Windows 10: All files in downloads folder gone after restart/shut down?

Discus and support All files in downloads folder gone after restart/shut down? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone, So this morning, I turned on my PC to discover that my downloads folder is now completely empty (I had put a few folders and files in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by humanbeing, Sep 18, 2015.

1. All files in downloads folder gone after restart/shut down?

Hi everyone,

So this morning, I turned on my PC to discover that my downloads folder is now completely empty (I had put a few folders and files in there and downloaded some programs, all gone now). Even shortcuts that I placed on the desktop have disappeared, and I had to re-sign in to Chrome and import all of my bookmarks again. Last night I had accidentally clicked on restart instead of shut down, as they are so close together. I don't know if this could have contributed to the issue. After waiting for it to come back on I shut it down.

I'm just wanting to know what could have caused this, and how to fix it if possible. Definitely don't want it to happen again, and not sure if it's a Windows 10 issue or a fault with my PC. Should mention that I only recently bought this computer and it came pre-installed with Windows 10. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Solved by restarting again...still somewhat worrying that something like that could happen though, but oh well.

:)

humanbeing, Sep 18, 2015
  2. sxsrulez Win User

All files on Downloads folder gone after updating windows defender

I lost all the files in my downloads folder when i updated windows defender. is there any way i can recover those files ?

sxsrulez, Sep 18, 2015
  3. 94shadow Win User
    All files on Downloads folder gone after updating windows defender

There is no "History" on any of the pages after typing in Windows Defender.

Roy

94shadow, Sep 18, 2015
  4. XweAponX Win User

All files in downloads folder gone after restart/shut down?

Next time something like that happens, check to see if you are in a "Temporary Profile" - Open your Users folder and look for a new /Temp user. If it keeps on happening, I have a solution for it over on the Eightforums board.

XweAponX, Sep 18, 2015
Thema:

All files in downloads folder gone after restart/shut down?

1. All files in downloads folder gone after restart/shut down? - Similar Threads - files downloads folder

2. laptop is immediately restarting after I shut it down

in Windows 10 Support
    laptop is immediately restarting after I shut it down: This happened to me for the first time earlier today. I clicked 'shut down' on my HP laptop, the screen did the usual thing and went black, but then just a few seconds later the screen lit up with the 'welcome' page. Did the same thing several times and then I had to leave...
  3. Restart or shutting down after booting or while booting up.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Restart or shutting down after booting or while booting up.: I was playing a game and then the computer suddenly restart, again and again after booting up and even while booting up. I already unchacked the automatic boot up setting in msconfig before because it happened already. But now, it happened again. I even try the bootrec...
  4. Windows 10 shuts down after restarting for 'Advanced Settings'

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 shuts down after restarting for 'Advanced Settings': I've just reinstalled Windows 10 x64 1809 today and tried opening the 'Startup Settings' menu by going to Settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery -> Advanced Startup (Restart Now) and then choosing the 'Startup Settings' option. This restarted my PC, but sadly, instead of...
  5. Computer shuts down instead of restarting

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer shuts down instead of restarting: Hello, I have been having this issue for a while now. I have reinstalled the pc, complete clean installation, changed disk, added memory... all to no avail. Wheneveer I want to restart, the laptop just shuts down. I am keeping up with all sorts of updates. I have a ASUS...
  6. Creators Update downloaded, can't restart or shut down computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Creators Update downloaded, can't restart or shut down computer: So, Windows messed up big time. I checked the "Defer Feature Upgrades" option when I reverted back to Anniversary Update, and it STILL downloaded Creators Update! I have other important upgrades as well, but now I can't install those, cause it will install Creators Build as...
  7. Update and Shut down / Update and Restart

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update and Shut down / Update and Restart: Sometimes after installing maintenance and performing a Restart, the Power options say (Update and Shut down" and "Update and Restart". Windows does not have another Restart scheduled at that point, but the few times I've seen that I decided I'd better do a restart just in...
  8. All HDD keep running after shut down

in Windows 10 Support
    All HDD keep running after shut down: After shut down all HDD keeps running (1 internal and 2 external) and computer becomes unresponsive. This is something new after 4 months without to many problems. 35927
  9. win 10 - shutting down and restart

in Windows 10 Support
    win 10 - shutting down and restart: why my windows 10 take so much time to shutdown and restart ? i have a 480 gb ssd, 32 gb ram, kaspersky internet security,all updates done. any fix to resolve this ? bye 87080
  10. After shut down all preferences go away!

in Windows 10 Support
    After shut down all preferences go away!: So second time on 10. I shut down my computer, and when I start it a couple days later, all my preferences are gone. All my work from home log in and service programs...gone! Documents off inn la la land somewhere. It looks like it re-installs 10 for the very first time with...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. shut down my pc and restarted all files gone