Windows 10: all video converters no longer work

Discus and support all video converters no longer work in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; After a series of updates, one of which must have been at issue, ALL of my conversion software applications now fail to /convert/ any files. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by lostinlodos, Jan 26, 2016.

1. all video converters no longer work

After a series of updates, one of which must have been at issue, ALL of my conversion software applications now fail to /convert/ any files. The programs load properly but that is followed by various issues depending on the app.
    Tipard will load, load video files, and start to convert... but immediately fail upon starting the conversion process.
    Handbrake will load, but locks up on loading a file, any file, regardless of length, at the 20% mark.
    MakeMKV won't load at all.
    VLC randomly crashes, or refuses to play videos, music, or anything, after an undetermined amount of time.
    My FTP software no longer loads its settings files and scripts.

And an annoyance, all of a sudden all my icons have little green check marks on them.

Windows 10 Professional x64
    Version 1511
    Build 10586.63
    AMD FX 9590 X8 4.7
    32 GB ram

Tipard Blu-Ray Converter Version 7.3.30. No message just an icon notice. See photo

handbrake 0.10.3.0 x64: Preset Export Failed. Unable to load in Presets. Please restart HandBrake No additional exception information available : upon startup.
    Added files freeze program at 20% mark

MakeMKV (no idea what version, won't load at all)

Paint won't save any files anymore. See same photo

:)

lostinlodos, Jan 26, 2016

2. N95 8GB all my MP4's stop working after 35 mins!?

You are using Nokia Video Manager or other Nokia supplied tool.

There's a known issue that videos longer than 35 minutes are not converted correctly with these Nokia tools.

Use other encoder to convert the videos.

Visit my blog for some tips.

Video Tips

el_loco---01, Jan 26, 2016
  3. mccbleue Win User
    Video converters

For the built-in media player, you need to convert to MP4. You can do this with Nokia's PC Suite, but I prefer to use WinAVI which I bought some time ago, it has never let me down.

You may also consider buying Core Player, which is a good mobile media player for phones - this would allow you to play a wider variety of formats, including AVI so you wouldn't have to convert your current files at all.

mccbleue, Jan 26, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

all video converters no longer work

Hi.
    Can you try going into Control Panel>Programs and Features, find that one and click on it, select CHANGE and then select REPAIR?

Edit: The green check marks could be from Norton, Carbonite, or OneDrive.

simrick, Jan 26, 2016
  5. Follow up. I reinstalled Windows FROM SCRATCH on a new bare never used drive.
    Aside from antivirus software the first and ONLY thing I installed was TBC. My video converter

Worked fine. Updated Windows updates, deferred and selectively as much as Microsoft would let me break them down; one by one.

Something in the range of 01 January - 21 January broke your software and many other applications on my system.

These update include
    "Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool" kb890830

"Windows Visual C++ Update 4" KB3119142

This update is known to fail on MANY user's computers. Including mine. Leaving C++ partially broken

"Silverlight update" KB3126036

"Cumulative Update 1511" KB3124263

All of these were found, available, and installed at the same time. I could NOT separate them. I am unable to roll back kb3119142, kb3124263, and kb890830.
    The problem persists after removing the silverlight update.

The issue is one or all of those three updates. kb3119142, kb3124263, and kb890830.
    After these three updates install, I can no longer install MANY applications, I receive generic can't execute, can't install, or error running notices. Or no notice at all, simply no execution. The little mouse spinner pops up, then disappears. And nothing happens.

Hope this helps!

lostinlodos, Jan 27, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    That's a very good evaluation. I would suggest that you open the Feedback app and post it there for Microsoft. They need to be made aware of this problem.

Regarding this one:
    If you go to Control Panel>Programs and Features, find 2012 C++ and highlight it, click CHANGE, and select REPAIR, this has solved that problem for many people. I really think this will help, as it needs to be repaired for you to install other apps.

simrick, Jan 28, 2016
  7. Definitely not c++ though thats a problem on its own. Must be the msrt or the rollup. Guess The Next step is to break up the rollup and go one by one till I find it.
    C++
    The c++ issue is fixed by updating via windows update on a non-elevated admin account and then click on the elevated requirement notice to install.
    It won't install on an account with the uac base level at 0 or 1

lostinlodos, Jan 28, 2016
  8. all video converters no longer work

0/1 in reference to the registry setting for uac. Sorry

lostinlodos, Jan 28, 2016
  9. Problem found. The msrt removed, or allowed the removal, I'm not yet sure which/when, the 'virtual' video device driver. Other installation issues were c++ afterall.
    Manually breaking the installer for tbc and (re)installing the driver fixed the issue.

lostinlodos, Feb 7, 2016
  10. simrick Win User
    Glad you got it sorted. Thanks for following up here, to help others.

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

all video converters no longer work

1. all video converters no longer work - Similar Threads - video converters longer

2. Video converter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Video converter: Please, I need some advice. I made a video with my digital camera, it is an AVI file. What is the best free online converter that will convert it to an MP4 file? Thank you so much in advance....
  3. Video converter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Video converter: Please, I need some advice. I made a video with my digital camera, it is an AVI file. What is the best free online converter that will convert it to an MP4 file? Thank you so much in advance....
  4. All CMD Commands No longer Work

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    All CMD Commands No longer Work: Hi all, When I restarted my pc this morning I noticed a tool that requires a CMD command to run properly wasnt working and was giving the error: 'cls' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. I thought that it was just a program...
  5. Good video converters?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Good video converters?: I've been trying to convert a video for half an eternity, but I can't find a suitable page for it and I don't want to download any program that doesn't support the format Do you know a converter that is free, easy to use, supports really every source/file and can also...
  6. Convert & Compress a video.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Convert & Compress a video.: I have a MP4 video of 71mb that I need to submit for assessment but the website I have to submit it to will only accept avi videos less than 5mb. A previous Microsoft contributor suggested I download a video editing program which I did but it is way too complicated for my...
  7. Convert Video Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Convert Video Files: Does windows 10 offer a service to convert and compress video files? Secondly if the answer is no how do I know if the service I download is legitimate? Thirdly if the answer is no can anyone recommend a service for someone who knows very little? Sorry for all the...
  8. Video is not converting

Video is not converting: Dear Microsoft I tried to add the videos in the Microsoft photo app but the videos are combined and it is not saving as a single video while trying to save into the local file and also the Mp3 song unable to merge into the video track. My computer photo app is up to...
  9. Video Convertion

Video Convertion: Hello, I have several video clips mp4 format, 720 x 960 size. I am trying to resize them to 720 x 1280, bitrate and frame rate stay the same. To do this I use "Format Factory" and "VideoPad Video editor"(each at a time), in both I make all the settings and start the...
  10. video player no longer working

in Windows 10 Support
    video player no longer working: I am not able to watch any YouTube videos or videos on other sites. Sound is good but screen is a wavey green colour. This wasn't an issue before I upgraded to Windows 10. Any suggestions would be very helpful. 16995