Windows 10: Allow Automatic Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10

Discus and support Allow Automatic Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Since the Creators Update the mysterious wording in Windows Update has puzzled many, and Microsoft hasn't exactly been forthcoming. Just what updates... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Bree, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Bree New Member

Allow Automatic Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10

Since the Creators Update the mysterious wording in Windows Update has puzzled many, and Microsoft hasn't exactly been forthcoming. Just what updates are "required to keep Windows running smoothly"?

Allow Automatic Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10 [​IMG]

It doesn't help that the behaviour of updates over metered connections was broken with the launch of Anniversary Updates (1607) and has never really worked properly since.
    Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10 (post #51)

In 1607 and then in 1703, with metered connections turned on cumulative updates ignore the 'metered' state and try to download anyway, hanging at 2% until you turn off metering. You never got shown the 'Download' button as you should (but you did get asked when the only update was a Defender definitions update).

Fall Creators Update 1709 seems to have resolved both those issues. Checking for updates over metered connections now appears to work as intended, and it is becoming clear which updates are "required to keep Windows running smoothly". Apparently a Flash security update is too urgent to delay, while a cumulative update can wait for an unmetered connection.

Note I think it's worth noting that my screenshot of the Flash update that downloaded over a metered connection while the CU didn't is the default behaviour before changing any settings, especially not the box to allow updates over metered connections.

This was tested on a fresh upgrade of 1703 to 1709, metering was turned on and I went straight to checking for updates without touching any other setting or policy.

ie. this is what Microsoft mean by saying they will download updates over a metered connection that are "required to keep Windows running smoothly". Presumably the policy box you can tick will allow all other updates too, not just the ones Microsoft deem as "required...".

:)

2. Sumit Dhiman2, Oct 24, 2017
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Oct 24, 2017
  4. Ronc Win User

You said: "Click/tap on Some settings are managed by your organization message on Windows Update." This doesn't work for me (1709 Jan 2018 updates). I unchecked the box and restored any changes in group policy to "not configured", rebooted, and checked for updates. The box remains unchecked but the red "some settings..." dialog remains.

5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jan 23, 2018
  6. RickC Win User
    I'm fairly certain that the first paragraph of this tutorial has a typo, i.e. "those updates requited to keep Windows running smoothly" should perhaps be "those updates required to keep Windows running smoothly".

But what do I know? *Smile

RickC, Feb 20, 2018
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Thank you Rick. Typo corrected. *Smile

Brink, Feb 20, 2018
  8. Bree New Member

If you have Pro version 1709 there is* a bug that, if you ticked the policy box in Advanced options for 'download updates, even over metered connections' the Some settings are managed by your organization text would remain, even if you unticked it again.

See my post #5 in that thread for how to remove it.

* there certainly was, I haven't checked recently to see if it's been fixed. Strangely, this bug never affected Home.

Edit: The bug appears to have been fixed some time before build number 16299.248

9. Hi Shawn @Brink

I'm running Windows 10 Home Edition, and for some reason, it won't allow me to check the box "Enabling this policy will automatically download updates, even over metered data connections (charges may apply)" and I'm not sure why?

Can you please help.

Thanks mate.

Regards, Neil *Smile

Neil Macready, Feb 20, 2018
  10. Bree New Member
    When 1709 was first released (16299.15) you could tick that box in both Home and Pro. As I described, earlier there was a bug in Pro that left the red 'some settings are managed by your organisation' message even after you unticked that box. That has been fixed now, I'm not sure which build fixed it but it is fixed in 16299.248. From the last post on page 2 here it appears that this bug was still being reported as present in 16299.214.

It always struck me as odd that this was the one and only Policy that could be set in Home, considering that for all other policies gpedit was not available in Home. This may be a deliberate change, then again it may be an unintended side effect of the 'fix' for Pro.

Either way, I can confirm that in the latest build of Home, attempting to tick that box briefly shows a tick but it is immediately removed again.

Edit: as the vast majority of automatic downloads are windows updates anyway, I can't see any real advantage for ticking that Policy over just turning off metering.

11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello @Neil,

I agree with Bree that you could just turn off metering.

However, have you already tried Option Two to set it instead?

If so and it doesn't stay set still, then you could try Option Four to set it via policy.

Brink, Feb 20, 2018
  12. Thank you Bree for the explanation. Yes that was what was happening, I was ticking the box and it briefly showed a tick, but it was immediately removed again. I'm glad you've confirmed that this is normal.

I've downloaded @Brink Option 4 Reg file and will use it.

Kind Regards, Neil *Smile

Neil Macready, Feb 21, 2018
  13. Allow Automatic Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10

Thanks Shawn. I'll run your Option 4 Reg file instead. Kind Regards, Neil *Smile

Neil Macready, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Allow Automatic Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Allow Automatic Updates

2. download updates over metered connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    download updates over metered connection: hi,Yesterday, I noticed that when checking for updates and when there are updates appearing, it states something like downloading updates over metered connection. Yet, when I checked under advance options, the option to turn on metered connection is not on. How to get the...
  3. download updates over metered connection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    download updates over metered connection: hi,Yesterday, I noticed that when checking for updates and when there are updates appearing, it states something like downloading updates over metered connection. Yet, when I checked under advance options, the option to turn on metered connection is not on. How to get the...
  4. Windows 10 Updated Without Permission Over Metered Connection

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Updated Without Permission Over Metered Connection: Recently, my new laptop with Windows 10 began installing updates when powered on, despite the fact that I have changed the update options to not download over a metered connection which my connections are all listed as. These updates were not only unwanted, causing...
  5. Configure automatic updates and metered connection

in Windows 10 Customization
    Configure automatic updates and metered connection: I have my connection set as metered to give me more control over Windows updates. And from reading blog posts, Windows won't download feature updates when metered is on. However, it will download security updates which is what I want. Can I use group policy to configure...
  6. Windows now doing automatic updates over metered connection

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows now doing automatic updates over metered connection: I have metered connection on and auto. download over metered off. This worked to prevent automatic updates until 2018-11-14, when it downloaded lots of updates anyway. Does anyone know what has changed? Is there any way now to prevent auto. updates with Windows Home? 121724
  7. Turn On or Off Download Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Download Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Download Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Allow Automatically Download Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10 By default, Windows Update in Windows 10 will automatically download and install updates,...
  8. Windows 10 1703 updating over Metered connection

Windows 10 1703 updating over Metered connection: I have 3 windows 10 1703 machines on a Metered connection, however windows update just installed KB4022725 (OS Build 15063.413) on each of them over the last 2 days why? Metered connection is set to "ON". Any advise would be appreciated. 86875
  9. How to update Windows 10 over metered connection?

How to update Windows 10 over metered connection?: I'm running Windows 10 Pro. I've had it a week and notice that no updates have yet been downloaded - all the available updates are marked 'Waiting for download'. I use a mobile broadband dongle and I am limited to 10 GB data a month. My understanding is that Windows...
  10. Turn On or Off Allow VPN over Metered Networks in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Allow VPN over Metered Networks in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Allow VPN over Metered Networks in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Allow VPN over Metered Networks in Windows 10 [img] Information Whether it's for work or personal use, you can connect to a VPN (virtual private network) on your Windows 10 PC....