Windows 10: All files go to Download

Discus and support All files go to Download in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In Windows 10, when I try to open a file within a page or open an attachment it always goes to the Download folder rather than opening. This to say the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by barcar, Feb 21, 2016.

1. barcar Win User

All files go to Download

In Windows 10, when I try to open a file within a page or open an attachment it always goes to the Download folder rather than opening. This to say the least is frustrating. This never happened when using Windows 8.1. Is there any way to prevent this happening?

:)

barcar, Feb 21, 2016
  2. Swapna S Win User

Where does all the storage/data/memory/GB go to?

Hi,

I will certainly help with the issue you are experiencing with the storages space on your computer.

This issue might occur, if the Windows updates are automatically updated/installed on your computer or might be issue related to any third party application conflict.

I suggest you to place your computer in clean boot state and check if it helps.

Refer to the below link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Mean while check for which all updates are installed recently and how much space it occupies.

Follow the below steps:

1) Type setting in the search area on the taskbar and select Settings.

2) Select Update and Security.

3) Click on Advance Option button.

4) Click on View your Update History.

Disclaimer for Clean boot:
    please put the Computer back to normal state.

Please get back to us if you still facing issue with the storages space on your computer.

Thank you.

Swapna S, Feb 21, 2016
  3. Geo I-R Win User
    Where does all the storage/data/memory/GB go to?

Hello, I recently found that my computer was using 15GB of saved storage for windows old. Finally locating the file and deleting it via Disc Cleanup. I woke up the next morning and bam..... around 15GB lost and no other Windows Old or Backup was created
    and I have searched within the C drive which that is where it is taking the amount of space into I don't know folder. then the third day it took 3 more GB out of no where I don't remember any update or game update at all. Finally a third day I got say 2 GB
    back but still missing the whole 15GB that magically is disappearing somewhere. I ran antivirus software and nothing was found also I noticed this also happened when I have a version of Windows 7 but did not upgrade from that version, I ended up buying a new
    copy of retailed version of Windows 10 to start fresh.

Can someone please help me as this is the most annoying and frustrating thing that I come across since I would like to know where my GB is going.

Any help or advice. Thanks...

Geo I-R, Feb 21, 2016
  4. robgr Win User

All files go to Download

Check your program defaults for the browser as I've seen this happen when they're not correct for that file type

robgr, Feb 21, 2016
  5. swarfega Win User
    If you are using Edge, there doesn't seem to be an option to change the download location and its an oversight on Microsoft's part. Parts a visit to the feedback app might be an idea.

swarfega, Feb 21, 2016
  6. gpstoloff Win User
    Right-clicking on the file will show a menu choice for "Save target as". That opens a dialog box that defaults to "Username/Downloads", but that will permit you to select your location to save to.

gpstoloff, Feb 22, 2016
  7. barcar Win User
    Thanks to robgr, swarfega and gpstoloff for your comments.
    robgr - I have failed to find anywhere in any of my browsers to change where files go. I use IE, Mozilla Firefox and Edge. Maybe I have been looking in the wrong places.
    swarfega - Thanks for your comments.
    gpstoloff - When I right-click on anything I want to open, I don't get "Save target as" as an option.
    I guess I shall have to just put up with the situation but thanks again for your comments.

barcar, Mar 4, 2016
  8. Dadicator Win User

All files go to Download

Please search for the solution online -- it's there --- use "How to change Default Download Save Folder?" found solutions for all major browsers (-Edge) all Mozilla type Options => General => Download Location MS IE 11 =>Settings

Dadicator, Mar 4, 2016
  9. Jillibaby Win User
    I'm having the same problem, where I am not able to open a file without saving it first. Is there a way to change the setting from defaulting to saving a file before opening it?
    Thank you for any help you can provide.

Jillibaby, May 5, 2016
  10. barcar Win User
    Jillibaby

See post from Dadicator in this thread. I have gone to Options in the Firefox browser Menu and actioned the Downloads item to"Always ask me where to save files". Seems to work most of the time. Bon chance.

barcar, May 6, 2016
  11. mrgeek Win User
    "I have gone to Options in the Firefox browser Menu and actioned the Downloads item to"Always ask me where to save files"."
    Yes, it's a browser settings not an OS setting. You can go one step further in Firefox. Open 'Options' and hit 'Applications' tab. Then scroll down to file type, let's say, PDF. Select options to the right in drop down box. Ditto for mp3's or jpg's if you have a preference all the time instead of 'Download'.

All files go to Download [​IMG]

mrgeek, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

All files go to Download

1. All files go to Download - Similar Threads - files Download

2. How to delete file with a long name from Downloads folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to delete file with a long name from Downloads folder?: I have windows 10, and cannot delete this file from my Downloads folder:Abstract 4629_ Expression of cancer-associated proliferating cell nuclear antigen caPCNA in various stages and types of neoplasia breast, cervix, colon, gastric, lung, ovary, thyroid, and uterus _ Cancer...
  3. How to delete file with a long name from Downloads folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to delete file with a long name from Downloads folder?: I have windows 10, and cannot delete this file from my Downloads folder:Abstract 4629_ Expression of cancer-associated proliferating cell nuclear antigen caPCNA in various stages and types of neoplasia breast, cervix, colon, gastric, lung, ovary, thyroid, and uterus _ Cancer...
  4. How to delete file with a long name from Downloads folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Problem with Google Chrome and downloading files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with Google Chrome and downloading files.: I use Google Chrome and once every day, either the screen goes black and Chrome closes, or it says out of memory. I even cleared out my storage space but it still doesn't work. Also I can't download anything without Chrome saying "out of storage space". Any tips?...
  6. Problem with Google Chrome and downloading files.

Problem with Google Chrome and downloading files.: I use Google Chrome and once every day, either the screen goes black and Chrome closes, or it says out of memory. I even cleared out my storage space but it still doesn't work. Also I can't download anything without Chrome saying "out of storage space". Any tips?...
  7. Windows File Recovery isnt downloading

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows File Recovery isnt downloading: Im trying to use windows file recovery because I have lost some important files through my carelessness. When I have tried downloading the program it has been stuck on "Retrieving Information from the Microsoft Store"...
  8. Windows File Recovery isnt downloading

Windows File Recovery isnt downloading: Im trying to use windows file recovery because I have lost some important files through my carelessness. When I have tried downloading the program it has been stuck on "Retrieving Information from the Microsoft Store"...
  9. Windows File Recovery isnt downloading

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Unable to download Windows 8.1 ISO file

Unable to download Windows 8.1 ISO file: I tried downloading a windows 8.1 ISO file on my computer to improve its performance in comparison with windows 7. However, whatever language-region I select, it shows an error message telling me that "certain users, entities or regions are restricted to not using the...