Windows 10: All icons gone (desktop & folders) only titles remain

Discus and support All icons gone (desktop & folders) only titles remain in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, After a restart all my icons have disappeared on the Desktop and in all of my folders. The titles under the icons remain and are selectable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by vlinni, Aug 15, 2016.

1. vlinni Win User

All icons gone (desktop & folders) only titles remain

Hello,

After a restart all my icons have disappeared on the Desktop and in all of my folders.
    The titles under the icons remain and are selectable to open programs.
    The taskbar is also affected with only generic icons showing for programs; the Quicklaunch bar shows nothing anymore (though slim small rectangles show up for some of the programs there when I mouseover and their titles pop up, but most are missing).

When I select a program and right-click for Properties, the Properties box does not show up.

Also the Desktop icons, such as they are, rearrange themselves into a grid on the left instead of being spread out in my usual configuration.

I have tried rebuilding the icon cache; no effect.
    Did System File Check, no problems found.
    This is a laptop with no touchscreen and the tablet mode is disabled.

Suggestions?

Thank you.

:)

vlinni, Aug 15, 2016

2. i just had a windows 10 update and everything is gone....where did it go?

Installed Windows 10 about a month ago - no problems. Last night there was an update and now today everything is gone. Today I have a new desktop with a blue window - old desktop with all of my icons is gone. Can't find it in the files. In fact, my
    file folders are all empty. THe only thing on the desktop is a couple AVG icons. My toolbar is gone at the bottom except for the file folder and the Microsoft icon. How can I get everything back? Would appreciate any suggestions.

confusedmn, Aug 15, 2016
  3. All computer icons

All of the icons on my computer are gone. not just the desktop, but folder icons, everything. The icon names are still present on my desktop, but no icons. Taskbar icons appear as light blue/white rectangles. Folder envelopes are completely gone. I have
    tried searching for a solution, but all I can find is the simple desktop icon function. I have done system restore several times, but to no avail. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

RGRamsdell, Aug 15, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, unless someone has a specific idea, you could try an in-place upgrade repair install, noting your comment about Properties not appearing.

This keeps all your programs and most settings.

Just wondering- when you restarted, was this anything to do with any Windows update, or just a normal restart?

And which Windows version are you running?
    (Windows key + R, type Winver)

==============================
    Info on an in-place upgrade repair install:
    Precede it with this in case sthg has happened to your file system:

From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!

An In-place upgrade repair install will fix many things, but not those where the settings are not changed by the procedure.

For this you need an installation medium with the same base build as you have installed.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

This will refresh Windows, after the manner of a Windows installation.
    - all/most associations will be unchanged
    - all your programs will be left installed
    - you will lose any custom fonts
    - you will lose any customised system icons
    - you may need to re-establish your Wi-Fi connection
    - you will need to redo Windows updates subsequent to the build you have used for the repair install
    - Windows.old will be created
    - system restore will be turned off- you should turn it on again and I recommend you manually schedule a daily restore point.
    - you will need to redo any language downloads including the display language if you changed that)
    - inactive title bar colouring (if used) will be reset to default
    - if Qttabbar is installed, you need to re-enable it in explorer (Options, check Qttabbar)
    This is one of the better features of Win10: as each major build comes out, that's your updated reference build, and as updates are mostly cumulative, there will be few to do.

Recommendation:
    Before you perform this major repair procedure, do create a disk image.

Please consider using disk imaging regularly. It's a brilliant way to
    - preserve your system (and your sanity)
    - back up your data
    - restore your system to a previously working state in a relatively short time

Recommended: Macrium Reflect (free/commercial) + boot disk/device + large enough external storage medium.

dalchina, Aug 15, 2016
  5. vlinni Win User
    Looks like someone else had a very similar problem: Windows 10 Forums they found no solution found except to roll back an update.

I have had this problem before, occurring after a windows update so I installed a backup and turned off updates; this time the problem occurred after a restart where I was testing a program "WakeupOnStandBy" (which didn't work on windows 10 btw).

vlinni, Aug 15, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Aug 15, 2016
  7. vlinni Win User
    Running Windows 10. version 1511.

Though this has occurred during an update; this time it was NOT associated with an update, just a restart. (correction to original post: it was not a Restart, it was a wake from Hibernation).

I will give your suggestion of an In-place upgrade repair install a try.

-- first off; chkdsk C: /F says "Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges.
    You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode.".

Also, though I imagine that In-place upgrade repair may work, it seems a bit drastic as all upgrades will have to be redone, or left off, as one of those did cause this problem as well.

I do have a disk image, but would like to find a better solution.

vlinni, Aug 15, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Ok, before you go that way, as you're running 1511, rather than doing an in-place upgrade to 1511 as of Nov 2015, you could do the anniversary upgrade instead. That would be a big time saver.

(Corrected my post above- I assumed it was someone else posting- sorry).

From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]

chkdsk C: /F

- definitely do this before proceeding just to make sure of basics.

dalchina, Aug 15, 2016
  9. vlinni Win User
    Thank you for the clarification. I have scheduled a chkdsk C: /F on the next restart.

I also made a mistake in my description. The problem showed up this time upon a wake from Hibernation, not a Restart; the other times it shows up after a system update/restart.

vlinni, Aug 15, 2016
  10. vlinni Win User
    So, I restarted, but didn't watch the machine. By the time I got back, it Windows was up; should I have watched Chkdsk?

I am downloading the latest Win10 to a USB and will run this tomorrow.

Thank you.

vlinni, Aug 15, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Aug 15, 2016
  12. vlinni Win User
    Here are the Chkdsk results:

Checking file system on C:
    The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
    Windows will now check the disk.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
    216576 file records processed. File verification completed.
    6962 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed.
    Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
    285098 index entries processed. Index verification completed.
    0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.
    Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
    Cleaning up 849 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 849 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 849 unused security descriptors.
    Security descriptor verification completed.
    34262 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    132628832 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
    No further action is required.

116639743 KB total disk space.
    35680932 KB in 175222 files.
    123456 KB in 34263 indexes.
    0 KB in bad sectors.
    418667 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    80416688 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    29159935 total allocation units on disk.
    20104172 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
    00 4e 03 00 3a 32 03 00 e4 0f 06 00 00 00 00 00 .N..:2..........
    7a 01 00 00 54 0b 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 z...T...........

Windows has finished checking your disk.
    Please wait while your computer restarts.

vlinni, Aug 16, 2016
  13. dalchina New Member

Good.. so I suggest you proceed with the anniversary upgrade.

Whether this (or an in-place upgrade repair install) will fix your problem depends on whether any related setting is carried over, or a correct version replaces it. If it's a setting, that is.

dalchina, Aug 16, 2016
  14. vlinni Win User
    I have installed the anniversary edition.

This seems to have resolved that problem; thank you.

Next time I will try the in place repair you suggested.

The icons all came back. A few (hopefully) minor issues popped up.

All of the shortcut arrows came back (were hidden), so that has to be fixed; Icon positions were not restored, easy fix.

Currently for some reason new .txt and .rtf documents are taking a long time to created. Old ones open fine.

I will mark this as solved and open a new thread.

Thanks again dalchina .

vlinni, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. All icons gone (desktop & folders) only titles remain - Similar Threads - icons gone desktop

2. Red desktop background and all icons are gone

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Red desktop background and all icons are gone: I recently booted up my pc after a while and the background is now red, my icons are gone, and whenever I try to do anything it just loads for a while and then does nothing. submitted by /u/Zuedead115 [link] [comments]...
  3. Normal Desktop Icons all gone

in Windows 10 Customization
    Normal Desktop Icons all gone: My Windows 10 Desktop suddenly doesn't show my usual icons--I had personalized it with links I use often. Now, it only shows my background photo and icons i'm not familiar with. Am I in a different mode that I don't realize? It doesn't show any browser options ??? and...
  4. Desktop icons gone only tiles appear

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop icons gone only tiles appear: For the last couple of weeks my computer starts with the tiles only and I no longer have my program icons on desktop. When I shutdown computer and turn on again the next day, the desktop icons flash and instantly disappear and go to tiles. Is there any way to fix this or...
  5. Folders/icons on desktop gone

in Windows 10 Support
    Folders/icons on desktop gone: I am on 1903 I will explain this as it played out I had battlenet on my computer but it was a blank icon..tried uninstalling it but it wouldn't let me. I could not get it to uninstall. Not sure why it was blank..i never uninstalled it before. I downloaded a fresh copy of...
  6. All files and folders on desktop suddenly gone.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All files and folders on desktop suddenly gone.: I was playing Hearthstone on my laptop and then I exited the game and after I wanted to exit the Battle.net app. When I right click > exit on the app in the icon tray suddenly all of my icons, files and folders on my desktop completely disappeared. The only icons still...
  7. Desktop icons are gone only text shows

Desktop icons are gone only text shows: My computer only shows text for the desktop icons. It still works but it's get annoying that I can't see my icons. I've been looking at different methods online, but nothing seems to work....
  8. color of desktop icon titles

color of desktop icon titles: I know! The answer is here on some page....but I seem to have white letters on a white background on the desktop. How to I bring color to the icon titles? Thanks. 63440
  9. Desktop weird icons with no Title

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Desktop weird icons with no Title: Hey guys, Today, I see 2 icons which have no title and whenever I delete them it come back when I refresh desktop. [img] Regards. 84112
  10. Desktop Icons all gone?

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons all gone?: I have the latest update of Win 10... Booted computer this morning and all of my desktop icons are gone. Could anyone help me find them? *Smile The desktop now defaults to a Win10 desktop but when I go to "desktop" there is nothing there. All help appreciated. wayne 53950

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Icons are missing titles from desktop folders

2. win 10 all desktop folders gone

3. desktop icons disappeared only title remains