Windows 10: All files grouped under 'Desktop' in 'File Explorer'. How to change?

Discus and support All files grouped under 'Desktop' in 'File Explorer'. How to change? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello kind strangers on the web! I have made an account specifically for this problem that I am having, and as this is my first time posting here I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RFrost, Aug 10, 2015.

1. RFrost Win User

All files grouped under 'Desktop' in 'File Explorer'. How to change?

Hello kind strangers on the web!

I have made an account specifically for this problem that I am having, and as this is my first time posting here I hope I'm doing this right!

I have recently upgraded my Windows 7 to Windows 10, and whilst using Windows 7, I was used to having having my files in 'File Explorer' grouped roughly as portrayed by the following image I found on the web

All files grouped under 'Desktop' in 'File Explorer'. How to change? [​IMG]

However, having had to manually delete my Microsoft Office 2010 in order to make way for my Microsoft Office 2013 (my Microsoft Office 2010 didn't allow me to delete automatically or override the files; don't ask me why), my 'File Explorer" in Windows 7 got messed up and started looking like this (didn't make a screenshot while still having Windows 7, but for reference hopefully the Windows 10 version as it currently is will do):

Take note of how all the files are grouped underneath the 'Desktop' folder!

I'm trying to get this changed back to looking like the following but I am unsure how to proceed:

I am no expert at handling or programming computers, so hopefully somebody can help me in figuring this out (lengthy and fool-proof description preferred All files grouped under 'Desktop' in 'File Explorer'. How to change? ;) ). Any help would be greatly appreciated in getting my 'File Explorer' look like the 3rd picture instead of the 2nd as I'm currently getting slightly nauseous having to navigate my 'File Explorer in such a different manner as I was used to do for so long!

Best,

:)

RFrost, Aug 10, 2015

2. Alternative to 'Stack' option in Windows 10?

I was doing some research on the file explorer and search options and found something that was available in Vista and maybe Win 7 that I can't find in Win 10. I found that there was some kind of option in Vista that would display a "stack" of icons under
    a group heading rather than a whole list of all files under a group heading when selecting a "group by" option. I realize that I can collapse all groups, but I like the idea of displaying a single icon to represent the group. An example would be in Media Player,
    one can display music files grouped by albums and represented by a single album cover or a virtual stack of cover images. Is there some way of doing this in the Win 10 file explorer?

PaulTompkins, Aug 10, 2015
  3. ClaireUm Win User
    File Explorer - Is this correct configuration? All under the Desktop?

Thank you Ramesh! I see what you mean now All files grouped under 'Desktop' in 'File Explorer'. How to change? :)

ClaireUm, Aug 10, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Aug 11, 2015
  5. RFrost Win User
    I feel like such a doofus now... Thank you so much Brink, this was the exact fix!

RFrost, Aug 11, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. All files grouped under 'Desktop' in 'File Explorer'. How to change? - Similar Threads - files grouped under

2. All files in Desktop are hidden, but are visible in the File Explorer> Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All files in Desktop are hidden, but are visible in the File Explorer> Desktop: Hi all,My wife cleaned up my keyboard in the afternoon and then all the files on the desktop are not visible anymore, but they are visible in File Explorer > desktop. So I'm wondering if there are any shortcuts or settings that are causing this. Here are the steps I've...
  3. All files in Desktop are hidden, but are visible in the File Explorer> Desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All files in Desktop are hidden, but are visible in the File Explorer> Desktop: Hi all,My wife cleaned up my keyboard in the afternoon and then all the files on the desktop are not visible anymore, but they are visible in File Explorer > desktop. So I'm wondering if there are any shortcuts or settings that are causing this. Here are the steps I've...
  4. All files in Desktop are hidden, but are visible in the File Explorer> Desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. File Explorer Grouping

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Grouping: I recently upgraded to 22H2. i want my folders to look like this instead it keeps resetting to thisI've tried doing this but it keeps resetting to defaults https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-grouping/07eb0397-6b70-4ab2-a9a8-6b2352cf94dd
  6. File Explorer Grouping

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Grouping: I recently upgraded to 22H2. i want my folders to look like this instead it keeps resetting to thisI've tried doing this but it keeps resetting to defaults https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-grouping/07eb0397-6b70-4ab2-a9a8-6b2352cf94dd
  7. Dead Links Under Desktop in File Explorer but not on Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dead Links Under Desktop in File Explorer but not on Desktop: Windows 10.0.19041 Build 19041I have a bunch of dead links on File Explorer. These links don't show up on the desktop, and also don't show up in "C:\Users\<user>\Desktop"How do I remove them? Nothing in the context/right-click menu appears to help. I added these links a long...
  8. Group By in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Group By in File Explorer: Hello, Each time I open "Downloads" folder in file explorer, its "Grouped By". Have to select "None" to view it normally. Next time its again "Grouped By". How do I get rid of this and set it to be always as "None". Answers will be appreciated. Thanks Window 10 pro x 64,...
  9. Desktop in Explorer not showing all files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop in Explorer not showing all files: For some reason when I access 'Desktop' by using the explorer it's not showing all the files on my desktop, as an example the recycling bin and a shortcut for Adobe Creative Cloud is not showing however it's showing a shortcut for other stuff. When I use "shell:desktop" it...
  10. No Desktop under This PC in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    No Desktop under This PC in File Explorer: Greetings. So, I have no desktop under This PC when I go into File Explorer. Where did this go? Wouldnt it normally be there?? My shortcuts are syncing with Google Drive too. Please advise....