Windows 10: All disks marked "dirty" after game crash

Discus and support All disks marked "dirty" after game crash in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have 6 disks - Win7 & Win7 backup (HDD), Win10 (HDD) and Win10 backup on SSD and two USB external drives used for daily backup. I was playing Deus... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by dlwmacgregor, Jan 19, 2017.

1. All disks marked "dirty" after game crash

I have 6 disks - Win7 & Win7 backup (HDD), Win10 (HDD) and Win10 backup on SSD and two USB external drives used for daily backup.

I was playing Deus Ex;Mankind Divided on the SSD and I got a Win10 Blue Screen SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION error.
    The PC turned off and then came back on and booted.
    All the drives were marked as "dirty".

Why were all the drives marked "dirty"? Why not just the one I was running the game on?

This happened last week the same way and I had to run CHKDSK /R on all the drives to clear the "dirty bit". The SSD was the only drive on which it found errors (and fixed them).

As a side note, if I run the game at the same point I was at on the HDD Win10 drive I don't get an exception error.
    Samsung Magician software reports the SSD drive health as "perfect".

:)

dlwmacgregor, Jan 19, 2017
  2. musum Win User

" SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

SO HERE'S THE LINK TO THAT PIC

http://i26.tinypic.com/2ihbdco.jpg

CAN U PLZ CHECK IT ACTUALLY I HAVE USED THE NOKIA SOFTWARE UPDATER B4 ... BUT I DONT KNW WHY I M GETTING THIS ERROR NOW

musum, Jan 19, 2017
  3. musum Win User
    " SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

i have installed windows xp sp2

previously i was using windows media center i thought i might b facing this probs due to that but then i changed it to windows xp ! n moreover i have also shown to nokia service center executives but they were not having the latest updates available ......
    my pc suite is showing that new update version of firmware is available but i cudnt download it All disks marked "dirty" after game crash :(

oh gawd wat to do ? All disks marked "dirty" after game crash :(

i tried in another pc then again i got an error u need to have minimum 256 ram All disks marked "dirty" after game crash :(

please cant it b rectified ? there must b any solution to this probs please help me guyz

god bless all of u thanx All disks marked "dirty" after game crash :)

musum, Jan 19, 2017
  4. All disks marked "dirty" after game crash

First I would start with shutting off the automatic restart.

Press Windows Key +R, type sysdm.cpl, enter, click Advance tab, click on “Setting” in Startup and Recovery section. Remove check mark from Automatically restart.

With it off you can see which driver or library failed and stop code.

You may wish to check out Whocrashed or BlueScreenView to see what information it provides as to possible crash reason. Likely a driver and as it seems to point to storage, works with HDD, not SSD.

For expert help I would post in BSOD section.

BSOD Crashes and Debugging - Windows 10 Forums

Please read and follow the directions on the very first thread, right at top, it is a sticky. You need to run the tool and attach the zip file to your posting. If you want to add information, until someone responds, please edit your original post. The volunteers working that section action threads with no replies.

They know what they are doing but need you to supply the information. Make sure you either update your system specs within your profile or add them to your posting. Explain what you do to make the BSOD happen, it could very well help.

As to why all were marked dirty I can only suggest your system crashed, windows recognized it as storage, but simple can't tell which drive. The real issue is the root cause of the crash.

Caledon Ken, Jan 20, 2017
  5. Thanks Ken.
    I will follow your suggestions.
    One strange thing about the "dirty" drives.
    I booted into Win7 and ran CHKDSK on the 2 Win10 drives (1 HDD and 1 SDD). It found some errors plus tons of "Extended Atribute" errors.
    Then I booted into the HDD Win10 and ran CHKDSK on the Win7 drive above. BUT...before I did that, I ran CHKNTFS on the remaining drives (2 Win7 drives - primary and backup) and the 2 external USB drives. It reported them all "dirty". After the CHKDSK was done on the Win7 drive and found no errors, I reran CHKNTFS on the 3 remaining drives and they were all clean!
    But I hadn't yet run CHKDSK on them. How would the "dirty bit" have been cleared?

Update: I made the changes to sysdm and will try and "force" the error soon by playing the game.

The reason why Windows 7 Fresh Install is showing as my default OS is because I multi-boot using EasyBCD. The Fresh Install is my main OS.
    I have 2 Win7 OEM licences, one of which I upgraded to Win10 when it was released.

dlwmacgregor, Jan 20, 2017
  6. Since your system is set to create dumps, try one of tools. Likely you have a bunch of dumps so you can see pattern.

Caledon Ken, Jan 20, 2017
  7. I will, thanks.

UPDATE: New post started in BSOD forum...ZIP file uploaded.

dlwmacgregor, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

All disks marked "dirty" after game crash

1. All disks marked "dirty" after game crash - Similar Threads - disks marked dirty

2. windows 11 destroyed itself after marking my disk as dirty

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 destroyed itself after marking my disk as dirty: i was running my pc today everything was normal then i got a notification saying my disk needs to be checked i ran the chkdsk /f then my pc started bootlooping into automatic repair thankfully i found a recent restore point to save my pc i lost some work but i restored it all...
  3. windows 11 destroyed itself after marking my disk as dirty

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 destroyed itself after marking my disk as dirty: i was running my pc today everything was normal then i got a notification saying my disk needs to be checked i ran the chkdsk /f then my pc started bootlooping into automatic repair thankfully i found a recent restore point to save my pc i lost some work but i restored it all...
  4. I can't mark my drive as dirty

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    I can't mark my drive as dirty: Hi i can't mark my drive as dirtythanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-mark-my-drive-as-dirty/3d1fb200-ca23-4142-ab89-0c3033d124bb
  5. I can't mark my drive as dirty

I can't mark my drive as dirty: Hi i can't mark my drive as dirtythanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-mark-my-drive-as-dirty/3d1fb200-ca23-4142-ab89-0c3033d124bb
  6. Drive is marked as dirty after each reboot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive is marked as dirty after each reboot: Hi,after the installation of 22H2 last week my drive C: constantly marks as dirty, with the permanent check every startup. Disk is Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB and it is absolutely good.What can cause that odd behavior?...
  7. Drive is marked as dirty after each reboot

Drive is marked as dirty after each reboot: Hi,after the installation of 22H2 last week my drive C: constantly marks as dirty, with the permanent check every startup. Disk is Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB and it is absolutely good.What can cause that odd behavior?...
  8. Drive is marked as dirty

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drive is marked as dirty: About a week ago, my computer started giving me a message "Disk checking, press any key to skip" before booting into windows. If I skipped, windows would boot normally and work fine. If I didn't skip, it would say "Scanning and repairing C: x%" and boot into windows normally....
  9. Marking disk a dirty.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Marking disk a dirty.: I know that you can use Fsutil to mark a volume as dirty. This in turn has the autochk run on the selected volume. But I was wondering if there was a way to mark the whole drive for chkdsk during the next reboot. Oh, this has to be done via cmd and one line commands. We use a...
  10. Marking disk a dirty.

in Windows 10 Support
    Marking disk a dirty.: I know that you can use Fsutil to mark a volume as dirty. This in turn has the autochk run on the selected volume. But I was wondering if there was a way to mark the whole drive for chkdsk during the next reboot. Oh, this has to be done via cmd and one line commands. We use a...