Windows 10: Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Change Time in Windows 10

Discus and support Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Change Time in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Change Time in Windows 10 How to Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Change Time in Windows 10 Your... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Change Time in Windows 10

How to: Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Change Time in Windows 10

How to Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Change Time in Windows 10

Your PC's system clock is used to record the time whenever you create or modify files on your PC.

Time is a measure in which events can be ordered from the past through the present into the future, and also the measure of durations of events and the intervals between them.

Each group in Windows has its own default rights and permissions. When a user is a member of a group, the user will be assigned the rights and permissions of the group.

By default, only members of the Administrators group are able to change the system time in Windows 10.

See also: Change the system time - security policy setting (Windows 10) | Microsoft Docs

This tutorial will show you how to allow or prevent specific users and groups from being able to change the system time in Windows 10.

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to allow or prevent users and groups from changing the system time.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Allow Users and Groups to Change Time in Local Security Policy
    • Option Two: To Prevent Users and Groups to Change Time in Local Security Policy
    • Option Three: To Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Change Time in Command Prompt

OPTION ONE [/i] To Allow Users and Groups to Change Time in Local Security Policy
    *note Local Security Policy is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Three below.

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type secpol.msc into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Local Security Policy.

2. Expand open Local Policies in the left pane of Local Security Policy, click/tap on User Rights Assignment, and double click/tap on the Change the system time policy in the right pane. (see screenshot below)

Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Change Time in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Click/tap on the Add User or Group button. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on the Object Types button. (see screenshot below)

5. Check all the boxes for Object types, and click/tap on the OK. (see screenshot below)

6. Click/tap on the Advanced button. (see screenshot below)

7. Click/tap on the Find Now button, select the name of the user or group (ex: "Everyone") you want to add, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

Note If you like, you can press and hold the Ctrl key to select more than one user and/or group.

8. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

9. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

10. When finished, you can close Local Users and Groups if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Prevent Users and Groups to Change Time in Local Security Policy

Note Local Security Policy is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Three below.

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type secpol.msc into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Local Security Policy.

2. Expand open Local Policies in the left pane of Local Security Policy, click/tap on User Rights Assignment, and double click/tap on the Change the system time policy in the right pane. (see screenshot below)

3. Select the user or group (ex: "Everyone") you want to remove, and click/tap on the Remove button. (see screenshot below)

*note If you like, you can press and hold the Ctrl key to select more than one user and/or group.

*Warning Do not remove LOCAL SERVICE since this is used by Windows.

4. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

5. When finished, you can close Local Users and Groups if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Change Time in Command Prompt
    1. If you haven't already, you will need to do the following below before continuing on to step 2 below.
    A) Download the ntrights.exe file below from the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools.
    Download
    B) Save the ntrights.zip file to your desktop, and unblock it.

C) Open the ntrights.zip file, copy or move the ntrights.exe file into your C:\Windows\System32 folder, and click/tap on Continue to approve.
    2. Open an elevated command prompt.

3. Type the command you want below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshots below)
    (Add user or group)
    *Arrow ntrights +r SeSystemtimePrivilege -u "User or Group"

OR

(Remove user or group)
    *Arrow ntrights -r SeSystemtimePrivilege -u "User or Group"

*note Substitute User or Group in the command above with the actual name of the user or group (ex: "Everyone") you want to add or remove for this policy.

For example: ntrights +r SeSystemtimePrivilege -u "Everyone"

*Warning Do not remove LOCAL SERVICE since this is used by Windows.

4. When finished, you can close the elevated command prompt if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Dec 20, 2017

2. Standard user allow to change time

Hi,

OS is windows 10

Have an Administrator user and a standard user. Adm no problem

Standard cannot do it, option is not available (To change date/time)

In previous Windows (7, 8), local security policy was not listed, to fix it I used "GPEDIT", then go to security policy and set to allow change date/time.

I do not know if I can do that in this Windows 10 or there is another way

I need help on that

JorgeP1958, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    Show Local users and Groups

Hello Frank, and welcome to Ten Forums. Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Change Time in Windows 10 :)

If you have the Windows 10 Home edition, then it will not have Local Users and Groups (lusrmgr.msc) included in it. It's only available in the Pro and Enterprise editions instead.

If you like, you could use step 3 in OPTION THREE of the tutorial below list users in a group.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6...a.html#option4

Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Son setting the clock back to overcome screen time restrictions

Since you are running Windows 10 Pro, you can stop your son changing the time in Group Policy

Click HERE for a step by step guide on how to do this . . .

DaveM121, Oct 26, 2019
  5. hooked Win User
    Show Local users and Groups

Hey Brink, I was just looking at groups in netplwiz today and I noticed that my user account is just in the Admin group now, it used to be in Users and Admin. I have home, so I can't change it. I don't know how it changed. I guess there's nothing I can do about it. Will it be a problem?
    I'm tempted to downgrade to my 8.1 pro and go to 10 pro.

hooked, Oct 26, 2019
  6. TIME CHANGE AS IF YOU HAD NOT HEARD ABOUT WHERE IS THE FIX

Hi Daphne,

It seems that this is a common behavior in Windows 10 computers that are part of a domain or organization. When joining a domain, there can be changes made in the Group Policy causing some certain settings to be greyed out. Have you tried changing the time
    through Control Panel? It might be a simple solution but it is something that some users miss out. Having said that, it is still something that I suggest you check out.

Here's how

• Go to Control Panel > Date and Time.
    • Click Change date and time... and then pick the correct date and time.
    • Click OK.

Another thing to try is to assign user permissions to change the date and time through Group Policy Editor.

Here are the steps:

• Press Windows+R, and then enter gpedit.msc.
    • Navigate to Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\User Rights Assignment.
    • Assign users to Group Policy Settings Change the system time and
      Change the time zone.

Let us know how it turns out.

Patricia Yu, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Change Time in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Allow Prevent Users

2. Prevent Users from changing the Date and Time in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Prevent Users from changing the Date and Time in Windows 10: [ATTACH] Most of the time Windows users are able to change the date, and time, especially in a single user scenario where it has administrative privileges. That said if you have a case where you are an Administrator, and you don’t [...] This post Prevent Users from changing...
  3. Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Create a Pagefile in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Create a Pagefile in Windows 10: How to: Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Create a Pagefile in Windows 10 How to Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Create a Pagefile in Windows 10 Paging is a memory management scheme by which a PC stores and retrieves data from secondary storage for use in main...
  4. Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Log on with Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Log on with Remote Desktop: How to: Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Log on with Remote Desktop How to Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Log on with Remote Desktop in Windows 10 You can use the Remote Desktop Connection (mstsc.exe) or connect to and control your Windows 10 PC from a remote...
  5. Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Sign in Locally to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Sign in Locally to Windows 10: How to: Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Sign in Locally to Windows 10 How to Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Sign in Locally to Windows 10 By default, you need to dismiss the sign in to Windows 10 with your account. By default, Users, Guests, Backup...
  6. Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Change Time Zone in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Change Time Zone in Windows 10: How to: Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Change Time Zone in Windows 10 How to Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Change Time Zone in Windows 10 Your PC's clock is used to record the time whenever you create or modify files on your PC. You can change the clock's...
  7. Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Shut down System in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Shut down System in Windows 10: How to: Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Shut down System in Windows 10 How to Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Shut down System in Windows 10 If you don't plan to use your PC for a while, then you could fast startup. Each group in Windows has its own default...
  8. Allow or Prevent Users to Change or Save a Theme in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Allow or Prevent Users to Change or Save a Theme in Windows 10: How to: Allow or Prevent Users to Change or Save a Theme in Windows 10 How to Allow or Prevent Users to Change or Save a Theme in Windows 10 In Windows, you can use themes to help make your desktop feel a little more personal. Themes change the change a theme as often...
  9. Allow or Prevent User to Change Password in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Allow or Prevent User to Change Password in Windows 10: How to: Allow or Prevent User to Change Password in Windows 10 How to Allow or Prevent User to Change Password in Windows 10 [img] Information Windows includes a feature that allows you the administrator to prevent a user from being able to change their account...
  10. Allow or Prevent Changing Desktop Background in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Allow or Prevent Changing Desktop Background in Windows 10: How to: Allow or Prevent Changing Desktop Background in Windows 10 How to Allow or Prevent Changing Desktop Background in Windows 10 Your desktop background (also called wallpaper) can be a picture from your personal collection or included with Windows, a solid color,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. group policy allow users to change resolution