Windows 10: Allow or Prevent Devices to Wake Computer in Windows 10

Discus and support Allow or Prevent Devices to Wake Computer in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Allow or Prevent Devices to Wake Computer in Windows 10 How to Allow or Prevent Devices to Wake Computer in Windows 10 This tutorial will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by desainkilang, May 2, 2017.

1. Allow or Prevent Devices to Wake Computer in Windows 10

How to: Allow or Prevent Devices to Wake Computer in Windows 10

How to Allow or Prevent Devices to Wake Computer in Windows 10

This tutorial will show you how to allow or prevent devices to wake your Windows 10 PC from a hibernate state.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to allow prevent devices to wake the computer.

Contents
    • Option One: To Allow or Prevent a Device to Wake Computer in Command Prompt
    • Option Two: To Allow or Prevent a Device to Wake Computer in Device Manager

OPTION ONE [/i] To Allow or Prevent a Device to Wake Computer in Command Prompt
    1 Open an elevated command prompt.

2 Do step 3 (allow) or step 4 (prevent) below for what you would like to do.

3 To Allow Device to Wake the Computer
    A) Type the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

This will give you a list of all devices that support waking the computer from any sleep state.

Make note of the device name (ex: "HID Keyboard Device") you want to allow to wake the computer.

powercfg -devicequery wake_from_any

Allow or Prevent Devices to Wake Computer in Windows 10 [​IMG]

B) Type the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter. You can close the command prompt when finished. (see screenshot below)
    powercfg -deviceenablewake "Device Name"

Substitute Device Name in the command above with the actual name of the device.

For example: powercfg -deviceenablewake "HID Keyboard Device"

4 To Prevent Device to Wake the Computer
    A) Type the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

This will give you a list of all devices that are able to wake the computer.

Make note of the device name (ex: "HID Keyboard Device") you want to prevent to wake the computer.

powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

B) Type the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter. You can close the command prompt when finished. (see screenshot below)
    powercfg -devicedisablewake "Device Name"

Substitute Device Name in the command above with the actual name of the device.

For example: powercfg -devicedisablewake "HID Keyboard Device"

OPTION TWO [/i] To Allow or Prevent a Device to Wake Computer in Device Manager
    1 Open Device Manager (devmgmt.msc).

2 Expand open the device category (ex: Keyboards), and double click/tap on the device (ex: "HID Keyboard Device") that you want to allow or prevent to wake the computer. (see screenshot below)

3 Check or uncheck the Allow this device to wake the computer box for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

4 When finished, you can close Device Manager if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

desainkilang, May 2, 2017
  2. CraigLong Win User

Limit times keyboard wakes PC from hibernate Win10

Perhaps you would like to set the PC so that these devices cannot wake the computer.

See option #2:

Allow or Prevent Devices to Wake Computer in Windows 10

Then just use the power button to wake the PC. Or only allow the mouse to wake the computer. But being that it's your cat, allowing a mouse to wake a PC may not be a good option.

CraigLong, May 2, 2017
  3. A computer shut down starts up on its own

Sometime HID devices will wake the computer when needed for certain tasks. This can be the network adapter or maybe a peripheral device. Here is an article that explains this and how to search and disable such devices. I personally would use this article
    to open the device manager right click on your network adapter and go to properties, click on the power management tab and make sure to check "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" and uncheck "Allow this device to wake the computer"

https://consumingtech.com/allow-prevent-devices...

MikeSnyder61704, May 2, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello @desainkilang, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Double check your BIOS/UEFI power settings to see if you may have a setting to enable for a "Boot from keyboard" type setting.

In addition, you might see if you may be able to use Option One to enable waking with the keyboard.

Brink, May 2, 2017
  5. unfortunately, my bios laptop have not "Boot from keyboard" type setting and if I try to type command as an Admin : powercfg -deviceenablewake "HID Keyboard Device" , respon : You do not have permission to enable or disable device wake

6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, May 2, 2017
  7. only a wireless mouse and power button

8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, May 2, 2017
  9. is it right Mr. Brink ?

10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, May 2, 2017
  11. Allow or Prevent Devices to Wake Computer in Windows 10 [​IMG]

still this ... You do not have permission.....

12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Changing this for the keyboard doesn't appear to be supported by your system.

Usually, you are able to wake by keyboard by default. Are you able to despite not being able to change this setting?

If not, do you have the latest drivers installed for your Asus laptop?

Brink, May 2, 2017
  13. Allow or Prevent Devices to Wake Computer in Windows 10

what latest driver must I have ? Intel chipset driver or BIOS driver ?

desainkilang, May 3, 2017
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Usually it would be best to have the latest driver version for all devices.

Brink, May 3, 2017
  15. my BIOS and Asus driver already up to date

desainkilang, May 3, 2017
Thema:

1. Allow or Prevent Devices to Wake Computer in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Allow Prevent Devices

2. USB mouse wakes laptop, 'Allow this device to wake the computer' is unchecked

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    USB mouse wakes laptop, 'Allow this device to wake the computer' is unchecked: My Windows 10 laptop is being woken from sleep by a USB mouse. When the mouse is not plugged in, my computer doesn't wake from sleep unexpectedly.When plugged in, the mouse has two entries in the Device Manager called 'HID-compliant mouse'. I have unchecked the 'Allow this...
  3. How to prevent USB Composite Device from waking up the computer

How to prevent USB Composite Device from waking up the computer: I'm having trouble with a certain USB Composite Device waking up my computer when I don't want it to wake up. I have tried all tutorials that I found with Google but none of them solved the problem. Below is a screenshot that should contain all the relevant info. I would...
  4. Windows forgets “Allow This Device to Wake the Computer” tick

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows forgets “Allow This Device to Wake the Computer” tick: I want my mouse to wake up my pc but whenever I tick the “Allow This Device to Wake the Computer” box and restart my PC, the setting is reset. Please help! submitted by /u/Framed_Previz90 [link] [comments]...
  5. How to prevent waking from Hibernation but allow waking from Sleep

How to prevent waking from Hibernation but allow waking from Sleep: In Windows 10 version 1909, how do I prevent waking from Hibernation but allow waking from Sleep? I don't want my PC to wake from mouse and keyboard movements, but I am maybe okay for it to wake to install updates but if it does this, I'd like it to put itself back into...
  6. Allow mouse or keyboard to wake computer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Allow mouse or keyboard to wake computer: I'm using Windows 10 Pro on my laptop, which is connected to an external monitor. After starting my laptop, the lid is closed. When I step away from the computer for an hour or so, it goes to sleep and the monitor screen is blank. When I return, I should be able to press...
  7. Cannot Disable the "Allow device to wake computer" !!! -- Windows 10

Cannot Disable the "Allow device to wake computer" !!! -- Windows 10: Just to preface... This was working for me just fine for the last 3 years, until I recently got a new desk and had my computer unplugged for a few days. I am using the Razer Chroma mouse and keyboard with the latest Razer firmware... I have gone into the Device Manage and...
  8. How to universally prevent all devices from waking Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to universally prevent all devices from waking Windows 10?: Hello, I'm a fairly advanced Windows user, but, I'm having difficulty figuring out if there's an in-built way to do this, or if someone out there has already found a registry hack or something to allow it. I have a lot of USB devices, and several computers. Each...
  9. See Devices able to Wake Computer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    See Devices able to Wake Computer in Windows 10: How to: See Devices able to Wake Computer in Windows 10 How to See Devices that are able to Wake Computer in Windows 10 [img] Information This tutorial will show you how to see a list of installed devices that are able to wake your Windows 10 PC from a hibernate...
  10. Prevent Win10 from waking device?

in Windows 10 Support
    Prevent Win10 from waking device?: Hello, all device i updated to 10 (anniversary edition) wake from sleep by themselves & i'm not sure why. I checked events history but couldn't identify. Certainly related to (windows) update. How do i stop this? Thank you! 60731

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 you do not have permission to wake from sleep

2. allow this device to wake the computer win 10