Windows 10: All icons are gone (everywhere)

Discus and support All icons are gone (everywhere) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, something really weird happened after I restarted my computer. The icons in my desktop, folders, etc (everywhere) are gone. (see the pictures)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by 2bl, Jan 4, 2016.

1. 2BL
    2bl Win User

All icons are gone (everywhere)

Hi, something really weird happened after I restarted my computer. The icons in my desktop, folders, etc (everywhere) are gone. (see the pictures)

All icons are gone (everywhere) [​IMG]

All icons are gone (everywhere) [​IMG]

I rebooted a bunch of times and even did a system restore but it's still not displaying any of the icons.

Please help if you know what happened.

Thanks

:)

2. All my folder icons, app icons and the like are now gone, and i cant restore them.

This isnt missing icons, the pictures of the icons are gone, all of them, from everywhere.

My folder icons are blank, my app icons are blank, my system properties window does not open.
    Please help me!

SkullBonez, Jan 4, 2016
  3. All my icons are gone.

Here is a link containing several several recovery options that you can perform in Windows 10. For now, we recommend that you perform the first 2 options and check if it resolves your issue with the icons:

Recovery options in Windows 10.

The first option that you should perform is to Restore from a system restore point. This takes your PC to an earlier point in time, called a
    system restore point. These are generated whenever you install a new app, drive, or Windows Update, also when you create one manually.

If there are no restore points in your PC, proceed to next the option, which is to
    Reset your PC. This option lets you choose whether to keep your files or remove them, and then reinstalls Windows. Resetting your PC has several options, we suggest that you pick the
    Keep my files option.

Important: It is always a good practice to
    back up your files
    before performing any of the recovery options.

Please post the results for us to assist you further.

Rolando Vil, Jan 4, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

davidhk, Jan 4, 2016
  5. 2BL
    2bl Win User
  6. davidhk Win User
    OK. Sounds like this happens only just recently. Yes ?
    If so, do a system restore. Pick a date when you did NOT have this problem as your restore point.

System Restore Windows 10

Please post back the result.

davidhk, Jan 4, 2016
  7. 2BL
    2bl Win User
    I did a system restore already... but the icons are still not there. Should I do it again?

8. davidhk Win User

No. No point doing it again.
    I didn't know you had it done already.
    Tell me, what else you had tried so I won't repeat them.

davidhk, Jan 4, 2016
  9. 2BL
    2bl Win User
    Just the things in my original post (reboot and system restore), then rebuild icon cache like you've suggested. I think the reason may be because IconCache.db is missing. When I tried DEL "%localappdata%\IconCache.db" /A in command, it says the file is missing. Maybe that's the reason?

10. davidhk Win User
    OK. See if system file check will help. It is to look for corrupt files. It will try to do repair if any is found.

Right click at Start button > click Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.......
    sfc /scannow

> press Enter.
    It will take quite sometime.
    When finished, it will give you one of the 3 reports...............(paraphrasing)
    1. No integrity violation.
    2. Found corrupt files and repair successful.
    3. Found corrupt files but unable to repair.

davidhk, Jan 4, 2016
  11. 2BL
    2bl Win User
    I just got the no integrity violation message, nothing else.

12. davidhk Win User
    Well, this suggestion of mine may not be what you want to do.................... Reset the PC.

Start button > Settings > Update & Recovery > left side, click Recovery > right side, under Reset this PC, click the Get Started button.

*** The downside of this method is that you can only keep your persona; files. All programs you have installed will have to be re-installed afterwards ***

davidhk, Jan 4, 2016
  13. 2BL
    2bl Win User

I really wish it didn't have to resort to that though... I just did another system restore to an even earlier save but still not working. I'm gonna try again later. It seems that I can't right click a file and select properties too. I don't know if that's related or not

14. Tim F Win User
    Hi,

I had the same problem today. When I first booted up my computer 'all' the icons where missing. I deleted the Iconcache file in appdate/local and rebooted but it made no difference. I would welcome some advice. I also do not really want to reset windows!

I may have found a solution to the problem. I adjusted some settings in the registry and I got back all my icons. Unfortunately I lost all installed windows apps!!!!

I then discovered that instead of doing a reset and losing all my programs and files, you can do a Repair Install. Follow the enclosed link

Worked for me

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

I was able to reset my system, get back all missing apps and icons and things appear to be working better now.

Hope this helps.

Tim F, Jan 4, 2016
  15. davidhk Win User
    Did you notice that the tutorial I gave you said you needed to Restart the computer to complete the process ?
    Please read that tutorial again.
    excerpt..................................
    6. Follow the instructions in the command prompt to rebuild the icon cache. If you do not restart the PC now, you will need to later to finish rebuilding the icon cache.

davidhk, Jan 6, 2016
Thema:

1. All icons are gone (everywhere) - Similar Threads - icons are gone

2. all icons gone except for in taskbar

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    all icons gone except for in taskbar: I would like to start with, No it is not the xp design that has caused this problem. I have had it for years and it has never done this before. I am still running windows 10. all the icons are gone. nothing much more to add.Also I looked at this thread of a guy with the same...
  3. all icons gone except for in taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    all icons gone except for in taskbar: I would like to start with, No it is not the xp design that has caused this problem. I have had it for years and it has never done this before. I am still running windows 10. all the icons are gone. nothing much more to add.Also I looked at this thread of a guy with the same...
  4. Black Icons Everywhere

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black Icons Everywhere: I have been having an issue with my laptop recently where icons in the desktop and file explorer, I have found a solution that seems to fix this error for a while until I restart or update my computer Thumbnail and Icon Cache Rebuilder for Windows 10 thewindowsclub.com -...
  5. Black Icons Everywhere

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black Icons Everywhere: I have been having an issue with my laptop recently where icons in the desktop and file explorer, I have found a solution that seems to fix this error for a while until I restart or update my computer Thumbnail and Icon Cache Rebuilder for Windows 10 thewindowsclub.com -...
  6. Black Icons Everywhere

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Application icons are all gone.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Application icons are all gone.: My english is really broke, but i'll still try to explain this. So, suddenly, almost all of my icons are gone, they're just blank. But here's the thing - when i pin whatever app to the taskbar, and then unpin it, it somehow brings app icon back. Here's the example:...
  8. ALL taskbar icons are gone

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    ALL taskbar icons are gone: [ATTACH] Ive tried basically everything that the internet has told me, scanned for malware, deleted iconcache.db and restarted, etc etc. https://preview.redd.it/fe4fw9tnkl261.png?width=1919&format=png&auto=webp&s=429d446858f1612def4f809f2de56e6011376307 submitted by...
  9. Help! all icons on pc are gone

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help! all icons on pc are gone: i installed a new gpu today and everything was working perfectly, but when I restarted my pc all the icons don't show. The apps are still there but the icons are not. I cleared the iconcache with cmd and normally and did the scan on cmd to find corrupt files but nothing is...
  10. Desktop Icons all gone?

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons all gone?: I have the latest update of Win 10... Booted computer this morning and all of my desktop icons are gone. Could anyone help me find them? *Smile The desktop now defaults to a Win10 desktop but when I go to "desktop" there is nothing there. All help appreciated. wayne 53950