Windows 10: Allocating Names to Downloaded Files

Discus and support Allocating Names to Downloaded Files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I routinely download data files for analysis in Excel. These files arrive with the same default name and I am required to change the name or close the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ivath0, Nov 2, 2017.

1. ivath0 Win User

Allocating Names to Downloaded Files

I routinely download data files for analysis in Excel. These files arrive with the same default name and I am required to change the name or close the previously downloaded file.
    I have tried in vain to find the setting that will cause Windows to suffix the default name of a downloading file if a previous file with the unsuffixed name is open.

Example: I have open a downloaded file named 'Data'. I initiate another download and I want Windows to proceed by automatically naming the new file 'Data(1)'

How do I achieve this?

:)

ivath0, Nov 2, 2017

2. file allocation

i accidently set my desktop location to C: and all the files in c started to display on desktop, and now i am not able to change back the location to otjer folder or to default, please help

SoNam WangDi, Nov 2, 2017
  3. Kris Ver Win User
    file allocation

Hi SoNam,

Thank you for providing details about your concern. We would like to ask for more information so we can further assist you with your concern:

• Can you send us a screenshot of your file explorer showing the new location of your Desktop?
    • Can you tell us the task that you're trying to perform before you noticed that the Desktop location was changed to C:?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Meanwhile, try restoring the Desktop folder to its original location. To do this:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Go to the location where you have saved the Desktop folder.
    • Right-click on the Desktop folder.
    • Click Properties.
    • Click on Location tab.
    • Click Restore Default button. It will move back the selected folder to the original location.
    • Click Apply.
    • Click Yes.
    We look forward to your response.

Kris Ver, Nov 2, 2017
  4. AndreTen Win User

Hi ivath, welcome to Tenforums

this is exactly how's working for me. Could this be a problem with file without extension? Do you have default setting to "save file" or open with default program?

System is attaching numbers to the file name, no matter if the file have extension or not, or if the file is already opened.. Check that you want to save file... Could be application problem - how are you downloading files?

Allocating Names to Downloaded Files [​IMG]

Allocating Names to Downloaded Files [​IMG]

AndreTen, Nov 2, 2017
Thema:

1. Allocating Names to Downloaded Files - Similar Threads - Allocating Names Downloaded

2. Allocating Hard Drive Space

in Windows 10 Customization
    Allocating Hard Drive Space: Lets start from the beginning. I dropped my computer about a month ago and the hard drive started to fail on me so i shut the computer down for a while, got a new hard drive, and used a dock like thing to clone the stuff from my dying hard drive to my new one. my issue now is...
  3. file names

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file names: When I name a file and use some caps and some lower case letters why is file explorer changing it to all lower case? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-names/8467538b-d686-4ac9-9271-62ba146d174f"
  4. File name

File name: I noticed in Program Files {x86} all the files that start with the word Windows are first letter caps except this one - "windows.nt." It doesn't seem right to me. Shouldn't it also be first letter capitalized? I think I remember reading somewhere that it might indicate a...
  5. Alloc Magic is broken

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Alloc Magic is broken: I have windows dual boot with ubuntu 16.04. When I shut down my laptop yesterday from windows, it started updating. Once it finished, I cannot access windows from the grub menu as it gives "Alloc Magic is broken". When I try to boot in directly into windows, it shuts down...
  6. Slow memory allocation on Windows

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Slow memory allocation on Windows: Hi, I have implemented a program and found out that the performance of allocation a lot of memory is severely limited on Windows. Allocating and reusing a single chunk of memory (10 MB) is actually fast, but initializing a lot of new memory (30 GB) is very slow and...
  7. allocation errors due to cross-linked files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    allocation errors due to cross-linked files: When I try to run a backup using Paragon backup software I get a message saying that "there are allocation errors due to cross-linked files" It says that I should use the Built-in OS tools for checking this kind of error. When I tried to find a solution I was told to download...
  8. File names \

File names \: Hi, There is a file named \ in one of my folders, and I can't delete it using any means. I can't just ignore it since its inside a git project. I would really like to delete this file if possible. Thanks in Advance!...
  9. Invalid File Name

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Invalid File Name: Hi all, Sorry for my poor english. I have a SDHC 32GB card and I formated it to exFAT, because I need it for a file that is bigger than 4GB. Everything looks and run good, expect 2 files (my own) that I can´t open and read it, the App says "Invalid FIle Name". I can see...
  10. Disk Allocation

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk Allocation: Hi everyone, It's Kousik here. I have installed xubuntu along with windows 10. To do that i had to re partition my hard disk which is of 1 tb. While doing this i can't allocate 250gb as primary partition. The message below is showing " You cannot allocate a primay...