Windows 10: Allocating Names to Downloaded Files

Discus and support Allocating Names to Downloaded Files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I routinely download data files for analysis in Excel. These files arrive with the same default name and I am required to change the name or close the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ivath0, Nov 2, 2017.

1. ivath0 Win User

Allocating Names to Downloaded Files

I routinely download data files for analysis in Excel. These files arrive with the same default name and I am required to change the name or close the previously downloaded file.
    I have tried in vain to find the setting that will cause Windows to suffix the default name of a downloading file if a previous file with the unsuffixed name is open.

Example: I have open a downloaded file named 'Data'. I initiate another download and I want Windows to proceed by automatically naming the new file 'Data(1)'

How do I achieve this?

:)

ivath0, Nov 2, 2017

2. file allocation

i accidently set my desktop location to C: and all the files in c started to display on desktop, and now i am not able to change back the location to otjer folder or to default, please help

SoNam WangDi, Nov 2, 2017
  3. Kris Ver Win User
    file allocation

Hi SoNam,

Thank you for providing details about your concern. We would like to ask for more information so we can further assist you with your concern:

• Can you send us a screenshot of your file explorer showing the new location of your Desktop?
    • Can you tell us the task that you're trying to perform before you noticed that the Desktop location was changed to C:?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Meanwhile, try restoring the Desktop folder to its original location. To do this:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Go to the location where you have saved the Desktop folder.
    • Right-click on the Desktop folder.
    • Click Properties.
    • Click on Location tab.
    • Click Restore Default button. It will move back the selected folder to the original location.
    • Click Apply.
    • Click Yes.
    We look forward to your response.

Kris Ver, Nov 2, 2017
  4. AndreTen Win User

Hi ivath, welcome to Tenforums

this is exactly how's working for me. Could this be a problem with file without extension? Do you have default setting to "save file" or open with default program?

System is attaching numbers to the file name, no matter if the file have extension or not, or if the file is already opened.. Check that you want to save file... Could be application problem - how are you downloading files?

Allocating Names to Downloaded Files [​IMG]

Allocating Names to Downloaded Files [​IMG]

AndreTen, Nov 2, 2017
Thema:

1. Allocating Names to Downloaded Files - Similar Threads - Allocating Names Downloaded

2. Why would Downloaded file names change upon download?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why would Downloaded file names change upon download?: Good morning all,I download data files daily for my job and typically they are named as such"Daily Error Report_2023-12-24T05_49_03.csv" but in the past week or so the name of the File after it's downloaded is listed as follows...
  3. Why would Downloaded file names change upon download?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why would Downloaded file names change upon download?: Good morning all,I download data files daily for my job and typically they are named as such"Daily Error Report_2023-12-24T05_49_03.csv" but in the past week or so the name of the File after it's downloaded is listed as follows...
  4. What is a valid file name for windows 10 download

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is a valid file name for windows 10 download: I just downloaded the windows 10 os but my vista os isn't accepting it, keeps kicking it back in a error message that it's not a valid file name. I'm a novice computer user & am lost in trying to update from Vista OS. What can I do to make this work, please advise?...
  5. What is a valid file name for windows 10 download

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is a valid file name for windows 10 download: I just downloaded the windows 10 os but my vista os isn't accepting it, keeps kicking it back in a error message that it's not a valid file name. I'm a novice computer user & am lost in trying to update from Vista OS. What can I do to make this work, please advise?...
  6. ExFAT File Allocation change penalties?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    ExFAT File Allocation change penalties?: I have a 64 GB flash, but the question can also extend if I want to use it on a larger hard drive. No website nor Microsoft has answered the question that I have found at least and I think about it every few years. Microsoft has a standard table for storage size and...
  7. Windows 10 Downloading Files with duplicate file names

Windows 10 Downloading Files with duplicate file names: If I was downloading a string of picture files from a site, one at a time, I USED to get an overwrite file with same name warning. Now it just automatically downloads the new file with the same name with a number added to differentiate. Problem is, I wind up with a...
  8. Russian file names in downloaded files

Russian file names in downloaded files: Hi, I'm having a problem with downloaded files with names in Russian, looks like downloaded files do not support Russian language example of downloaded file name ÂÊ ÊÒ-2 è ÀÏ. It's same fore Edge and Chrome Device Surface Pro 7[ATTACH] example of what file name meant to be...
  9. All of my download files are getting named the same

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    All of my download files are getting named the same: Regardless of what browser I use, or what type of files I download, I will always get the name download to appear as screenshot-www.amazon.com-2019.12.01-08\_41\_54 screencast-www.amazon.com-2019.12 th Not sure what could be causing the issue submitted by /u/grafcar...
  10. Explorer crashes, when download a File with a long Name.

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer crashes, when download a File with a long Name.: Hallo, today i downloaded a cab File from https://www.catalog.update.microsoft...l(R)%2082567LM , in the Download Folder. When i open the folder, the explorer hangs and i can only finish the process. So that the explorer crashes. Original name of the file is...