Windows 10: ALL icons missing...from entire system...!

Discus and support ALL icons missing...from entire system...! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; 2 days ago, I was trying to load up some vacation pics from a Cd from the DVD drive when phone rang. After returning to the 'puter, the DVD was buzzing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by unclepine, Oct 15, 2016.

1. unclepine Win User

ALL icons missing...from entire system...!

2 days ago, I was trying to load up some vacation pics from a Cd from the DVD drive when phone rang. After returning to the 'puter, the DVD was buzzing around all over and not stopping with the screen going black. I shut everything down, retrieved the CD, and rebooted to home screen. My desktop was back with the original wallpaper I had...BUT...the icons were missing with only the text names of the shortcuts/files left behind...?! No matter where I went on my system, all the icons were gone. The system works fine. I can surf from Firefox or IE, I can open pics files and view them. I can even play CoD with no issues at all. I can open all my drives, I have 1 500gb HDD, 1 128SSD, and 1 250SSD. I can retrieve files from all these drives and open/read/view all information, but there are just no icons left. I ran sfc scannow, 3 different full virus checks, 2 different Malware scans, but still no icons, just the icon text. Windows reset as per MS instruction will not work, it says there was a problem resetting. I uninstalled Explorer and tried to rebuild the icon cache but did not work. The other tricks using command prompts from the run screen did not work either. I am retired and basically "winging" this mess, so go easy on me, as I am not a computer wiz...! I must have tried 20 different "fixes" to no avail.

Any and all help appreciated.

Laurie

:)

unclepine, Oct 15, 2016

2. System Notification Tray Missing

My entire system notifications tray is missing. The Date and Time Icon is still present but everything else is missing. I can't get to my battery icon, wifi icon, Google Drive icon etc. There's no arrow to expand, it's just gone...

TIA for any help y'all can give.

SagaHaraldsdottir, Oct 15, 2016
  3. All icons in the system are missing.

Go to Settings app > System > Display and change the scaling level slider from what it is at present (probably 100%) to something else, then back again.

If that doesn't help then yes, try
    rebuilding the icon cache

For all we know you didn't revert all your registry edits properly, or worse broke something unknowingly while you were in there.

RobertJWin, Oct 15, 2016
  4. pepanee Win User

pepanee, Oct 16, 2016
  5. unclepine Win User
    Thanks pepanee for jumpin in here, but I checked my VERY long list of fixes attempted, and that one was already tried and did not work...:-(

back to the drawing board...

Unc

unclepine, Oct 16, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    simrick, Oct 16, 2016
  7. unclepine Win User
    Hey simrick, no restore point to go to. Tried the in-place upgrade but Windows says it could not do this...!! The stupid part is that the whole system works fine but as I said, there are NO icons to be had and the text that is left on the desktop will not show properties, so it's a real screw up for whatever is messing with the icon cache...???

unclepine, Oct 16, 2016
  8. pepanee Win User

It is possible that the folder that contains the icon cache (or the icon cache file itself) has blocked permissions from your account.

Let's check it out.

1) Open a File Explorer window, such as: C:\
    2) In the address bar above, copy & paste this: %localappdata%
    3) Press Enter
    4) What happen?

pepanee, Oct 16, 2016
  9. unclepine Win User
    In a word...nothing...! :-(

Unc

unclepine, Oct 16, 2016
  10. pepanee Win User
    Lol? please be more specific. Did a window pop up stating that you cannot go here? Is there anything shown in that window?

pepanee, Oct 16, 2016
  11. unclepine Win User
    In another word...nothing...and I mean nothing, nadda, zip, zero, niet...! No message, no error, not a sausage...as they say in England...!

Unc

unclepine, Oct 16, 2016
  12. pepanee Win User
    LOL no sausage?? I was hoping your computer can pop out some Sausage out of the cd-rom drive.

Go to: C:\Users
    (What is your user account called?) Double click that
    Do you see "AppData" folder?

pepanee, Oct 16, 2016
  13. unclepine Win User

The search says no items were found to match search...or smething like that...!

Unc

unclepine, Oct 16, 2016
  14. unclepine Win User
    I found the AppData folder and it shows Local LocalLow and Roaming. Thing is you cannot open properties of any of these files...?!

unclepine, Oct 16, 2016
  15. pepanee Win User
    Try to open the "Local" folder. Does it open?

pepanee, Oct 16, 2016
Thema:

1. ALL icons missing...from entire system...! - Similar Threads - icons missing entire

2. System Icons Missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Icons Missing: Certain system icons are missing form my windows 11 pc. I have tried everything from updating windows to restoring system health but nothing seems to work. Sfc, DISM shows no error.Ps. I don't have any restore...
  3. System Icons Missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Icons Missing: Certain system icons are missing form my windows 11 pc. I have tried everything from updating windows to restoring system health but nothing seems to work. Sfc, DISM shows no error.Ps. I don't have any restore...
  4. Camera entirely missing from Device Manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Camera entirely missing from Device Manager: For some odd event, my built-in camera driver is missing, I already tried troubleshooting but it isn't detected by troubleshooterDevices and Hardware, Microsoft Store apps, etc, I already tried command prompt health, restore, and status check but to no avail didn't work....
  5. All Icons are missing!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    All Icons are missing!: When I turned on my PC today, I wasn't too happy to find that everywhere on Windows 10, desktop, taskbar, file explorer, etc, had no icons whatsoever. Before I turned off my PC I hadn't done anything with registry or whatever that could possibly cause something like this. I...
  6. Missing system icons

Missing system icons: After the last update of Windows, my icons, for example the "log out" button, disappeared, the same situation occurs in the power menu, when the "Update and shutdown" and "Restart and update" options appear, refreshing the icon file does not help, it is worth adding that...
  7. All icons missing...

All icons missing...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/KoniGNovA [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j9d6ep/all_icons_missing/
  8. All Icons Missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All Icons Missing: Hello, I'm having an issue with Windows 10. All of the desktop icons, including file icons are missing. Everything is invisible. When I open File Explorer, the whole left panel Documents, Pictures, Videos, etc. is invisible, too. I already tried checking that desktop...
  9. battery icon missing from system tray

in Windows 10 Customization
    battery icon missing from system tray: I jjusst noticed that my battery icon is missing from the system tray in windows 10. this has never happend before. How do i get it back? this windows 10. I have never had any problems with icons in the system tray If i cick on the "hide" arrow, it shows but i'd like to...
  10. All system icons are missing

in Windows 10 Support
    All system icons are missing: I know this sounds like an easy fix but it is not. I have scoured the entire internet and experimented myself extensively on trying to fix this problem so I would be grateful if someone here would like to help me. The problem is this: I have Windows 10 Home and all of my...