Windows 10: All my folders and files are suddenly deleted

Discus and support All my folders and files are suddenly deleted in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Azamia, have you recovered all the folders and files? If not, consider employing the help of a local computer guru who knows data restoration and recovery. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Azamia, Mar 24, 2017.

1. RolandJS Win User

All my folders and files are suddenly deleted

Azamia, have you recovered all the folders and files? If not, consider employing the help of a local computer guru who knows data restoration and recovery.

RolandJS, Mar 25, 2017
  2. mrgeek Win User

" I like the logic of your usage to protect your data. I will try to see how I can change my way of working, obviously open to accident."

billz; it is SO easy with Win10 Explorer to just drag and drop files to a folder in the Navigation panel, heck even the entire Pictures or Music folder, that not keeping orig files on the desktop is a no-brainer. IE; you have a new Excel spreadsheet on desktop, just drag it to Documents folder in Nav Panel then create shortcut to it for desktop, if you'll be accessing it frequently or soon. Lost desktops are always due to profile not loading or temp profile sign-in but the files will always be under the orig User, somewhere after a repair. Of course freq backup is always a just in case must-do. Cheers.

mrgeek, Mar 25, 2017
  3. billz Win User
    Hi mrgeek,
    I will study what you have written, but If you have windows explorer on screen with its collection of files and folders with a movable column on in my case the left hand side as a quick access index, is this not the same as me having say, about 30 icons spaced around my copier control popup space when needed, I click on an folder Icon and I am into a Windows Explorer setup where my desktop folders are displayed as well as in the Left Hand Column, the only difference I find these are random from the icon, whereas they are are alphanumeric in the list, useful if I am looking for a specific item to examine.
    You may be able to help me now, because by Big Blue Desktop screen on which sit my large yellow Folder icons has suddenly been altered to display an image I had looked at of a MS Paint copy of a PrtSrn image instead of the Big Blue Screen. Going to "Display" In Control Panel it still shows a Blue Panel with Numeral 1 central and I am stumped, having restarted twice and shutdown twice It's is still there as the back drop, even deleting completely the offending image from "Pictures" has had no effect.

Regards,

billz, Mar 25, 2017
  4. mrgeek Win User

Quick Access is different from Nav Panel. It's like a 'Favorites' list, not the file location. On my screenshot, Desktop has shortcuts to files/folders. These can be moved to any folder on L, you can even open sub-folders here. EG; I can drag Downloads folder shortcut to Docs or screenshot file to Music/Archive sub-folder.

All my folders and files are suddenly deleted [​IMG]

"I am stumped, having restarted twice and shutdown twice It's is still there as the back drop, even deleting completely the offending image from "Pictures" has had no effect."
    In Action Center\All settings\Personalization\Background, the current desktop background should be displayed. It doesn't matter if you deleted the offending image from Pictures. Just browse for another one near bottom. EG; you see an image in your browser that you want to use as background, you just save it and set as background. Even if you delete this, it will still be your background until you select another image.

All my folders and files are suddenly deleted [​IMG]

mrgeek, Mar 25, 2017
  5. billz Win User
    Hi mrgeek,
    That has solved my problem, as you write I replaced the self imposed background which had been named by the file name.
    I have taken a Screenshot of your diagram to study It includes the note on Personalization. In earlier windows versions it was easier to get into.

Regards,

billz, Mar 25, 2017
  6. RolandJS Win User
    Consider moving text files and other writings, pictures, videos, etc., from user My Documents, My this and that over into user-made folders outside of user profles. Especially, consider moving such material from desktop into user-made folders outside of user profiles.

RolandJS, Mar 28, 2017
  7. billz Win User
    Hi Rolandjs,
    Thank you for you reply I will consider what you have written after I have sorted out my complex (self made) storage, The only way I can see how to do this is to print off everything I can see as needed and start again.

Regards,

billz, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. All my folders and files are suddenly deleted - Similar Threads - folders files are

2. Delete all file and folders in OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Delete all file and folders in OneDrive: I have made several changes to the devices on my network and my OneDrive is now in a confused mess.I would like to remove all files and folders and remove all syncing, effectively restoring OneDrive to the as installed condition.How can I do this?...
  3. Accidentally deleted the folder and all files gets deleted.

Accidentally deleted the folder and all files gets deleted.: User deleted that folder and all the files gets deleted desktop, documents & pictures bypassing windows recycle bin.Is there a way to recover the files?...
  4. ALL FILES in my user folder DELETED

ALL FILES in my user folder DELETED: After I restarted my PC today, ALL files in my user folder are deleted, including pictures, videos, documents, desktop, music.... only the empty folder structure remains. The files are not moved to other folders on the C drive, I've looked for them. No new user profile were...
  5. Everything in my "Pictures" folder suddenly was deleted.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Everything in my "Pictures" folder suddenly was deleted.: My computer has Windows 10 installed in it I can't find any solution anywhere. They say "look into your onedrive folder" but theres nothing there either. There is nothing in the recycle bin. There is nothing in the "restore previous versions". When I try to go after a...
  6. Folder and all files in it suddenly gone

Folder and all files in it suddenly gone: I work on cover art and recently made a folder, in the middle of working on one i went to save my current cover but the folder was gone. Every file and trace is gone and i cant open anything. Anybody know anything about this?...
  7. Files deleted suddenly

Files deleted suddenly: Hello my laptop suddenly deleted a lot of files like videos and images and filmora files , and left some , I only cleaned up the temp by run %temp% and prefitch files and most of data on my ssd hard were dissapeared I don't know what happeded and I didn't turn off my laptop...
  8. ALL FILES AND FOLDERS DELETED

ALL FILES AND FOLDERS DELETED: All my files and folders have been deleted on my PC and whenever I save a document, it gets deleted when I switch off the PC. Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-files-and-folders-deleted/c18ae88f-af6d-4b28-a521-0f1168f0f6de"
  9. All files and folders on desktop suddenly gone.

All files and folders on desktop suddenly gone.: I was playing Hearthstone on my laptop and then I exited the game and after I wanted to exit the Battle.net app. When I right click > exit on the app in the icon tray suddenly all of my icons, files and folders on my desktop completely disappeared. The only icons still...
  10. ALL Files and Folders in the 'Downloads' SUDDENLY Disappeared!

ALL Files and Folders in the 'Downloads' SUDDENLY Disappeared!: Hi all, I had 3 years worth of files (thousands of files) in my Downloads folder which have all suddenly disappeared completely (Except for one folder that contains 76 other folders, however their content have also vanished). Unfortunately I don't have any back-ups of my...