Windows 10: Allow File Contents and Properties to be Indexed on a Drive in Windows

Discus and support Allow File Contents and Properties to be Indexed on a Drive in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Allow File Contents and Properties to be Indexed on a Drive in Windows How to Turn On or Off Indexing Contents and Properties of Files on a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Allow File Contents and Properties to be Indexed on a Drive in Windows

How to: Allow File Contents and Properties to be Indexed on a Drive in Windows

How to Turn On or Off Indexing Contents and Properties of Files on a Drive in Windows

Allow File Contents and Properties to be Indexed on a Drive in Windows [​IMG]
    Information By default, Windows will use the file types (extensions), file properties, and file contents you want indexed.

By default, Windows will index the contents and properties of files on any connected drives with a ReFS file system.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off to allow files on a drive to have contents and file properties indexed for all users in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to turn on or off allowing files on a drive to have contents and file properties indexed.

Here's How:

1. Open This PC in File Explorer (Win+E).

2. Right click or press and hold on a drive you want to turn on or off indexing its files contents and properties, and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshot below)

3. In the General tab, check (on - default) or uncheck (off) the Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties box for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshots below)

4. Select (dot) Apply changes to drive <letter>, subfolders and files, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshots below)

5. Click/tap on Continue to approve. (see screenshot below)

6. If prompted with an Error Applying Attributes, click/tap on Ignore All. (see screenshot below)

Note This error indicates that some files are currently in use, and cannot have the set content indexed attribute applied to them.

This usually happens on the Windows drive (CAllow File Contents and Properties to be Indexed on a Drive in Windows :).

7. Windows will now start applying attributes to the files. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jan 28, 2018
  2. Brink Win User
    Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  3. lethargos Win User
    understanding "Allow this file to have contents indexed in addition to file properties"

I would like to understand exactl what the "Allow this file to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" does. The first time I've heard of it was when I tried to fix the Outlook 2016 search and someone suggested on some site to check this
    on the .pst and .ost files. If I do that, then what would be the point of checking "Microsoft Outlook" in the index options? Can anyone explain to me the difference between the two? If both Microsoft Outlook is checked and "Allow this file to have contents
    indexed..." is checked in the properties window of the e-mail files, then should that mean that Windows indexes the e-mails twice?

lethargos, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Ramon Imp Win User

understanding "Allow this file to have contents indexed in addition to file properties"

Hi,

This option enables the search engine to look inside the files and index their contents. This allows you to search and to get results based on what might be inside a file. Without indexing the contents, you could only search for the file properties itself,
    like the name or the date it was created, but nothing inside.

Let us know if you have other questions.

Ramon Imp, Oct 26, 2019
  5. indexing of files

Hi,

Indexing helps you speed up file searches. However, if you would like to have it turned off, you may follow these steps:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Right-click on one of your system drives.
    • Select Properties.
    • On the General tab, uncheck Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties.
    • Click Apply > select where you want to apply the changes >
      OK

Feel free to post back should you need further assistance.

Rachelle Gra, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Mala_S Win User
    Excel 2016 and O365 Excel file contents do not index when saving to a network drive

Hello Jon Hof,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I would suggest you in Rebuilding Windows 10 Indexing Options by following the steps mentioned below:

• Open Indexing Options from
      Control panel.
    • Click on Modify and put a check mark on the required network drive and press
      OK.
    • Click on Advanced, select
      File types and select Index Properties and File contents. Click on
      OK.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking 'Yes or No'.

Mala.S

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Mala_S, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Allow File Contents and Properties to be Indexed on a Drive in Windows - Similar Threads - Allow File Contents

2. Windows 11 - Searching non-indexed locations for file contents - SOLUTION!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - Searching non-indexed locations for file contents - SOLUTION!: I discovered like so many others that searching for some keyword text in files in a non-indexed folder in Windows 11 DID NOT WORK.Lots of threads posted, lot's of suggested "solutions", lot's of frustrated Windows 11 users trying those "solutions/fixed" and still the...
  3. Windows 11 - Searching non-indexed locations for file contents - SOLUTION!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - Searching non-indexed locations for file contents - SOLUTION!: I discovered like so many others that searching for some keyword text in files in a non-indexed folder in Windows 11 DID NOT WORK.Lots of threads posted, lot's of suggested "solutions", lot's of frustrated Windows 11 users trying those "solutions/fixed" and still the...
  4. Search Index Not Consistently Indexing Contents

in Windows 10 Support
    Search Index Not Consistently Indexing Contents: Hello, I think I have hit the limit of my knowledge with an issue I'm hitting and figured I would share in case anyone has any insights! I'm currently running Windows 10.0.19042 on this machine. I am using the Windows Search Index in a powershell script in order to help with...
  5. I need Windows Indexing to index and search all contents

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    I need Windows Indexing to index and search all contents: I am running Windows 10 version 20H2, OS Build 19042.1052. I save emails and word documents that apply to projects in a folder for the given project. When I go to search on a keyword or phrase that I know appears in at least some of the documents and emails, I get nothing. I...
  6. File search indexing seems to NOT include contents

in Cortana
    File search indexing seems to NOT include contents: Hello, again, and thank you for reading my post. When I had a WindowsXP PC, it was pretty easy to search a folder and its subfolders, too based on the contents of the files therein such as by asking for a search based on a keyword or other text string. However, with my...
  7. Windows search does not look into the file contents of files with .properties extension

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows search does not look into the file contents of files with .properties extension: Recently upgraded to Windows 10 Enterprise post which windows search seems to be working intermittently. When searching for files, it only returns files which matches the file names, but file contents are not checked this is only for files with .properties extension. Have...
  8. Allow this file to have contents indexed in addition to file properties changing check...

in Cortana
    Allow this file to have contents indexed in addition to file properties changing check...: I have been having issues with search since last fall. I have worked with several IT folks affiliated with Microsoft, but no one has fixed it. They just chose to turn off indexing. So this is what I found.... Following some online recommendations, I opened up the data...
  9. Network Search: NO "Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed" checkbox

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Search: NO "Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed" checkbox: I cannot search my NAS device with Windows 10. This is absolutely critical as I have a research database located on that device, as well as built-in redundancy. I have my old Windows 7 computer still in service JUST to search the network. Every internal answer to "how to...
  10. Windows Search and - allow contents on this drive to be indexed

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Search and - allow contents on this drive to be indexed: If I disable the setting "allow contents on this drive to be indexed" does it impact the windows search feature? My C drive is an SSD. I have been having issues with windows explorer being very slow on all drive so been researching possible issues. I came across that I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. do you want to check allow files on this drive to have contents indexed

2. what does allow files on this drive contents indexed in addition to files properties do

3. drive properties missing allow index

4. allow file contents to be indexed