Gone...

Can anyone help with this? I've started a bounty over on SuperUser for a very similar question. Even suggesting something to try would be great.

CleverPatrick, Aug 9, 2015
Thema:

After Windows 10 Upgrade, Most Apps in Start Menu are Gone...

1. After Windows 10 Upgrade, Most Apps in Start Menu are Gone... - Similar Threads - Upgrade Apps Start

2. Windows 10 Start-Menu Thumbnails are Gone.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Start-Menu Thumbnails are Gone.: Hi I have windows 10 home on my laptop, and most apps in the start menu have icons that look like pages. [ATTACH] I have tried running the windows 10 start menu troubleshooter, but I have gotten these errors and they weren't fixed. [ATTACH][ATTACH] Can someone please help...
  3. windows start menu gone

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows start menu gone: how can i download a windows 10 start menu https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-start-menu-gone/55fa09ed-190f-439e-804f-4a47a959971f
  4. Start menu gone

Start menu gone: After upgrading it appears that my Start Menu is no longer displaying. Any ideas on how to fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-gone/a2f9827e-679b-4bd8-9122-1e4ed74e59d4
  5. Windows 10 - Start Menu - Most used Apps listing

Windows 10 - Start Menu - Most used Apps listing: I have enabled the ALL my Settings > Personalisation > Start options. My Settings > Privacy >General options are also ALL enabled. I do not have most used listing or recently added listing displayed. Please help me fix this problem...
  6. Reset Start Menu Most Used Apps In Windows 10

Reset Start Menu Most Used Apps In Windows 10: Hi, I have finally found a simple way to reset Start menu Most Used Apps in Windows 10. To reset it please follow these steps: Open Start menu > Launch Settings app >Privacy >General >Disable (Allow Windows to track app launches to improve Start and search results)>...
  7. Start menu gone

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start menu gone: Two of our Windows 10 computers have suddenly lost their start menus, and now Word documents can't be opened. What to do? Sandy https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-gone/4f701a57-d981-4243-8e01-5874ecfd005e
  8. Start menu is gone

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Start menu is gone: Since last update, my start menu is gone and none of my taskbar shortcuts are working? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/start-menu-is-gone/e3195ce7-f566-4e68-8a19-332a23948909
  9. Enable or Disable Most Used Apps on Start Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Most Used Apps on Start Menu in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Most Used Apps on Start Menu in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Most Used Apps on Start Menu in Windows 10 The Most used group on your Start menu All apps list will show up to 6 of your frequently opened apps to make it easier to open them...
  10. Most desktop icons gone + start menu wacky

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Most desktop icons gone + start menu wacky: Been using Win10 for many, many months running with windows 7 format . This morning On logging in with password, it recognized me by username, BUT it then said "Preparing Windows". The desktop had only about 10 of the 50+ icons. Background image is gone. Start menu has none...