Windows 10: AHCI installation every time on startup?

Discus and support AHCI installation every time on startup? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; While running Win7 (before upgrading) I was using IDE for disks and manually switched to AHCI and installed it in Windows, but now there is an extra... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by hatemf23, Aug 2, 2016.

1. hatemf23 Win User

AHCI installation every time on startup?

While running Win7 (before upgrading) I was using IDE for disks and manually switched to AHCI and installed it in Windows, but now there is an extra loading screen on every bootup that takes 15-20 secs with "AHCI is installed" at the end, is this extra loading process normal or is it installing itself every time? Sorry if it seems obvious, this is my first time using AHCI.

:)

hatemf23, Aug 2, 2016
  2. haraldcam Win User

Does Windows 10 modify the BIOS?

I experienced the same, I could hardly believe it: I changed my BIOS setting from AHCI to IDE for compatibility with my new mSATA, but now several times (although not every time) after running Windows 10, surprisingly the computer booted with a loud beep
    and not only the boot sound had been turned on, also AHCI was turned back on. Then I put it back to IDE and turn the boot sound off, and wait for the next time!

haraldcam, Aug 2, 2016
  3. Black screen with cursor, windows won't boot drive can't be found

KingZatMan,

I have had EXACTLY the same issue with one of my laptops, an HP 350G1, in which I replaced the mechanical HD with an Adata SP600. Firmware version of Adata SP600 is v2.5. The problem occurs when the computer does a full reboot.

I had ZERO problems for the past 6 months or so before the Anniversary Update.

I updated all the drivers and even forced an AHCI update (since HP's AHCI drivers are out of date as compared to the Intel drivers). Updating the AHCI driver helped, but absolutely did NOT fix the problem. Before updating the AHCI driver, the problem you
    described would happen every single time the computer would hibernate or reboot. After updating the AHCI it still happens, but only about 1 in 3 times when rebooting.

My advice -- get a different SSD. Obviously waiting for a driver update is hopeless.

Matthew__73, Aug 2, 2016
  4. AndreTen Win User

This extra screen is not something usual.

Check device manager, if you have proper AHCI drivers installed, an also what is running at startup (task manager is good for first look)

AndreTen, Aug 3, 2016
  5. Mystere Win User
    Are you referring to the POST screen? When you first power on, before Windows even starts loading? If so, that's a function of your BIOS and there is nothing that can be done to fix that (other than turning off AHCI or getting a new motherboard).

Mystere, Aug 3, 2016
  6. Kbird Win User
    Kbird, Aug 3, 2016
  7. hatemf23 Win User
    Well it seems to be installed, the only thing unusual is a strange drive name in the drive list and this mysterious "recovery" partition that is empty.

AHCI installation every time on startup? [​IMG]

AHCI installation every time on startup? [​IMG]

It's an extra screen in the post stage (before windows) that specifically talks about AHCI, normal POST screen is still there.

I switched it in win7 before upgrading to 10 so I followed the 1st guide but sadly it doesn't mention anything about loading/installation screens.

hatemf23, Aug 3, 2016
  8. Mystere Win User

That's what I thought. Many older motherboards have this because AHCI was a BIOS extension. Newer UEFI motherboards have AHCI built-in to the firmware, so you don't see something like that.

As I said above, it's not something you can control short of turning off AHCI or getting a new motherboard.

Mystere, Aug 3, 2016
  9. Kbird Win User
    Mystere is correct I believe , I get the same thing for my Raid Controller , even on my new X99 system. It is the Bios setting up the AHCI Bios Driver (extension), on my x99 system with Raid0, that happens even before it Posts.

The 450mb Recovery partition is normal in windows 10 , it should contain the Win10 recovery Environment and a File called Wim.re , which you will probably need a program like Minitool Partition Wizard 9 to see , with it's "explore" Drive (partition) Option as the Recovery files are usually hidden and or Protected by Windows 10 .

Kbird, Aug 3, 2016
  10. hatemf23 Win User
    Thanks.

Also Thanks, so its normal for this part to show as 'empty'?

hatemf23, Aug 3, 2016
  11. AndreTen Win User
    Hatemf23, it would be good to specify your motherboard anyway. Because in the last 10 years or so, PCs don't need more than few seconds to go through the BIOS and 20 sec for this screen seems a bit too much for me.

AndreTen, Aug 3, 2016
  12. hatemf23 Win User
    Its a EX58-UD3R which is kind of old, so it makes sense. also 20 secs might be a bit too much I never measured it but its somewhere around 10-15 secs, which is not a big deal as long as the BIOS is working as its supposed to.

hatemf23, Aug 3, 2016
  13. AndreTen Win User

This is capable motherboard and such behavior is a no-go!
    Make sure that your drives are connected to Intel SATA ports (color is described in manual) and install drivers for Intel Rapid storage. No need for Gigabyte drivers unless you are running out of Intel SATA ports.

Just to mention, if you'll use Intel SATA ports you can disable extra settings in BIOS and everything will work fine (even use Windows drivers). Check manuals, if you won't be able to set up properly, we can do that for you *Smile

AndreTen, Aug 3, 2016
  14. Kbird Win User
    I have the Gigabyte X58a-UD3R as well and this is normal , especially if Fastboot is Off , personally I leave it off to make sure the Bios finds everything it should.

Even on my new X99A II MB it takes 15sec from button push to the Post Beep on a Cold boot as it is Training Memory, from there it then loads the Intel Raid Bios and then Posts , so probably another 10-15 secs. It is not a laptop *Smile , though many complain about slow booting on X99 Chipset Boards.

KB

Kbird, Aug 3, 2016
  15. Kbird Win User
    Empty in What ? how are you looking ? it is a hidden partition and access is blocked usually , it why I normally use Minitool Partition Wizard .... RC on the partition and choose Explore

I have had issue on my UD3R too getting the Recovery files on the Recovery Drive , if they aren't there Win10 usually puts them on C:\ Drive in a Folder called Recovery instead.

Kbird, Aug 3, 2016
Thema:

1. AHCI installation every time on startup? - Similar Threads - AHCI installation every

2. problems with time on windows 11. Time delaying with every startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    problems with time on windows 11. Time delaying with every startup: Hiya.. for some time now i have some problems with clock on windows 11. Every time i turn on my pc, the time delays for a few more seconds. Like when i do synchronize it, it's alright but then after day it start delaying 5 seconds, next day it starts to delay for around 12...
  3. problems with time on windows 11. Time delaying with every startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    problems with time on windows 11. Time delaying with every startup: Hiya.. for some time now i have some problems with clock on windows 11. Every time i turn on my pc, the time delays for a few more seconds. Like when i do synchronize it, it's alright but then after day it start delaying 5 seconds, next day it starts to delay for around 12...
  4. Microsoft Store crashes on startup every time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Store crashes on startup every time: Every time I try to launch Microsoft Store it immediately crashes and when I look in Event Viewer, a new Error appears from that time in Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Application:Faulting application name: WinStore.App.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x65529fd7Faulting...
  5. Microsoft Store crashes on startup every time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Store crashes on startup every time: Every time I try to launch Microsoft Store it immediately crashes and when I look in Event Viewer, a new Error appears from that time in Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Application:Faulting application name: WinStore.App.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x65529fd7Faulting...
  6. 100% Disk on startup every time

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    100% Disk on startup every time: Every boot my disk runs at 100% for 5-10 mins and will go back to normal. After it returns to normal it can also spike to 100 when any program is opened. Other than what's shown in the screenshot I have seen PowerShell, Edge installer, Cryptographic Services, and SysMain...
  7. Desktop.txt file opening on startup every time.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop.txt file opening on startup every time.: Every time I start the computer it opens by itself. I usually close it but it's starting to bother me. It just started popping up one day, don't know why, maybe a month ago. submitted by /u/jacceteer [link] [comments]...
  8. [HELP] Frustratingly long time to startup after restarting every time

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [HELP] Frustratingly long time to startup after restarting every time: My laptop takes around five minutes every time I restart. It usually takes less than 10 seconds due to the SSD. Could it be because I've turned on insider updates ? I have checked my task manager and disabled all non essential apps to run on startup - Spotify , Discord,...
  9. Crashing every time after startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Crashing every time after startup: Hello Tenforums. Every time I start my computer its crashes 10 minutes afterwards, and it also did it back when i was using windows 7. I have uploaded my debug zip file to this thread. Attachment 30608 - Morten Abrahamsen 15444
  10. Microsoft Word Loading at every startup mutliple times

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Microsoft Word Loading at every startup mutliple times: Hi, I really hope someone can help me. Every time I boot up my computer running windows 10, microsoft word will open up the normal.dotm template multiple times. I have attached a screenshot to show you. I have tried looking in the startup folder, registry...