Allow an app through Controlled folder access help please

Discus and support Allow an app through Controlled folder access help please in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, Just deleted a couple of embroidery programs and yet they are showing up in controlled folder access, how to rid of these?... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Wendy Lee SG, Aug 10, 2018 at 5:32 PM.

1. Wendy Lee SG Win User

Hello,

Just deleted a couple of embroidery programs and yet they are showing up in controlled folder access, how to rid of these?

:)

Wendy Lee SG, Aug 10, 2018 at 5:32 PM
  2. Eric Ber Win User

Controlled Folder Access blocked

Hi Aeolus0,

The Controlled Folder Access is an enterprise-class ransomware protection component that was recently added to Windows Defender. When you turn on Controlled folder access, a lot of the folders you use most often will be protected by default. This means that
    content in any of these folders cannot be accessed or changed by any unknown or untrusted apps. Once you add additional folders, they become automatically protected as well. To add protected folders:

• Select Virus & threat protection settings.
    • Under Controlled folder access, select Protected folders.
    • Select Add a protected folder and follow the prompts to add folders.

If you see an App is blocked message when you try to use a familiar app, you can simply unblock the app. If this message displays:

• Write down or take note of the path of the blocked app.
    • Select the message, and then select Add an allowed app.
    • Browse for the program you want to allow access.

As for your query about having no sounds on your computer, it could be caused by an outdated or corrupted audio driver. For us to assist you better, kindly answer the questions below:

• Have you made any changes to your computer prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Which version and OS build number of Windows 10 is currently installed? To check, press the
      Windows key, type winver, and press the
      Enter
      key.
    • Have you tried to download and install the latest audio driver from the manufacturer's website of your device?

Meanwhile, you can try the steps in this
    link
    to troubleshoot sound issues on Windows 10.

We'll be looking forward to your reply.

3. NickJP Win User
    Controlled folder access problems

I turned on controlled folder access in latest Windows 10 and tested with a few programs I use. I tested by adding Libreoffice calc (c:\program files\libreoffice5\scalc.exe) as an allowed app. However, with controlled folder access on I can't save any spreadsheets that I modify in my Documents folder, which is one of the controlled folders. Same problem with saving an image from either Gimp or Photoshop Elements when I add them to the list of allowed apps.

In its present state this feature seems pretty unusable.

4. dalchina Win User

Controlled Folder Access

- from that tutorial. I believe if you have a 3rd party AV the function is disabled as it relies on Defender's real time scan.

Clearly the degree of protection depends on what the app accesses and which folders are protected.

I have a program which whitelists programs- thus any new (unapproved) program running results in a prompt for approval. That's more comprehensive.

Whatever level of protection you use within Windows, there's going to be a way bad things can happen. We constantly encourage people to use disk imaging routinely so you have a second chance to recover without technical help. E.g. Macrium Reflect (free).

========================
    As to the FCU- major builds are rolled out over 2-3 months with priority given to systems likely to have no issues (at least that's what MS is said to try to do).

Thema:

1. Allow an app through Controlled folder access help please - Similar Threads - Allow app through

2. Wndows Keeps Creating User Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Wndows Keeps Creating User Folder: When I first did a clean install of Windows 10 on my laptop, I moved my user 'Documents' folder to 'C:\DataFiles.' I have since created another partition and moved the 'Documents' folder to 'd:\DataFiles.' now even thpugh I delete 'c:\DataFiles' Windows contitues to re-create...
  3. Mail app malfunction

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mail app malfunction: A few days ago I posted a question about the function of the Mail app. When I open an email message like the one below using the Mail app viewer it only shows this line information with no pictures or images or graphics, just this. I've been told that it could be a corrupted...
  4. suggested apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    suggested apps: how do I turn off suggested apps from instalng and showing up on my start automatically? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/suggested-apps/352f9108-e745-468b-b07d-b3c31b486507
  5. How to rename the default folder "3D Objects" to "Work"?

How to rename the default folder "3D Objects" to "Work"?: Hi, I am not a graphics expert or have nothing to do with 3D modelling and hence have no use for the folder name "3D objects". I would rather rename it to something useful like "Work" please can you assist me in this? I followed these steps:...
  6. help this is what my screen looks like? from my point view the screen in tinted green gray.

help this is what my screen looks like? from my point view the screen in tinted green gray.: here is the dilemma, happen after a lighting strike it was worse before but this is what is subsided to [IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/help-this-is-what-my-screen-looks-like-from-my/f168d730-0e22-40d0-9986-3d96f7e8950a
  7. Getting a M2IzYzlm.exe in task manager and a folder with random name in Program Files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Getting a M2IzYzlm.exe in task manager and a folder with random name in Program Files: Getting a M2IzYzlm.exe in task manager, It pops up after a certain interval of time and switches off my wifi, when I right clicked and tried to locate it, it shows a folder with a weird name inside the Program Files. Scanned the laptop with Rogue Killer, Defender and MBAM,...
  8. Question about the XB1 controller and Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about the XB1 controller and Windows 10.: Is there anyway to check the battery level? I didn't see anything in the game bar. This would be a really convenient feature. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/question-about-the-xb1-controller-and-windows-10/f739f6d0-51ff-47cb-9824-62ce72afb803
  9. help this is what my screen looks like? from my point view the screen in tinted green gray.

help this is what my screen looks like? from my point view the screen in tinted green gray.: help this is what my screen looks like? from my point view the screen in tinted green-gray. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/help-this-is-what-my-screen-looks-like-from-my/1cfd39dd-64b2-4a25-9548-8d95ac4d6255
  10. Windows 10 asks me to set up pin every time i log on, please help

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 asks me to set up pin every time i log on, please help: every time i log on windows tries to set up pin, but i don't want pin! any help would be appreciated. thanks, ~Matt https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/windows-10-asks-me-to-set-up-pin-every-time-i-log/e1fe6901-0fe1-40d1-a990-5460f7ba6f23"