Windows 10: Allow an app through Controlled folder access help please

Discus and support Allow an app through Controlled folder access help please in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, Just deleted a couple of embroidery programs and yet they are showing up in controlled folder access, how to rid of these?... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Wendy Lee SG, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Allow an app through Controlled folder access help please

Hello,

Just deleted a couple of embroidery programs and yet they are showing up in controlled folder access, how to rid of these?

:)

Wendy Lee SG, Aug 10, 2018
  2. Eric Ber Win User

Controlled Folder Access blocked

Hi Aeolus0,

The Controlled Folder Access is an enterprise-class ransomware protection component that was recently added to Windows Defender. When you turn on Controlled folder access, a lot of the folders you use most often will be protected by default. This means that
    content in any of these folders cannot be accessed or changed by any unknown or untrusted apps. Once you add additional folders, they become automatically protected as well. To add protected folders:

• Select Virus & threat protection settings.
    • Under Controlled folder access, select Protected folders.
    • Select Add a protected folder and follow the prompts to add folders.

If you see an App is blocked message when you try to use a familiar app, you can simply unblock the app. If this message displays:

• Write down or take note of the path of the blocked app.
    • Select the message, and then select Add an allowed app.
    • Browse for the program you want to allow access.

As for your query about having no sounds on your computer, it could be caused by an outdated or corrupted audio driver. For us to assist you better, kindly answer the questions below:

• Have you made any changes to your computer prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Which version and OS build number of Windows 10 is currently installed? To check, press the
      Windows key, type winver, and press the
      Enter
      key.
    • Have you tried to download and install the latest audio driver from the manufacturer's website of your device?

Meanwhile, you can try the steps in this
    link
    to troubleshoot sound issues on Windows 10.

We'll be looking forward to your reply.

Eric Ber, Aug 10, 2018
  3. NickJP Win User
    Controlled folder access problems

I turned on controlled folder access in latest Windows 10 and tested with a few programs I use. I tested by adding Libreoffice calc (c:\program files\libreoffice5\scalc.exe) as an allowed app. However, with controlled folder access on I can't save any spreadsheets that I modify in my Documents folder, which is one of the controlled folders. Same problem with saving an image from either Gimp or Photoshop Elements when I add them to the list of allowed apps.

In its present state this feature seems pretty unusable.

NickJP, Aug 10, 2018
  4. dalchina Win User

Allow an app through Controlled folder access help please

Controlled Folder Access

- from that tutorial. I believe if you have a 3rd party AV the function is disabled as it relies on Defender's real time scan.

Clearly the degree of protection depends on what the app accesses and which folders are protected.

I have a program which whitelists programs- thus any new (unapproved) program running results in a prompt for approval. That's more comprehensive.

Whatever level of protection you use within Windows, there's going to be a way bad things can happen. We constantly encourage people to use disk imaging routinely so you have a second chance to recover without technical help. E.g. Macrium Reflect (free).

========================
    As to the FCU- major builds are rolled out over 2-3 months with priority given to systems likely to have no issues (at least that's what MS is said to try to do).

dalchina, Aug 10, 2018
Thema:

Allow an app through Controlled folder access help please

1. Allow an app through Controlled folder access help please - Similar Threads - Allow app through

2. Windows 11 Controlled Folder Access blocking allowed Apps

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 11 Controlled Folder Access blocking allowed Apps: Hi, since the recent update to Windows 11 Controlled Folder Access is constantly blocking allowed software I need on pc. Mainly its Adobe Software particularly Illustrator and WD Acronis True Image. I need these for work and its getting frustrating and the software is slower...
  3. Writing powershell script to allow apps through Controlled Folder Access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Writing powershell script to allow apps through Controlled Folder Access: Hi,I have been trying to write a script to allow programs such as Paint, Screen Snippet, etc. to save to protected folders. However, I found it strange that while %UserProfile%\Documents is protected by default %UserProfile%\Desktop is not. Does not user store many of his...
  4. Writing powershell script to allow apps through Controlled Folder Access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Writing powershell script to allow apps through Controlled Folder Access: Hi,I have been trying to write a script to allow programs such as Paint, Screen Snippet, etc. to save to protected folders. However, I found it strange that while %UserProfile%\Documents is protected by default %UserProfile%\Desktop is not. Does not user store many of his...
  5. How to allow xbox game bar through controlled folder access

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to allow xbox game bar through controlled folder access: When turning Controlled folder access on, Xbox game bar record is greyed out. When enable Xbox game bar to record in settings is automatically disable when exiting settings. Doesn't know where is the Xbox game bar program to add to allowed app. Someone knows the solution for...
  6. Is it possible to allow a file through Controlled Folder Access if it'll be in a different...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to allow a file through Controlled Folder Access if it'll be in a different...: Whenever a Dell update app runs on my laptop it runs an executable called "SSDUpdate.exe". I'd like to allow that file through Controlled Folder Access but each time it runs it's in a different folder in the C:\Windows\Temp folder. Is there a way to exclude the file by its...
  7. Allowing Apps. through Controlled folder access

Allowing Apps. through Controlled folder access: I have a list of 14 ".exe" files under the subject heading; there seems to be no way of deleting them or allowing them; the "+ Add an allowed app button" just results in opening up what appear to be I have a list of 16 ".exe" files under Allowing Apps. through Controlled...
  8. Controlled Folder Access keeps blocking allowed app

Controlled Folder Access keeps blocking allowed app: I have gone through the repeated tedium of adding, one at a time, .exe files to the list of programs allowed through Win10's Controlled Folder Access. This typically works fine. I usually have to restart the app in question, and occasionally seem to have to reboot, but...
  9. Allow an app through Controled folder access

Allow an app through Controled folder access: Hello I am not sure what this image attached to this question is asking I.e I have no idea what app is being referr[ATTACH]ed to! I am not even sure what the 'Control folder' refers to! I was going to look it up like usual before posting but I have many things open...
  10. Add Allow App through Controlled Folder Access context menu Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Allow App through Controlled Folder Access context menu Windows 10: How to: Add Allow App through Controlled Folder Access context menu Windows 10 How to Add "Allow App through Controlled Folder Access" context menu in Windows 10 Starting with Controlled folder access is introduced in Windows Defender Antivirus. When Controlled...