Windows 10: All icons & thumbnails gone in Windows Explorer & desktop

Discus and support All icons & thumbnails gone in Windows Explorer & desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, On turning on my laptop yesterday (for the first time in a couple of days), all my icons are now missing: [img] This also includes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Brunginho, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Brunginho Win User

All icons & thumbnails gone in Windows Explorer & desktop

Hi all,

On turning on my laptop yesterday (for the first time in a couple of days), all my icons are now missing:

All icons & thumbnails gone in Windows Explorer & desktop [​IMG]

This also includes thumbnails, etc:

All icons & thumbnails gone in Windows Explorer & desktop [​IMG]

I have tried restarting / full shutdown a few times with no effect.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Thanks,

Paul

:)

Brunginho, Mar 18, 2016

2. Picture Thumbnails

just cured same problem with windows 10, its a bit diferent to win 8, but this works,

go to File Explorer at the windows menu,

when it opens choose File top left corner, Then Change Folder & search settings, Click View & reset folders or reset to defaults & suddenly your pics appear on the thumbnails.

good luck everyone, the people at windows are rubbish why is it we have to work it out, never had a right answer from these **** yet.

Lastmanjack, Mar 18, 2016
  3. Revertible, Mar 18, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

davidhk, Mar 18, 2016
  5. Brunginho Win User
    Thanks David.

I tried both of the above (separately, with restarts), but the issue remains.

Brunginho, Mar 18, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    davidhk, Mar 18, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    Before doing a Repair Install, perhaps give it a shot at system file check to look for corrupt files. If any found, it will try to do repair.
    Right click at Start button > click Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.......
    sfc /scannow

> press Enter.
    It will take quite sometime.
    When finished, it will give you one of the 3 reports...............(paraphrasing)
    1. No integrity violation.
    2. Found corrupt files and repair successful.
    3. Found corrupt files but unable to repair.

davidhk, Mar 18, 2016
  8. Brunginho Win User

No violations found. I'll try a system restore point.

Brunginho, Mar 18, 2016
  9. Brunginho Win User
    Restored to a 10 day old restore point but no help.

Might have to be a repair install *Sad

Brunginho, Mar 18, 2016
  10. Brunginho Win User
    Brunginho, Mar 18, 2016
  11. davidhk Win User
    Good to know you have it sorted.

Each to his own. I'll never understand why shortcut arrows could bother so many users.

davidhk, Mar 18, 2016
  12. Brunginho Win User
    I 100% know it is irrational. But I love a nice clean interface!

Brunginho, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. All icons & thumbnails gone in Windows Explorer & desktop - Similar Threads - icons thumbnails gone

2. No image thumbnail in explorer Icons

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No image thumbnail in explorer Icons: Image icons shows up as blank dokument, i.e there is no image preview. I have checked that the option "allways show icons, never thumbnail" is not checked. I have used "Cleanmgr" to clean out thumbnails. I have deleted the thumnail cashe. Nothing of this works I have...
  3. All icons in file explorer and desktop either gone completely or turned to default windows...

in Windows 10 Customization
    All icons in file explorer and desktop either gone completely or turned to default windows...: [ATTACH] It only started happening today when I restarted my computer and it appeared like this, I can't find an answer anywhere online. No this is not Windows XP this is a Windows 10 Skin I've had for a whole year it is 100% not the cause. My view settings in file explorer...
  4. Red desktop background and all icons are gone

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Red desktop background and all icons are gone: I recently booted up my pc after a while and the background is now red, my icons are gone, and whenever I try to do anything it just loads for a while and then does nothing. submitted by /u/Zuedead115 [link] [comments]...
  5. Normal Desktop Icons all gone

Normal Desktop Icons all gone: My Windows 10 Desktop suddenly doesn't show my usual icons--I had personalized it with links I use often. Now, it only shows my background photo and icons i'm not familiar with. Am I in a different mode that I don't realize? It doesn't show any browser options ??? and...
  6. Windows 10 Thumbnails AND Icons Gone

Windows 10 Thumbnails AND Icons Gone: Alright, I was doing some routine cleaning with Ccleaner two days ago, and one of the areas cleaned was the Thumbnail cache. When it finished, I discovered that in Large View mode, none of my icons or thumbnails regenerated. I can still see them in Medium, Small, Tiles,...
  7. Desktop and File Explorer icons gone

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop and File Explorer icons gone: Hello! I have readed some other posts about people who had the same problem as me, but none of those solutions worked for me. Basically today I booted up my computer and all of my icons are randomly gone, in File Explorer and on the desktop. I cannot go to...
  8. Previews for images (thumbnails) are gone in explorer.

in Windows 10 Support
    Previews for images (thumbnails) are gone in explorer.: All of a my preview for my images are gone... I went to Google and looked up some possible solutions. In explorer under view/options under View "Always show icons never thumbnails" is unchecked. I also tried to choose "Restore Defaults" from there as well with no luck....
  9. Desktop Icons all gone?

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons all gone?: I have the latest update of Win 10... Booted computer this morning and all of my desktop icons are gone. Could anyone help me find them? *Smile The desktop now defaults to a Win10 desktop but when I go to "desktop" there is nothing there. All help appreciated. wayne 53950
  10. Thumbnails, desktop icons, taskbar icons gone, Properties doesnt work

in Windows 10 Support
    Thumbnails, desktop icons, taskbar icons gone, Properties doesnt work: All of a sudden the following symptoms (all at the same time):: 1. Taskbar icons gone (replaced by a neutral identical icon) except Edge and Store 2. In File Explorer, no longer thumbnails, no icons either, simply blank, but names show 3. All desktop icons gone; but their...