Windows 10: All my work stay on my taskbar

Discus and support All my work stay on my taskbar in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I had some problems with my HD, and upon recovery, I got stuck. I can start windows 10, I can even start any application I choose, but, all I get... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by chermesh, Sep 29, 2016.

1. chermesh Win User

All my work stay on my taskbar

Hi,
    I had some problems with my HD, and upon recovery, I got stuck. I can start windows 10, I can even start any application I choose, but, all I get is an icon on the taskbar. I can, by hitting my mouse right start any option listed, but the result is shown exclusively on the task bar.
    I can, though, start win10 in Safe Mode, which kept all its potential.
    What's wrong?

:)

chermesh, Sep 29, 2016
  2. PugLife=D Win User

My taskbar is not working at all

I can't access msconfig even using the run tool

PugLife=D, Sep 29, 2016
  3. My taskbar is not working at all

Lets try to fix this without changing accounts and powershell All my work stay on my taskbar :) Have you made any changes prior to this issue?

Does it happen while in Clean boot
    state? Clean boot disables third party software and only basic driver will run on the system. This helps us find any third party program conflicting with the system process.

SimpleMindz, Sep 29, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, can you clarify "some problems with my HD" - are you now convinced it is sound? Have you checked its SMART parameters?

What is your current build level?
    (Windows key + R, winver)

Some possibilities- bearing in mind we don't know how much corruption your PC may have experienced-
    Try creating a new user account for test purposes. Do you notice any change?
    If you are on build 1511 you can try an upgrade to 1607.
    If you are on build 1607, try an in-place upgrade repair install.
    This would be the safest thing to try in this circumstance (rather than SFC /SCANNOW ....)

dalchina, Sep 29, 2016
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Sep 29, 2016
  6. chermesh Win User
    Well, Dalcina' you're right, my HD is ailing, SMART test shows a warning for Current Pending Sector (100). How serious is this problem?
    As to your other tips, I started by trying to bring the taskbar items to to main board. While my efforts were successful, they brought temporary relief. Still, since I could bring a window to the fore, I decided to run an update.
    Unfortunately,the update ended with a full reinstall of win10.
    My system is now operative, But I look for a HD replacement.

chermesh, Sep 30, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I'd make rescuing any data you haven't backed up your priority.

Did you know that disk imaging
    a. provides a full backup
    b. if you'd created disk images routinely, you could simply have restored an image of your system to a new disk?
    c. a side effect of creating an image is that it may well detect disk corruption, 'cos of the disk having to be read correctly?

So when you have a functioning system again, I'd really recommend you start using disk imaging routinely. (Oh, you'll need e.g. a large external USB disk or other media.. so if you don't have something large enough - say 2x your total data minimum- you may like to et that at the same time).

Creating disk images lets you restore Windows and all your disks and partitions to a previous working state, quickly and probably without technical help.

You can recover from:
    - a failed disk drive (restore to a new one)
    - ransomware (which encrypts your disk)
    - user error
    - unrecoverable problems from failed updates to problem programs
    - unbootable PC (hardware faults aside)

Images also act as a full backup- you can extract files too.

You can even use images to help you move more easily and quickly to a new PC.

Imaging can even help you sleep at night knowing you have a second chance.

Many here recommend Macrium Reflect (free) as a good robust solution and more reliable than some others. It’s
    - more feature rich
    - more flexible
    - more reliable
    than Windows Backup and Restore system images.

It's well supported with videos, help and a responsive forum.

There are other such programs, free/commercial, some with simpler interfaces, but Macrium R is one of the most robust and reliable.

How long does it take?
    SSD+ USB3 - maybe 15 mins for the first system image, less thereafter
    HDD + USB2 - maybe 40-50 mins
    That’s with little personal data, few programs installed.
    - of course, depends how much you have on C:
    (You can and should image all your partitions and disks)

dalchina, Sep 30, 2016
  8. chermesh Win User

My relief report was too early. Yesterday, upon seemingly successful of a few programs and a comprehensive windows update, I tried to reboot and to my alarm, my problem showed up again, same taskbar restriction. Even worse, my dual boot startup menu disappeared, I can`t even reach win10 safe mode.
    Is there any way to get out of this muddy situation?

chermesh, Oct 1, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Hi-Are you using a new disk? Have you done a clean install? Where are you up to?

dalchina, Oct 1, 2016
  10. chermesh Win User
    Not yet. All stores are closed for the coming holiday and I must opt for alternative, cloud storing, for example. Is there a free cloud offering such a huge storing option?

No, it wasn't a clean install. Since I don't as yet have a complete backup of my data, I preferred to use the less demanding option (which proved to be insufficient).
    I did download the Macrium Reflect (free), though.

chermesh, Oct 1, 2016
  11. chermesh Win User
    I managed to bring my icons to the desktop. My display was set to two extended displays. Now it's overlapping and working.

chermesh, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. All my work stay on my taskbar - Similar Threads - stay taskbar

2. How to let Photos App fully opens multiple pictures instead only stays on taskbars?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to let Photos App fully opens multiple pictures instead only stays on taskbars?: In windows 10, when I open the first two image one by one, the Photos App will fully open the second image on top of the first one in the windows. However, when I open the third image, instead of doing what it did like the second image, the third photo will not be fully...
  3. How to let Photos App fully opens multiple pictures instead only stays on taskbars?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to let Photos App fully opens multiple pictures instead only stays on taskbars?: In windows 10, when I open the first two image one by one, the Photos App will fully open the second image on top of the first one in the windows. However, when I open the third image, instead of doing what it did like the second image, the third photo will not be fully...
  4. UAC app permission popup stays in my taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UAC app permission popup stays in my taskbar: I don't remember the last time it showed up asking if I want to give permission to an app without me having to click the icon on my taskbar first. For instance, every time I go to install an nvidia driver, it doesn't even begin until I remember to click the UAC shield icon...
  5. UAC app permission popup stays in my taskbar

UAC app permission popup stays in my taskbar: I don't remember the last time it showed up asking if I want to give permission to an app without me having to click the icon on my taskbar first. For instance, every time I go to install an nvidia driver, it doesn't even begin until I remember to click the UAC shield icon...
  6. Taskbar icons won't stay at three rows high.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taskbar icons won't stay at three rows high.: This has been a problem forever and I've not found any successful fixes. The taskbar is at the bottom with three rows of icons. It's locked, but frequently the taskbar changes to one or two rows. How can I prevent the taskbar changing constantly? Thanks for any help...
  7. How to stop hidden Taskbar from popping up and staying up when ever I get notifications.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop hidden Taskbar from popping up and staying up when ever I get notifications.: First off, I do have Discord and I do need notifications on because email provider doesn't recognize Discord coming to my email.That being said. Every time I get a pop up from Discord, the Taskbar appears and stays up instead of being hidden like I want it to. When that...
  8. How to stop hidden Taskbar from popping up and staying up when ever I get notifications.

How to stop hidden Taskbar from popping up and staying up when ever I get notifications.: First off, I do have Discord and I do need notifications on because email provider doesn't recognize Discord coming to my email.That being said. Every time I get a pop up from Discord, the Taskbar appears and stays up instead of being hidden like I want it to. When that...
  9. After last update taskbar stays large

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After last update taskbar stays large: After the last update KB5022913 Windows taskbar becomes large. Trick with TaskbarSi do not work. How to make taskbat small? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-last-update-taskbar-stays-large/489e4dc9-89a5-4486-a344-7e1d0f59cf3c
  10. After last update taskbar stays large

After last update taskbar stays large: After the last update KB5022913 Windows taskbar becomes large. Trick with TaskbarSi do not work. How to make taskbat small? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-last-update-taskbar-stays-large/489e4dc9-89a5-4486-a344-7e1d0f59cf3c