Windows 10: Allow or Deny Apps Access to File System in Windows 10

Discus and support Allow or Deny Apps Access to File System in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Allow or Deny Apps Access to File System in Windows 10 How to Allow or Deny Apps Access to File System in Windows 10 Starting with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Allow or Deny Apps Access to File System in Windows 10

How to: Allow or Deny Apps Access to File System in Windows 10

How to Allow or Deny Apps Access to File System in Windows 10

Starting with Windows 10 build 17093, you can now allow or deny apps access to the file system on your device (PC) for all users.

Starting with Windows 10 build 17101, Microsoft is giving you more control so you can now decide which UWP apps can access your full file system. Particular UWP apps will be granted permission to have broad file system access. This capability will be granted on a per app basis by Microsoft. If a UWP app has the broad file system access restricted capability, you will receive a consent dialog prompting you to accept or deny the request. If at any time you change your mind about the decision, you can go to Settings > Privacy where youll find a new Settings page for File System Access. On this page, you can turn access on or off globally, and if its on you can also turn it on or off for each app that has requested the capability. UWPs with broad file system access will not appear in the Photos, Videos, or Documents privacy settings pages. If you grant broad file system access, this includes Photos, Videos and Documents.

If you allow access, users on your PC will be able to turn on or off if their apps have access to all their files, including their documents, pictures, videos, and local OneDrive files. If you turn on to allow apps access to your file system, you can choose to turn on (allow) or off (deny) access for individual apps.

This tutorial will show you how to change Privacy settings to allow or deny apps access to the file system for all users or only your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Allow or Deny Apps Access to File System for All Users in Settings
    • Option Two: Allow or Deny Apps Access to File System for All Users using a REG file
    • Option Three: Turn On or Off Allow Apps Access to Your File System in Settings
    • Option Four: Turn On or Off Allow Apps Access to Your File System using a REG file
    • Option Five: Turn On or Off Allow Specific Apps Access to Your File System in Settings

OPTION ONE [/i] Allow or Deny Apps Access to File System for All Users in Settings

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do this option.
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Privacy icon.

2. Click/tap on File system on the left side, click/tap on the Change button on the right side, and turn On (default) or Off File system access for this device for what you want. (see screenshots below)

Allow or Deny Apps Access to File System in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] Allow or Deny Apps Access to File System for All Users using a REG file

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do this option.

The downloadable .reg files below will modify the string value in the registry key below.

Code:
    Value string value

Deny = Off
    Allow = On

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On Allow Windows and Apps Access to File System for All Users
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_ON_apps_acecss_to_file_system_for_device.reg

Download

3. To Turn Off Allow Windows and Apps Access to File System for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_OFF_apps_acecss_to_file_system_for_device.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Turn On or Off Allow Apps Access to Your File System in Settings

*note The setting in this option will be grayed out unless File system access for this device is turned on from Option One or Option Two above.

2. Click/tap on File system on the left side, turn On (default) or Off Allow apps to access your file system on the right side for what you want. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FOUR [/i] Turn On or Off Allow Apps Access to Your File System using a REG file

*note This option will not get applied until File system access for this device is turned on from Option One or Option Two above.

The downloadable .reg files below will modify the string value in the registry key below.

Code:
    Value string value

Deny = Off
    Allow = On

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On Allow Apps Access to Your File System
    NOTE: This is the default setting.

Turn_ON_apps_access_to_file_system_for_current_account.reg

Download

3. To Turn Off Allow Apps Access to Your File System

Turn_OFF_apps_access_to_file_system_for_current_account.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

OPTION FIVE [/i] Turn On or Off Allow Specific Apps Access to Your File System in Settings

*note The settings in this option will be grayed out unless Allow apps to access your file system is turned on from Option Three or Option Four above.

The settings for this option are stored in the subkeys in the registry key below. Each subkey represents a listed app.

Code:

2. Click/tap on File System on the left side, turn On or Off apps (if available) you want under Choose which apps can access your file system on the right side. (see screenshot below)

*note Note that each legacy app will not appear individually in the list like Store apps do, but they will respect the toggle.

That's it,
    Shawn

:)

Brink, Jan 8, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Preventing access to modern app

Ive been tasked with preventing the children from accessing instagram. I've got it listed in my windows hosts file and internet options/security/restricted site but the windows 10 app is still allowing access. Any suggestions other then deleting app which can just be reinstalled?

FrostyWinnipeg, Oct 27, 2019
  4. EsMj Win User

Change Folder Destination access Denied

Thanks.

After following the steps suggested, I get the message "Access denied" in command prompt.

Please advise how to allow permission.

5. DrPepper Win User
    Denied access to files

Ok I got a pc in from a friend and he wants me to fix it, it doesn't boot up properly so I was thinking reinstall windows but first I have to save all his songs and crap. First problem it denies me access to the files on his HDD when it is hooked up to my pc .... damn. Second problem is that it is a very, very old pc nforce 2 chipset and I can't ID the board so I can't get the drivers. It won't turn on so I can't check it that way any ideas.

DrPepper, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Protected Folder Access Denied Alert Message - Unable to Tell Which App Is Denied

Windows Defender Security in Windows 10 controls access by default to a bunch of protected folders. Anytime an app is prevented from changing or accessing some folder or setting, Windows gives a popup message. This message often abbreviates the name of the
    denied / blocked app. As a result, if you want to add an allowed app (this is also a feature) you can't read the full name of the app, usually a .exe file.

Is there a way to make Windows display the full app or file name so that I can add it to the "allowed" list?

starvinmarvin, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Allow or Deny Apps Access to File System in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Allow Deny Apps

2. Allow or Deny Apps Access to Use Voice Activation in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Allow or Deny Apps Access to Use Voice Activation in Windows 10: How to: Allow or Deny Apps Access to Use Voice Activation in Windows 10 How to Allow or Deny Apps Access to Use Voice Activation in Windows 10 Starting with Windows 10 May 2019 Update version 1903, a new voice activation privacy setting will let you choose whether apps...
  3. Allow or Deny OS and Apps Access to Messaging in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Allow or Deny OS and Apps Access to Messaging in Windows 10: How to: Allow or Deny OS and Apps Access to Messaging in Windows 10 How to Allow or Deny OS and Apps Access to Messaging in Windows 10 Windows 10 provides a wealth of data access to make apps useful and valuable to you. These capabilities, which are security constructs...
  4. Allow or Deny OS and Apps Access to Contacts in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Allow or Deny OS and Apps Access to Contacts in Windows 10: How to: Allow or Deny OS and Apps Access to Contacts in Windows 10 How to Allow or Deny OS and Apps Access to Contacts in Windows 10 Windows 10 provides a wealth of data access to make apps useful and valuable to you. These capabilities, which are security constructs...
  5. Allow or Deny OS and Apps Access to Microphone in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Allow or Deny OS and Apps Access to Microphone in Windows 10: How to: Allow or Deny OS and Apps Access to Microphone in Windows 10 How to Allow or Deny OS and Apps Access to Microphone in Windows 10 In Windows 10, having a camera and microphone as part of your device or system lets you make Skype video calls, take pictures, record...
  6. Allow or Deny OS and Apps Access to Documents Library in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Allow or Deny OS and Apps Access to Documents Library in Windows 10: How to: Allow or Deny OS and Apps Access to Documents Library in Windows 10 [img] Information Starting with Windows 10 build 17063, you can now allow or deny Windows 10 and apps access to the documents library on your device (PC) for all users. If you allow access,...
  7. Allow or Deny OS and Apps Access to Videos Library in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Allow or Deny OS and Apps Access to Videos Library in Windows 10: How to: Allow or Deny OS and Apps Access to Videos Library in Windows 10 [img] Information Starting with Windows 10 build 17063, you can now allow or deny Windows 10 and apps access to the videos library on your device (PC) for all users. If you allow access, users on...
  8. Allow or Deny OS and Apps Access to Calendar in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Allow or Deny OS and Apps Access to Calendar in Windows 10: How to: Allow or Deny OS and Apps Access to Calendar in Windows 10 How to Allow or Deny OS and Apps Access to Calendar in Windows 10 Windows 10 provides a wealth of data access to make apps useful and valuable to you. These capabilities, which are security constructs...
  9. Allow or Deny OS and Apps Access to Camera in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Allow or Deny OS and Apps Access to Camera in Windows 10: How to: Allow or Deny OS and Apps Access to Camera in Windows 10 How to Allow or Deny OS and Apps Access to Camera in Windows 10 In Windows 10, having a camera as part of your device or system lets you make Skype video calls, take pictures, etc. Many apps and services...
  10. Allow or Deny OS and Apps Access to Email in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Allow or Deny OS and Apps Access to Email in Windows 10: How to: Allow or Deny OS and Apps Access to Email in Windows 10 How to Allow or Deny OS and Apps Access to Email in Windows 10 Windows 10 provides a wealth of data access to make apps useful and valuable to you. These capabilities, which are security constructs that...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. special prompt Windows Security Alert to allow or deny the app from accessing the network