Windows 10: Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Sign in Locally to Windows 10

Discus and support Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Sign in Locally to Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Sign in Locally to Windows 10 How to Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Sign in Locally to Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Sign in Locally to Windows 10

How to: Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Sign in Locally to Windows 10

How to Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Sign in Locally to Windows 10

By default, you need to dismiss the sign in to Windows 10 with your account.

By default, Users, Guests, Backup Operators, and Administrators are able to sign in locally to Windows 10.

See also: Allow log on locally - security policy setting (Windows 10) | Microsoft Docs

This tutorial will show you how to allow or prevent specific users and groups from being able to sign in (log on) locally to a Windows 10 PC.

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to allow or prevent users and groups to sign in locally.

*Warning Only allowed users and groups will be able to sign in locally to Windows 10. The Deny log on locally policy will override this Allow log on locally policy.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Allow Users and Groups to Sign in Locally in Local Security Policy
    • Option Two: Prevent Users and Groups to Sign in Locally in Local Security Policy
    • Option Three: Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Sign in Locally in Command Prompt

EXAMPLE: "The sign in method you're trying to use isn't allowed. For more info, contact your network administrator." message when a user or group is not allowed to sign in locally

Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Sign in Locally to Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Allow Users and Groups to Sign in Locally in Local Security Policy
    *note Local Security Policy is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Three below.

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type secpol.msc into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Local Security Policy.

2. Expand open Local Policies in the left pane of Local Security Policy, click/tap on User Rights Assignment, and double click/tap on the Allow log on locally policy in the right pane. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on the Add User or Group button. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on the Advanced button. (see screenshot below)

5. Click/tap on the Object Types button. (see screenshot below)

6. Check all the boxes for Object types, and click/tap on the OK. (see screenshot below)

7. Click/tap on the Find Now button, select the name of the user or group (ex: "Guests") you want to add, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshots below)

*tip If you like, you can press and hold the Ctrl key to select more than one user and/or group.

8. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

9. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

10. When finished, you can close Local Users and Groups if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Prevent Users and Groups to Sign in Locally in Local Security Policy
    *note Local Security Policy is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Three below.

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type secpol.msc into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Local Security Policy.

2. Expand open Local Policies in the left pane of Local Security Policy, click/tap on User Rights Assignment, and double click/tap on the Allow log on locally policy in the right pane. (see screenshot below)

3. Select the user or group (ex: "Guest") you want to remove, and click/tap on the Remove button. (see screenshot below)

*tip If you like, you can press and hold the Ctrl key to select more than one user and/or group.

4. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

5. When finished, you can close Local Users and Groups if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Sign in Locally in Command Prompt
    1. If you haven't already, you will need to do the following below before continuing on to step 2 below.
    A) Download the ntrights.exe file below from the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools.
    Download
    B) Save the ntrights.zip file to your desktop, and unblock it.

C) Open the ntrights.zip file, copy or move the ntrights.exe file into your C:\Windows\System32 folder, and click/tap on Continue to approve.
    2. Open an elevated command prompt.

3. Type the command you want below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter.
    (Add user or group to allow)
    *Arrow ntrights +r SeInteractiveLogonRight -u "User or Group"

OR

(Remove user or group to prevent)
    *Arrow ntrights -r SeInteractiveLogonRight -u "User or Group"

*note Substitute User or Group in the command above with the actual name of the user or group (ex: "Guests) you want to add or remove for this policy.

For example: ntrights +r SeInteractiveLogonRight -u "Guests"

4. When finished, you can close the elevated command prompt if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jun 10, 2018
  2. Brink Win User

Show Local users and Groups

Hello Frank, and welcome to Ten Forums. Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Sign in Locally to Windows 10 :)

If you have the Windows 10 Home edition, then it will not have Local Users and Groups (lusrmgr.msc) included in it. It's only available in the Pro and Enterprise editions instead.

If you like, you could use step 3 in OPTION THREE of the tutorial below list users in a group.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6...a.html#option4

Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  3. hooked Win User

Hey Brink, I was just looking at groups in netplwiz today and I noticed that my user account is just in the Admin group now, it used to be in Users and Admin. I have home, so I can't change it. I don't know how it changed. I guess there's nothing I can do about it. Will it be a problem?
    I'm tempted to downgrade to my 8.1 pro and go to 10 pro.

hooked, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Sign in Locally to Windows 10

Sign-in method not allowed

Hi,

This issue may happen if you're signing in to a computer using non administrator ID.
    In order for us to efficiently you, we just have few questions for you:

• Were there any changes made to your computer prior to the issue?
    • Is your computer connected to a domain?
    • Have you checked the Group Policy if the "Allow log on locally" was setup to allow users or domain users?
    Regards.

Darian Tab, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Frank C Win User

Hello,
    I want to get a list of Local Users and Groups as shown in the first screen shot (taken from the Web).
    When I run Computer Management as administrator that information is not available under
    Computer Management > System Tools (second screen shot - my computer)
    How can I get this information?

Thanks

Frank C, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Sign in Locally to Windows 10

1. Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Sign in Locally to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Allow Prevent Users

2. Local groups not visible in Local Users and Groups MMC.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Local groups not visible in Local Users and Groups MMC.: I tried to remove one built in account from SAM database in Windows Server 2022. After that, the built in account got removed, but in local users and groups mmc, I am not able to see local groups. However, all local groups are present. I am able to see the local users, but...
  3. Local groups not visible in Local Users and Groups MMC.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Local groups not visible in Local Users and Groups MMC.: I tried to remove one built in account from SAM database in Windows Server 2022. After that, the built in account got removed, but in local users and groups mmc, I am not able to see local groups. However, all local groups are present. I am able to see the local users, but...
  4. Local Users and Groups

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Local Users and Groups: I am trying to sort my old laptop for my son to use. I am trying to add a new user so that can be his profile. Local Users and Groups appears to be missing from the settings and I cannot find a way to restore it. Furthermore, the only admin account on the computer is my...
  5. Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Create a Pagefile in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Create a Pagefile in Windows 10: How to: Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Create a Pagefile in Windows 10 How to Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Create a Pagefile in Windows 10 Paging is a memory management scheme by which a PC stores and retrieves data from secondary storage for use in main...
  6. Deny Users and Groups to Sign in Locally to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Deny Users and Groups to Sign in Locally to Windows 10: How to: Deny Users and Groups to Sign in Locally to Windows 10 How to Deny Users and Groups to Sign in Locally to Windows 10 By default, you need to dismiss the sign in to Windows 10 with your account. By default, the Guest account is denied to sign in locally to...
  7. Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Log on with Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Log on with Remote Desktop: How to: Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Log on with Remote Desktop How to Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Log on with Remote Desktop in Windows 10 You can use the Remote Desktop Connection (mstsc.exe) or connect to and control your Windows 10 PC from a remote...
  8. Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Change Time Zone in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Change Time Zone in Windows 10: How to: Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Change Time Zone in Windows 10 How to Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Change Time Zone in Windows 10 Your PC's clock is used to record the time whenever you create or modify files on your PC. You can change the clock's...
  9. Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Shut down System in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Shut down System in Windows 10: How to: Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Shut down System in Windows 10 How to Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Shut down System in Windows 10 If you don't plan to use your PC for a while, then you could fast startup. Each group in Windows has its own default...
  10. Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Change Time in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Change Time in Windows 10: How to: Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Change Time in Windows 10 How to Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Change Time in Windows 10 Your PC's system clock is used to record the time whenever you create or modify files on your PC. Time is a measure in which...