Windows 10: All apps in Start menu missing some links/app

Discus and support All apps in Start menu missing some links/app in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; To start some apps I put my personal links in a folder created in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs". For example as administrator... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by AngeloGr, Aug 20, 2018.

1. AngeloGr Win User

All apps in Start menu missing some links/app

To start some apps I put my personal links in a folder created in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs". For example as administrator in DOS box

md "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\My_Apps"

copy *.lnk "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\My_Apps"

and My_Apps is visible in Start Menu - All Apps under "M" letter.

Now, I would to test a new set of links so tried

MD "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\My_Apps_Test"

COPY test*.lnk "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\My_Apps_Test"

but My_Apps_Test does not show up in Start Menu - All Apps.

I can still see, and it works, My_Apps created last year, Jul 2017, after re-installation from scratch of Win10 CU. Indeed I can "Open path to file" for the links it contains and in this way I can reach "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\My_Apps_Test" with Explorer. So the folder and the file are there but not visible in Start Menu - All Apps.

All this occurs on both my machine with Win 10 Pro 64 and on the machine with Win 10 Home 64 (both at version 10.0.17134.228).

At the moment I do not have apps to install or to upgrade so I can't say if this regards other folders/links in Start Menu - All Apps.

A thing I find "strange" is that I need administrative permissions to create

"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\My_Apps_Test"

but I can remove it (RD) also as simple no-admin. user...

Any idea about what happened and how to fix it? It seems a bug introduced by some Windows update... Do you confirm?

:)

AngeloGr, Aug 20, 2018

2. Apple Claims Steam Link App Violates App Store Guidelines

Here's what Valve is contending with:
    App Store Review Guidelines - Apple Developer

The ones that stand out that may have caught Steam Link:
    So yeah, there's a lot of reasons why Steam Link would get rejected.

App submissions and approvals is a thing between developer and Apple. Valve intentionally let this information leak probably because Apple's restrictive guidlines will never allow Steam Link to be on the store. Valve is hoping the Steam user base makes a lot of noise so Apple grants Valve and exemption. I doubt it will work. Apple loves control and Steam Link is a portal into the Linux/Windows ecosystem. Even if Steam Link were exclusive to Mac OS, Apple would likely demand Valve use Mac OS's remote desktop features rather than Steam Link.

I'd be shocked if Apple allows it.

FordGT90Concept, Aug 20, 2018
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    missing icons in start menu

Hi Wickiwizard,

It is possible that the icon of your apps in Start menu is missing due to a corrupted system files. To provide you the accurate resolution, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Does this happen only with icons in Start menu?
    • What troubleshooting steps you've done so far?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you perform the steps in this
    article
    on how to troubleshoot problems with Start menu or Cortana.

If the issue still persists, we recommend that you follow the suggestion shared by
    Meliton Dec on this thread.
    The given troubleshooting steps will help repair or reset not only missing apps but also lost icon.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Aug 20, 2018
  4. All apps in Start menu missing some links/app

Windows 10 Start Menu all apps / tiles missing

So I woke my computer up from sleep last night and this is what I was welcomed with:

All apps in Start menu missing some links/app [​IMG]

All of a sudden my start menu had no apps listed and no live tiles to speak of. So I did my googleing and I found this microsoft answer page: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...0-b988cd6da49a

I tried every step in their. After all said and done, I got installed programs to show up, but the live tiles that usually show to the right did not come back. I was ok with that, thinking I would work on this today and find a solution to that problem.

I just woke up the computer again from sleep and the start menu is blank AGAIN. Before this started happening last night, I have not installed any new software nor has windows ran any updates.

I'm at a loss. I tried system recovery and to roll back to a few days prior, but I keep getting an error after recovery is attempted stating that windows recovery wasn't able to fully complete due to a certain file (i can retry recovery and post picture of error if needed).

So any suggestions on whats my next step? I thought maybe I had a malware issue, but II have avast and malware antibytes installed and they showed no hits when the scans where run.

Any suggestions or guidance is greatly appreciated. Hope you all have a Great Turkey Day!

PS, I have to work today from 4pm to 6am, so If I do not reply right away I apologize.

Dalumberjack03, Aug 20, 2018
Thema:

All apps in Start menu missing some links/app

1. All apps in Start menu missing some links/app - Similar Threads - apps Start menu

2. Start menu missing right click menu options as well as app logos for some apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu missing right click menu options as well as app logos for some apps: Having this issue with Windows 10 running on a HP Z Book laptop.When I right click on some programs/apps in the start menu and windows search, the only option that appears is to pin or unpin it from the start menu. Additionally, any program which is missing the normal right...
  3. Start menu missing right click menu options as well as app logos for some apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu missing right click menu options as well as app logos for some apps: Having this issue with Windows 10 running on a HP Z Book laptop.When I right click on some programs/apps in the start menu and windows search, the only option that appears is to pin or unpin it from the start menu. Additionally, any program which is missing the normal right...
  4. Start menu missing right click menu options as well as app logos for some apps

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Some apps dimmed on start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Some apps dimmed on start menu: I've just noticed that some of the tiles on the start menu are dimmed and the corresponding names in the list have a gray bar underneath them. What does this mean? The apps themselves seem to work correctly. See picture. Calendar, mail and calculator are affected. [ATTACH]...
  6. All apps in start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    All apps in start menu: So I just installed the anniversary update and it changed the start menu so it is now showing "All apps", I have browsed the settings but can't seem to figure out how to turn this off... I want to turn off the list that appears to the left that is showing all the crap...
  7. All Apps in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    All Apps in Start Menu: Hi. My computer received what appears to be a large Windows 10 update (many of my settings seemed to have defaulted back). One setting that puzzles me is that when I launch the Start Menu, the "All Apps" menu is expanded instead of the one I had (see the picture below). I...
  8. Desktop/Win32 apps missing from Start Menu "All Apps" and search

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop/Win32 apps missing from Start Menu "All Apps" and search: Hi, I'm having an issue and I'm wondering if anyone else has any ideas on what to do about it. Some desktop apps are missing from the "All apps" section of the Start menu. Most programs are there, but I'd say 10-15% are missing. Apps that are missing also do not show up...
  9. All Apps on Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    All Apps on Start Menu: I gotta question. It's not a big deal, but I'm kinda anal. The all apps button on the left edge of the start menu: on my menu it's up at the top of the menu. On every picture I've ever seen, the all apps button is at the bottom left of the menu right above the Start...
  10. Windows 10 Start Menu all apps / tiles missing

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Start Menu all apps / tiles missing: So I woke my computer up from sleep last night and this is what I was welcomed with: [img] All of a sudden my start menu had no apps listed and no live tiles to speak of. So I did my googleing and I found this microsoft answer page:...