Windows 10: Allow write access to C:/ root

Discus and support Allow write access to C:/ root in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Even though I am administrator on my PC, I do not have write access to C:/. (Win 10 Pro) Has anyone else had this problem, or does anyone know of a... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by richrd gale, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Allow write access to C:/ root

Even though I am administrator on my PC, I do not have write access to C:/. (Win 10 Pro)

Has anyone else had this problem, or does anyone know of a fix?

Thanks

:)

richrd gale, Jul 30, 2015
  2. Mary Sau Win User

Windows 10 - Unable to write to root C:\ or launch Metro app (after reset) + other problems

Hi,

To help you resolve the issue, we suggest that you create a new user account in Windows 10.

You can follow the steps below to create a new user account:

1. Right click on Start and choose Command Prompt (Admin).

2. In the command prompt window, type net user test /add (you can replace "add" with your name),
    press Enter and close the window.

3. Switch back to your original account. Then, go to Start -> Settings -> Accounts -> Other people ->
    Choose the new user account you've created -> Change account type,
    choose Administrator, and hit OK.

4. Sign out of your current user account, then sign into the new user account you created.

Check if you are able to open Windows store apps and if you're still getting the error messages. If not, then the possible reason why you're getting those error messages is because the other system files associated to your original user profile are missing/corrupted.
    In this case, you can move all your personal files from your old user account to the new account you've created then delete the other profile afterwards.

If the issue still persists in the new account, then we highly recommend that you perform a reset to your PC that will
    remove everything and reinstall Windows. Therefore, before doing the reset, please do a backup of your personal files. Kindly check this
    link
    for the instructions to reset your PC.

We look forward to your response.

Mary Sau, Jul 30, 2015
  3. Mary Sau Win User
    Windows 10 - Unable to write to root C:\ or launch Metro app (after reset) + other problems

You don't need to create another administrator account. You can change the
    account type of the test account you've created to administrator. The test account should not have the same issue, even after switching it to an administrator type of account. The original administrator account is actually
    not having any issue at all. The built-in administrator is simply not allowed to open any Windows Store type of application. The user-created administrator on the other hand, is different. It will not be restricted of any access to Windows Store type of application.

Let us change your account type to Administrator by following the steps I previously provided. Let me indicate these steps below:

1. Go to Start -> Settings -> Accounts -> Other people.

2. Choose the new user account you've created -> Change account type,
    choose Administrator, and hit OK.

The application you have is not required to be transferred from the old user account to the new one. they should all be accessible from the new user account.

To transfer your user data from the old user account, please follow these steps:

1. In the Administrator account that is having an issue, go to the File Explorer ->
    This PC -> Local Disk (CAllow write access to C:/ root :).

2. Select Users ->Double-click the folder that you want to move the data to the new user account -> press
    Ctrl A to highlight all the files, right click and select
    copy
    , then paste all the files you copied to the new account which you have created.

What are you using to encrypt your files and how are you going about doing so?

Regards.

Mary Sau, Jul 30, 2015
Thema:

Allow write access to C:/ root

1. Allow write access to C:/ root - Similar Threads - Allow write access

2. shortcuts in the root of C: drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    shortcuts in the root of C: drive: Hi,i noticed that i have two shortcuts showing upp in the root of C: drive on all the computers that we have 1500. a shortcut for Program and one for documents and settings. they show up after the re-image is finalized. we use SCCM latest branch any ideas where these two...
  3. shortcuts in the root of C: drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    shortcuts in the root of C: drive: Hi,i noticed that i have two shortcuts showing upp in the root of C: drive on all the computers that we have 1500. a shortcut for Program and one for documents and settings. they show up after the re-image is finalized. we use SCCM latest branch any ideas where these two...
  4. shortcuts in the root of C: drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. No write access to C:\Program Files?

No write access to C:\Program Files?: First of all, only people who really know I reinstalled Windows 2004 a week or so ago because I changed the SSD. All worked great as always. At some point I wanted to install a few programs and then I got a message that no matter which program I installed, the rights for...
  6. Here it is again. Can't write to Root of C: drive.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Here it is again. Can't write to Root of C: drive.: [ATTACH] Tried to edit an .inf file. [ATTACH] Tried to save an MS Word file Root C: [ATTACH] Similar with MS Excel. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/here-it-is-again-cant-write-to-root-of-c-drive/022edb99-ee18-41ff-b808-a4950c0a5665
  7. Writing to the root ... C:\

Writing to the root ... C:\: Every time I turn around, I'm not able to save files to the root of C drive. Can someone tell me how to fix this problem once and for all time? I don't care that some people feel as though I shouldn't be writing there. I have times when I need to edit files there or I just...
  8. Windows Security. Allow user access only to subfolder and not root

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Security. Allow user access only to subfolder and not root: I've tried to search about this there and here, but hadn't found a solution. SITUATION I have a following folders structure: root ----|A ----|B --------|B1 --------|B2 ----|C I need to give permission for user to access only folder B2 and deny access to any root...
  9. Still Cannot Access Root Drive ( C:\ )

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Still Cannot Access Root Drive ( C:\ ): I need to copy a file into my Windows 10 root drive (C:\). I cannot and get Error 0x80070522. - Found a tool which I really don't want to use since it is for folders and sub-folders. - Turned off User Account Control setting is set to the lowest. - I don't have HomeUsers...
  10. $xxx Folders in Root of C:

in Windows 10 Support
    $xxx Folders in Root of C:: I was under the impression that these folders would go away or can be deleted, BUT !! Has been some time from 1511 build was installed. C:\ $Windows -W " - BT C:\ $sysreset Still have .log and .xml from 12/26/2015 in them ( not the date of the last Windows Update) I...