Windows 10: Allow or Prevent Changing Desktop Background in Windows 10

Discus and support Allow or Prevent Changing Desktop Background in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Allow or Prevent Changing Desktop Background in Windows 10 How to Allow or Prevent Changing Desktop Background in Windows 10 Your desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cliff S, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Cliff S New Member

Allow or Prevent Changing Desktop Background in Windows 10

How to: Allow or Prevent Changing Desktop Background in Windows 10

How to Allow or Prevent Changing Desktop Background in Windows 10

Your desktop background (also called wallpaper) can be a picture from your personal collection or included with Windows, a solid color, or a slideshow playing selected pictures randomly on all displays.

This tutorial will show you how to allow or prevent changing the desktop background for specific or all users in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to allow or prevent changing the desktop background.

You will need to activate Windows before you can personalize your PC.

Contents
    • Option One: To Allow or Prevent Changing Desktop Background in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: To Allow or Prevent Changing Desktop Background using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Desktop Background Settings when Prevented

Allow or Prevent Changing Desktop Background in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Allow or Prevent Changing Desktop Background in Local Group Policy Editor
    The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.

1 Open the all users except administrators Local Group Policy Editor for how you want this policy applied.

2 In the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor, click/tap on to expand User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Control Panel, and Personalization. (See screenshot below)

3 In the right pane of Personalization, double click/tap on Prevent changing desktop background to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4 Do step 5 (allow) or step 6 (prevent) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Allow Changing Desktop Background
    A) Select (dot) either Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Prevent Changing Desktop Background
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7 When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Allow or Prevent Changing Desktop Background using a REG file
    The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry keys below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop

NoChangingWallPaper DWORD

(delete) = Allow
    1 = Prevent

1 Do step 2 (allow) or step 3 (prevent) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Allow Changing Desktop Background for All Users
    This is the default setting.

A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Allow_changing_desktop_background.reg

Download

3. To Prevent Changing Desktop Background for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Prevent_changing_desktop_background.reg

Download
    4 Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5 Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6 When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7 You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Cliff S, Aug 6, 2017

2. Rotating photos on the screen

heck if Desktop slideshow is turned on

Well, the desktop slideshow feature will not work if it’s turned off. So it’s important to make sure that the feature is enabled under Settings.

To check the status of desktop slideshow feature:

Step 1: Right-click on the empty area of desktop, click Personalize, and then click Background.

Step 2: Under the Background section, make sure that Slideshow option is selected.

Allow slideshow when on battery

With default settings, Windows 10 doesn’t automatically change the desktop background picture when your PC is running on battery power to improve the backup time. In short, the desktop slideshow doesn’t work when the PC is using battery power.

However, you can configure Windows 10 to allow slideshow feature when on battery by following given below steps.

Step 1: Right-click on desktop, click Personalize, and then click Background.

Step 2: Turn on the option labelled Allow slideshow when on battery feature to force Windows 10 to automatically change the desktop background even if the PC is running on battery power.

Check the number of wallpapers in the selected folder

As you likely know, while enabling the desktop slideshow feature, Windows 10 asks you to select a folder containing pictures that you want to use for the slideshow feature.

If the slideshow is not working, make sure that the folder you selected has at least two pictures as Windows 10 can’t automatically change the desktop background if there is only one picture inside the selected folder.

Andre Da Costa, Aug 6, 2017
  3. How do I change the background colour on Windows 10?

I've just upgraded to Windows 10 and am having trouble on changing the background colour of my current desktop theme. It will allow me to change the entire theme in one go, however, I only wish to change the background colour and so was wondering if this
    is possible and how?

What's-my-name-again, Aug 6, 2017
  4. Allow or Prevent Changing Desktop Background in Windows 10

This policy is sort of funny, it prevent users from changing wallpaper using Windows settings, but users can use any other third party software, which can change a wallpaper, like an image viewer.

TairikuOkami, Aug 11, 2017
  5. aleks14 Win User
    aleks14, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Allow or Prevent Changing Desktop Background in Windows 10

1. Allow or Prevent Changing Desktop Background in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Allow Prevent Changing

2. Desktop background will not change.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop background will not change.: I cannot change my desktop background to anything but black I cannot add any pictures or desktop backgrounds I have checked settings themes and everything I could think of but I cannot find the problem please help*Moved from feedback....
  3. Windows 10 - Desktop Background Changes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 - Desktop Background Changes: Firstly, apologies if this has been answered elsewhere. I have tried to find an answer to this but the information available seems to to not provide much help.Microsoft Intune / Endpoint ManagerWithin here I have created my config profiles for my users, the one that i'm...
  4. Windows 10 - Desktop Background Changes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 - Desktop Background Changes: Firstly, apologies if this has been answered elsewhere. I have tried to find an answer to this but the information available seems to to not provide much help.Microsoft Intune / Endpoint ManagerWithin here I have created my config profiles for my users, the one that i'm...
  5. Windows 10 - Desktop Background Changes

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Windows Won't allow me to change my desktop background

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Won't allow me to change my desktop background: I own a Asus Rog Zephyrus m15 and I have Windows 10 installed obliviously. When I finished the setup it automatically changed my desktop background photo to what my old laptop had as a background which was a photo I took. The other day i wanted to change the desktop...
  7. Allow or Prevent Themes to Change Desktop Icons in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Allow or Prevent Themes to Change Desktop Icons in Windows 10: How to: Allow or Prevent Themes to Change Desktop Icons in Windows 10 How to Allow or Prevent Themes to Change Desktop Icons in Windows 10 Windows includes the common This PC, User's Files, Network, Recycle Bin, and Control Panel shortcuts that you can add or remove as...
  8. Allow or Prevent Changing Color and Appearance in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Allow or Prevent Changing Color and Appearance in Windows 10: How to: Allow or Prevent Changing Color and Appearance in Windows 10 How to Allow or Prevent Changing Color and Appearance in Windows 10 [img] Information Users can change their color and appearance settings in Windows 10 to choose an choose default app mode to light...
  9. Allow or Prevent User to Change Password in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Allow or Prevent User to Change Password in Windows 10: How to: Allow or Prevent User to Change Password in Windows 10 How to Allow or Prevent User to Change Password in Windows 10 [img] Information Windows includes a feature that allows you the administrator to prevent a user from being able to change their account...
  10. Change Desktop Background in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Desktop Background in Windows 10: How to: Change Desktop Background in Windows 10 How to Change your Desktop Background in Windows 10 Your desktop background (also called wallpaper) can be a picture from your personal collection or included with Windows, a solid color, or a slideshow playing selected...