Windows 10: Almost FORCED to upgrade 7 to 10 ??? NO!!! Help me stop this!!!

Discus and support Almost FORCED to upgrade 7 to 10 ??? NO!!! Help me stop this!!! in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; In my Win 7 Pro 64-bit, I just saw the following entry in Windows Logs - System: "Installation Ready: The following updates are downloaded and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by glnz, Aug 29, 2015.

1. glnz Win User

Almost FORCED to upgrade 7 to 10 ??? NO!!! Help me stop this!!!

In my Win 7 Pro 64-bit, I just saw the following entry in Windows Logs - System:

No !!! Don't want to leave Win 7 !!!

So I immediately went to my Installed Updates and UNinstalled the only recent update, which was Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3077715), which was supposed to be only "August 2015 cumulative time zone update for Windows operating systems". Well, maybe it was, and something else triggered the Win 10 upgrade entry??

I am now past the 5:32pm upgrade time and it hasn't happened yet, but I'm scared!! What should I do to prevent the upgrade ???

Help! It's prowling around upstairs and I need help!!

PS - My PC is currently dual-booting Win 7 (which I want to save from this monster) and Win 10 (because I upgraded my 8.1 to 10), of course with different partitions on the hard drive. Is it something about the dual-booting with 10 that is infecting my 7?

:)

2. John_890 Win User

Dear God, please help me get rid of this Windows 10 harassment. This is such a draining time sink.

I don't want Windows 10 but Microsoft is forcing itself on me. I went to How to remove the Windows 10 GWX upgrade nonsense and followed the instructions but, lo and behold, these snakes still manage to try and force this "update"
    on me. When the prompt comes up to upgrade it cannot be closed, it cannot be forced shut with task manager. It is here to stay.

Microsoft, I will not let you **** my machine. "No" means NO. Your operating systems are getting progressively worse (though, admittedly, 8.1 seemed to be the low point and not 10). Regardless, leave my innocent Windows 7 alone. I paid for 7, I will
    keep 7. I already unwittingly installed 10 once and reverted with a system restore (disclaimer: "I" did not install anything, Microsoft was kind enough to install it for me without permission)

I will fight this tooth and nail, anyone with suggestions leading to the deactivation of this nonsense is immediately my best friend.

John_890, Aug 29, 2015
  3. Microsoft, stop pushing me into Windows 10

Oh yes it is. My sister was forced into it when her laptop decided to do an update. That update took her from 7 to 10 and she NEVER volunteered. Now it's too late.

HannTheftAudio, Aug 29, 2015
  4. XweAponX Win User

You can delete the system folders that contain the installer, that'll stop it. They are off your C drive, they look like left-over folders from an update. Delete all folders that start with $WINDOWS, there should be two folders.

XweAponX, Aug 29, 2015
  5. glnz Win User
    XweAponX - You are right! But I have only one $Windows folder, with the name "$Windows.~BT" It was created at 5:33pm, very close to the threatened 5:32pm. The stuff inside sort of looks like it's the upgrade.

So, should I delete it, or rename it to "Almost killed me"?

And where's the other one?

Many thanks!

6. Joergi Win User
    Generally, you should stop doing things, of which you do not really know, what they actually do. *Wink

You should now do the following:
    - Install the timezone fix again.
    - If you want to disable the download of the upgrade, you can follow this guide: How to stop the Windows 10 Upgrade from downloading on your system | Windows 10 content from SuperSite for Windows The according upgrade is KB3035583
    - If you want to disable the upgrade notifications, you can folow this guide: Disabling the Windows 10 Upgrade Notification | Windows 10 content from SuperSite for Windows

Joergi, Aug 29, 2015
  7. glnz Win User
    Joergi - Thanks, but KB3035583 is NOT installed and is not showing anywhere. It is also NOT in my hidden list.

So today's new Windows Logs - System notation that there would be an upgrade was a big surprise. I would not have found it except that I was going through all Event Viewer-type entries to see if I'd managed to clean up my Win 7 OS enough to really start using it.

Also, I did a search for GWX and have only a Log entry from a while back - no active GWX folders or files.

Since I don't have KB3035583, should I follow XweAponX's suggestion and delete that $Windows.~BT folder?

8. Almost FORCED to upgrade 7 to 10 ??? NO!!! Help me stop this!!!

Mark Phelps, Aug 29, 2015
  9. glnz Win User
  10. AddRAM Win User
    I have been posting the list of updates not to install if you do not Windows 10, at Sevenforums.com, it`s on my Windows 7 drive (unplugged right now) I`m sure others will list the updates that have to be uninstalled, then when they pop up again in windows update, you have to right click on each update and hide it, we have been going over this for nearly a year now.

Or you can browse Sevenforums to find a thread with the list, Good Luck *Smile

If the above advice worked, then don`t worry about it.

Also, there is nothing infecting your 7 install, you yourself had to install the Windows 10 updates and started the process, it does not do it by itself.

AddRAM, Aug 29, 2015
  11. Here are the updates to remove/hide in both Windows 7 and 8/8.1:

Source: http://www.ghacks.net/2015/04/17/how...ndows-7-and-8/

Those are the only ones you need to get rid of, I've seen much longer lists but when you actually examine the updates they aren't just Windows 10 related and have other features/fixes that might be relevant for your system.

xtcrefugee, Aug 29, 2015
  12. glnz Win User
    xtcrefugee - Did NOT have kb 3035583, but I had kb2952664 and just now uninstalled it. Good list - thanks.

EDIT - PROBLEM - kb2952664 has now re-installed itself twice on bootup. And I've set Windows Update to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them".

Even worse, KB2952664 is already in my "hidden" list.

How can I stop this?

13. glnz Win User

PROBLEM - kb2952664 has now re-installed itself twice on bootup. And I've set Windows Update to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them".

Even worse, KB2952664 is already in my "hidden" list.

How can I stop this?

14. glnz Win User
    OK - on the fourth try, with a Safe Boot in the middle, it did not reinstall itself. But I now have Windows Updates restricted as noted above AND I selected NOT to get updates for Microsoft products. Wow.

15. I should have mentioned, KB2952664 is actually on Windows Update twice, once as a recommended update and once as an optional one. You need to uninstall and hide them both.

xtcrefugee, Aug 29, 2015
Thema:

1. Almost FORCED to upgrade 7 to 10 ??? NO!!! Help me stop this!!! - Similar Threads - Almost FORCED upgrade

2. STOP FORCING ME TO CHANGE MY PASSWORD

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    STOP FORCING ME TO CHANGE MY PASSWORD: I DO NOT WANT TO CHANGE THE **** PASSWORD THAT I'VE ALREADY SET.YOU SEND ME THE **** CODE TO MY CELLPHONE TO CONFIRM IT WAS ME, AND IS STILL OBLIGATING ME TO CHANGE MY DAMN PASSORD, I DON'T WANT TO CHANGE IT, KEEP THE WAY IT IS.THERE'S NOT ANOTHER PERSON TRYING TO ACESS MY...
  3. STOP FORCING ME TO CHANGE MY PASSWORD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    STOP FORCING ME TO CHANGE MY PASSWORD: I DO NOT WANT TO CHANGE THE **** PASSWORD THAT I'VE ALREADY SET.YOU SEND ME THE **** CODE TO MY CELLPHONE TO CONFIRM IT WAS ME, AND IS STILL OBLIGATING ME TO CHANGE MY DAMN PASSORD, I DON'T WANT TO CHANGE IT, KEEP THE WAY IT IS.THERE'S NOT ANOTHER PERSON TRYING TO ACESS MY...
  4. STOP FORCING ME TO CHANGE MY PASSWORD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Microsoft is forcing me to upgrade to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft is forcing me to upgrade to Windows 11: I opened the Windows Update page on my Windows 10 and I cheched for updates like I usually do but it started downloading Windows 11 automaticly and doesn't let me cancel it.I pressed suspend button and resumed the updates and its still downloading the upgrade files.I can't...
  6. Microsoft is forcing me to upgrade to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft is forcing me to upgrade to Windows 11: I opened the Windows Update page on my Windows 10 and I cheched for updates like I usually do but it started downloading Windows 11 automaticly and doesn't let me cancel it.I pressed suspend button and resumed the updates and its still downloading the upgrade files.I can't...
  7. Microsoft is forcing me to upgrade to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Windows 10 forces me to change password almost every time I sign in

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 forces me to change password almost every time I sign in: Windows 10 is always locking me out and forcing me to change my password. This used to happen every so often; now it happens once every day or every other day. I will start to sign in, and maybe I touch the keyboard wrong or something, and before I can type in my password,...
  9. Stop force feeding me broken updates!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stop force feeding me broken updates!: I recently got a popup on my PC...please choose a time to update. I clicked it away, wanting to wait. Fast forward 24 hours, I get home from work. Windows is updating. Now I had a long day, I wanted a bit of downtime...and boy did I get it. 4 hours of update! Now...update...
  10. Microsoft Forces the Windows 10 Upgrade on Windows 7 PCs

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Forces the Windows 10 Upgrade on Windows 7 PCs: The upgrade is automatically initiated at system reboot Microsoft’s offering Windows 10 as a free upgrade to those on Windows 7 and 8.1, and an update that was released on June 1 is supposed to offer a direct way to move to the new operating system. Initially, this...