Windows 10: ALL icons missing/blank (desktop, taskbar, explorer)

Discus and support ALL icons missing/blank (desktop, taskbar, explorer) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, - Had the laptop hooked up to the TV last night via HDMI - Unplugged, then closed lid - putting it to sleep - Turned on today, no icons... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by O0mix0O, Nov 27, 2016.

1. O0mix0O Win User

ALL icons missing/blank (desktop, taskbar, explorer)

Hi all,

• - Had the laptop hooked up to the TV last night via HDMI
      - Unplugged, then closed lid - putting it to sleep
      - Turned on today, no icons whatsoever.

- Tried restarting the laptop
      - Tried restarting 'explorer.exe'

Any tips for getting them back? It's annoying the hell out of me!

Thanks in advance!

Also:
    When I open the explorer when uploading or downloading something, the icons are there..

Here's a pic:

ALL icons missing/blank (desktop, taskbar, explorer) [​IMG]

ALL icons missing/blank (desktop, taskbar, explorer) [​IMG]

:)

O0mix0O, Nov 27, 2016

2. Windows FCU – When will I get my UWP icons back?

After Fall Creators Update, all icons of UWP apps are gone, replaced by a blank icon (white sheet of paper).

This happens on:

- File explorer;

- Taskbar;

- Desktop;

- Search (in Start);

Interestingly, it doesn't happens on Start menu itself, all icons are there.

A Microsoft support guy even remotely accessed my computer, trying to repair but he was unsuccessful. He said MS was aware of the problem and I would need to wait for an update.

But this was many weeks ago... no fix for missing icons yet?? Or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

RicardoDrehmer, Nov 27, 2016
  3. TrevorBr Win User
    Calendar and Mail app has missing icon in Windows 10

Recently my calendar and mail apps have blank icons on my desktop, no new updates have been installed. My screen flashed once and now the icons don't appear. The apps will still open and the icons do appear in the taskbar. What could cause the shortcut
    icons to be missing on the desktop?

TrevorBr, Nov 27, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member
  5. O0mix0O Win User
    O0mix0O, Nov 27, 2016
  6. O0mix0O Win User
    Bumping because I'm desperate *Sad

O0mix0O, Nov 28, 2016
  7. Cliff S New Member
    Try opening an admin command prompt, copy and paste this in(make sure you have an internet connection when running it):

fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\&fsutil usn deletejournal /d /n c:&Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup&sfc /scannow&Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth&sfc /scannow&Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase&pause

Let it run through until it shows pause.
    Reboot.
    If it showed errors, run it again, and reboot, repeating this until no more errors are shown.

Cliff S, Nov 28, 2016
  8. O0mix0O Win User

Hi Cliff,

Thanks for your response.

I followed your instructions, and no errors seemed to be present.
    I've rebooted but am still in the same position :/

Here's the command prompt log if you just wanted to check over anything: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393] (c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All righ - Pastebin.com

Cheers!

O0mix0O, Nov 28, 2016
  9. Cliff S New Member
    Yeah it "looks like" your system is tip-top.

Do you have the most current Windows 10 ISO for your machine, that you could mount in File Explorer and do a repair install?

Cliff S, Nov 28, 2016
  10. O0mix0O Win User
    Hi Cliff,

Thanks for your swift response.

Unfortunately, I do not have a current ISO :/ - I downloaded and used the USB installation method, then formatted the USB...

O0mix0O, Nov 28, 2016
  11. Cliff S New Member
    Cliff S, Nov 28, 2016
  12. O0mix0O Win User
    Hi Cliff,

Thanks again for your quick reponse.

My internet is on the shoddy side, so I'll download this overnight and will get back to you tomorrow.

Cheers, Mix

O0mix0O, Nov 28, 2016
  13. O0mix0O Win User

Really sorry for my delayed response, it's been one of those weeks!

Cliff, doing a repair of windows fixed the issue!

The links/ guides were really helpful, thanks very much for your help!

O0mix0O, Dec 8, 2016
  14. Cliff S New Member
    You are welcome, I'm glad it was that "easy" to fix*Biggrin(it really is easy, if you did a repair install as often as I have, being an Insider).

Cliff S, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. ALL icons missing/blank (desktop, taskbar, explorer) - Similar Threads - icons missing blank

2. Windows desktop taskbar and explorer are all blank.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows desktop taskbar and explorer are all blank.: Black screen desktop I use black background The desktop is actually there and I can click on the various hidden icons based on memory. Taskbar blank. Also can click on the pinned items which are invisible. Telegram app also blank but most other applications / games and we...
  3. Windows desktop taskbar and explorer are all blank.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows desktop taskbar and explorer are all blank.: Black screen desktop I use black background The desktop is actually there and I can click on the various hidden icons based on memory. Taskbar blank. Also can click on the pinned items which are invisible. Telegram app also blank but most other applications / games and we...
  4. Windows desktop taskbar and explorer are all blank.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. All desktop/taskbar/explorer icons are missing after update KB5023706

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All desktop/taskbar/explorer icons are missing after update KB5023706: All icons are missing after installing KB5023706desktop + taskbar + explorer icons are missing.Startmenu has icons https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-desktoptaskbarexplorer-icons-are-missing-after/1c59dbd6-caee-4994-94e4-76e3f948197f
  6. All desktop/taskbar/explorer icons are missing after update KB5023706

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All desktop/taskbar/explorer icons are missing after update KB5023706: All icons are missing after installing KB5023706desktop + taskbar + explorer icons are missing.Startmenu has icons https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-desktoptaskbarexplorer-icons-are-missing-after/1c59dbd6-caee-4994-94e4-76e3f948197f
  7. Icons on Desktop, Taskbar and File Explorer are missing or disappeared.

Icons on Desktop, Taskbar and File Explorer are missing or disappeared.: When I turn the computer on this morning, and looked what happened to this, Icons on desktop, taskbar and file explorer are gone. Also, I cannot open the properties for any file on the computer. This gives me a headache and frustrated.LOOK AT THIS PICTUREFirst, Is there's a...
  8. Missing taskbar and Icons on desktop

Missing taskbar and Icons on desktop: Within the last week my desktop changed. I lost all links I had posted and lost the taskbar. What appeared is the display one used to get when clicking the WINDOWS icon, bottom left. New computer, Windows 10 32 bit. How do I remove the current dislay on desktop & restore...
  9. Missing/Blank Icons on Desktop and Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing/Blank Icons on Desktop and Windows Explorer: This is the first issue I haven't able to resolve after using Windows products for years I recently bought a monitor to use with my laptop while at home. Whenever I disconnect my laptop from the monitor and then shut the laptop down, upon restarting I lose all my desktop...
  10. Missing Desktop icons, taskbar icons changed

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing Desktop icons, taskbar icons changed: This morning when I booted up my desktop, all of my icons on the desktop were missing, although the shortcut is still there and works. The icons in the taskbar now have a generic looking icon. Right clicking on the start menu no longer brings up the menu and when I go to file...