Windows 10: All sorts of problems on unexpected reboot

Discus and support All sorts of problems on unexpected reboot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This morning my computer rebooted for no apparent reason. Then a screen said "Please wait" without the harddrive activity light doing anything for a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Toller, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Toller Win User

All sorts of problems on unexpected reboot

This morning my computer rebooted for no apparent reason.
    Then a screen said "Please wait" without the harddrive activity light doing anything for a half hour.
    I pushed the power button and the computer went off. I pushed it again and nothing happened, repeatedly.
    I unplugged it and tried again. Nothing happened. I kept pushing the power button and eventurally it turned on and said "working on update 100% complete", with the activity light on solid.
    I came back in 10 minutes and it said "working on update on update 30% complete". It gradually went to 100% complete and rebooted and said "couldn't complete update".
    After it came up, and checked my updateds. The machine says I am up to date, with the date of the last update 2 days ago.

So,
    1) Why did it just hang on "please wait"?
    2) Why wouldn't it turn back on?

3) What was it doing when my last update was 2 days ago and I am now up to date?

2 days ago it did 3 updates, most prominently '2017-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4034674)'

:)

Toller, Aug 10, 2017
  2. garym123 Win User
    garym123, Aug 10, 2017
  3. EuanPort Win User
    All sorts of storage problems.

I'm on a Lumia 635. All the issues began when I got my sd card. I tried moving my stuff from my phone to the card because I was really low on space, now everything is broken. I can't view any pictures that I save, all my music saves twice, I can't find
    a lot of apps and some won't open. I connected my phone to my computer to try and fix it but sadly it doesn't work at all. If anyone knows what this is or how to fix it please do tell me. Thanks.

EuanPort, Aug 10, 2017
  4. Toller Win User

I took my dog for a walk and when I got home the computer was off. It won't turn on.
    Any advice?

Toller, Aug 10, 2017
  5. spunk Win User
    When you press the power button, does the computer power up (ie) the fans spin, lights come on? Unplug the power cable from the computer end. Press the power button for 2 seconds to release any power, plug the power cable back in, put the other end of the cable into the wall directly and not thru a Power Strip or extension card. Does the computer power on now? If not, then the Power Supply Unit needs replacing.

spunk, Aug 10, 2017
  6. Toller Win User
    Absolutely nothing happens when I push the power button. I connected the drive to another computer and found it was fine, but the connectors for the PSU is different, so I can't try using the other computers PSU.

Would a bad PSU explain the update issues also?

I have attached two pictures of my PSU. It is on a Lenova H050. What do I need to buy to replace it?

All sorts of problems on unexpected reboot [​IMG]

All sorts of problems on unexpected reboot [​IMG]

Toller, Aug 10, 2017
  7. Steve C Win User
    You can easily test a PSU by disconnecting it from the motherboard then using the paperclip test to see if the PSU turns on - http://support.antec.com/support/sol...paperclip-test. Use a voltmeter to check the PSU is outputting the correct voltage.

If your PSU is dead, I can recommend an EVGA PSU who offer a 10 year warranty in the UK. I can't recommend XFX PSUs since I've had 2 fail under warranty.

Steve C, Aug 11, 2017
  8. CountMike New Member

You must separate hardware and software/OS problems. Not turning on is definitely a HW problem with PSU being first suspect, OS comes into play only at end of BOOT process. You can test it as Steve said but even if that test passed it's not the end as PSU may not supply enough power to one part despite sufficient voltage. Any PSU test has to be done under full load to be valid.

CountMike, Aug 11, 2017
  9. spunk Win User
    This PSU is old and under powered for your system. This is only 180Watts. Plus it is inexpensive and not reliable. Most OEM PSU's are under powered and installed by the manufacturer to save money. Here is the same model on Ebay. HuntKey Lenovo HK280-22FP 54Y8835 89Y1667 ThinkCentre A70 180W Power Supply | eBay
    The motherboard connector is a P1 20 pin, most modern motherboards use the P2 24pin connector. Your motherboard, being older, uses P1. Find a PSU with a modular connector with the optional P2 pins, Identify the connectors of the power supply (ie) you can put it in either a P1 motherboard like yours, or a P2, the extra pins are separated and optional. Try to find one that is at least 500Watts or better.

spunk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. All sorts of problems on unexpected reboot - Similar Threads - sorts problems unexpected

2. Unexpected reboot.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Unexpected reboot.: Good Day,I am using an Asus Rog Zephyrus Ryzen 5900hsMy notebook restarts suddenly and I have lost many progress works due to this.please help me find a solution for this.My windows version from the CMD -ver command is Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.22621.963]and I did...
  3. Unexpected reboot.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unexpected reboot.: Good Day,I am using an Asus Rog Zephyrus Ryzen 5900hsMy notebook restarts suddenly and I have lost many progress works due to this.please help me find a solution for this.My windows version from the CMD -ver command is Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.22621.963]and I did...
  4. Unexpected reboot.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Wireless Adapter is causing all sorts of problems

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wireless Adapter is causing all sorts of problems: Hello guys I really need your help. I recently noticed that my PC isn't working as intended and for some reason it always looks like these problems are linked to my wireless adapter. For example it disconnects randomly and when I reboot the PC (sorry I'm not very good with PC...
  6. Frequent unexpected reboots

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Frequent unexpected reboots: PC reboots randomly with this message in event viewer almost daily. The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000d1 0x0000000000000008, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0xfffff8057f6a7218. A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id:...
  7. unexpected rebooting

in Windows 10 Customization
    unexpected rebooting: My machine is unexpectedly rebooting, here's the diagnostic info. What actions should I take? I don't know enough about this to select the correct Windows topic. cheers Nicholas ============================================================================ Source...
  8. Unexpected reboot

in Windows 10 Support
    Unexpected reboot: Dear all, Can someone help? I've done some research checks myself and here goes: After installing win 10 a few days ago i get random reboots. (kernel-power-41-error-) these can occur a few in a hour or none for a whole day. The reboot is always preceded by these four filter...
  9. Having all sorts of weird problems

in Windows 10 Customization
    Having all sorts of weird problems: I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm having all sorts of issues with my PC and windows. 1) I can't access the control panel -- either by hitting the Window key or by clicking on the tool bar. 2) I can't download Word Docs (.docx) format. 3) I can't access Edge at all...
  10. all sorts of problems w/ Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    all sorts of problems w/ Explorer: Hello to the Microsoft Community. I do not know if my computer has been infected by a virus or something, but I've been having problems w/ my Explorer. A few months ago I am having major problems with my Explorer such as not being able to open up images and not being able...