Windows 10: Allocation unit size for USB flash drive 32GB

Discus and support Allocation unit size for USB flash drive 32GB in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I just bought 32GB usb flash drive and i want to format it, but i dont know what default Allocation unit size for formating it and also i've no idea... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mikelferdinan, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Allocation unit size for USB flash drive 32GB

I just bought 32GB usb flash drive and i want to format it, but i dont know what default Allocation unit size for formating it and also i've no idea what it means.
    Here a screenshot

Allocation unit size for USB flash drive 32GB [​IMG]

I hope you guys can explain and help me decide which one should i choose. And sorry if this off topic. Thanks in advance.

:)

mikelferdinan, Jan 18, 2017
  2. garym123 Win User

NTFS support for Micro sd card

Cards 32GB and smaller should be formatted to FAT32 and allocation unit size 32kB.

Cards larger that 32GB should be formatted to exFAT and allocation unit size 128kB.

Format on the PC. Do not add date. Put it directly in phone. Add data with phone connected to PC

garym123, Jan 18, 2017
  3. garym123 Win User
    Best File system type and Allocation unit size for MicroSD card

For SD cards that are 32GB and smaller, select the file system FAT32 and allocation unit size 32 kilobytes. For 64GB cards and larger select the file system exFAT and allocation unit size 128kB.

garym123, Jan 18, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Allocation unit size for USB flash drive 32GB

The allocation size I'd use is 64KB. FAT32 formatting can't work with a file size of 4GB + 1Byte or larger, has to be NTFS. I haven't played with exFAT yet. Windows can't format more than 32GB as FAT32. When needing FAT32 I usually format 64GB and larger drives using Linux Mint or the bootable GPARTED LiveCD, have done 125GB and 250GB HDDs as FAT32 to use with my MacBook Pro as Mac OS X and the newer osMAC has problems with NTFS unless using a third-party software.

Berton, Jan 18, 2017
  5. Avocado Win User
    The default "Allocation unit size" setting is automatically detected, so do not change the setting.

Avocado, Jan 18, 2017
  6. topgundcp Win User
    Basically, the allocation unit size is the block size on your hard drive when it formats NTFS (default 4096 bytes). If you have lots of small files, then it’s a good idea to keep the allocation size small so your harddrive space won’t be wasted. If you have lots of large files, keeping it higher will increase the system performance by having less blocks to seek.
    For example:
    with a 1 byte file size will occupy 4096 bytes if allocation unit is set to 4096 bytes while it will occupy 8192 bytes if you set it to 8182 bytes.

For flash drive. You can either format with NTFS or ExFat. However, NTFS on flash memory has been known to be inefficient. exFAT’s smaller footprint/overhead.

topgundcp, Jan 18, 2017
  7. EdTittel Win User
    One more thing: If you want a UFD to be bootable and your system uses UEFI, you MUST use FAT32 for it to be recognized. And if it ain't recognized, it ain't gonna work, either...
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Allocation unit size for USB flash drive 32GB

1. Allocation unit size for USB flash drive 32GB - Similar Threads - Allocation unit size

2. Not enough space on 32gb usb flash drive for windows 10 download?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Not enough space on 32gb usb flash drive for windows 10 download?: I tried reformatting my hard drive it says its unable https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-enough-space-on-32gb-usb-flash-drive-for/cbce8a9f-aa8f-4233-ace6-6ab629a19316
  3. Not enough space on 32gb usb flash drive for windows 10 download?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not enough space on 32gb usb flash drive for windows 10 download?: I tried reformatting my hard drive it says its unable https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-enough-space-on-32gb-usb-flash-drive-for/cbce8a9f-aa8f-4233-ace6-6ab629a19316
  4. Not enough space on 32gb usb flash drive for windows 10 download?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. 2TB Flash Drive Downgraded To 32GB Flash Drive Stuck On One Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    2TB Flash Drive Downgraded To 32GB Flash Drive Stuck On One Partition: Previously, days ago, the flash drive I was using originally stored up to 2 terabytes on there and I recently had a huge bug where I had no access into it, which I managed to fix. After this happened, it now only goes up to 32 gigabytes taking up the entire partition.How am I...
  6. 32GB SanDisk USB Flash Drive not listed on Windows Explorer

32GB SanDisk USB Flash Drive not listed on Windows Explorer: I've had issues with a 32GB SanDisk USB Flash Drive which is normally shown as the F: drive where it's unlisted on Windows Explorer, but is still recognized by the system.As shown in the attached image, the drive is picked up by Devices and Printers in the Control Panel where...
  7. Allocation unit size when formatting USB flash drive

Allocation unit size when formatting USB flash drive: Hi: I am currently involved with transferring music MP3 files to a 32-GB thumb drive and have needed to reformat the thumb drive several times during the troubleshooting process that I am dealing with. I do not know how to make an intelligent choice for the Allocation unit...
  8. How to view allocation unit size?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to view allocation unit size?: [ATTACH] When I view properties for a USB flash drive, I can see space used, free space, capacity and file system type. It does not display allocation unit size though. So where do I go to view that? Disk properties submitted by /u/Ken852 [link] [comments]...
  9. 32GB Flash Drive Turns to 8MB

32GB Flash Drive Turns to 8MB: A friend gave me a 32gb flash drive, later some time i format it then turns to 8mb in size. What happen? is it possible to fix this and make 32gb again? [img] [img] Update: L O L I just format it again using this tool [img] [img] 75786
  10. Why a 32GB USB Drive for Recovery?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why a 32GB USB Drive for Recovery?: I have upgraded a Win 7 and a Win 8 computers to Win 10. On the Win 7 I used an 8 GB USB Drive for Recovery and it did not use all of the space. On the Win 8 computer I'm getting a message that I need a 32 GB drive. I understand that it may also be backing up my Win 8...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. allocation unit size flash drive 32gb

2. Allocation unit size of 32GB USB

3. allocation unit size 4kb 32gb

4. disk allocation size 4096 for 32gb sd card,
  5. allocation unit size for 32 gb usb drive,
  6. fat32 allocation unit size 32gb,
  7. allocation unit size recommended for usb,
  8. allocation units for fat32 recovery drive 32gb,
  9. allocation unit size fat32 usb drives,
  10. flash drive allocation unit size,
  11. format 32gb fat32 allocation,