Windows 10: Already assigned and active drive letters being reassigned

Discus and support Already assigned and active drive letters being reassigned in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have many systems in house that have dual USB hdd docks. These normally have two drives installed. I have assigned specific drives letters via... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by WallyZ, May 12, 2016.

1. WallyZ Win User

Already assigned and active drive letters being reassigned

I have many systems in house that have dual USB hdd docks. These normally have two drives installed.

I have assigned specific drives letters via disk manager.

However when another USB storage device is added the drive letters for the two active drives in the dock will instantly be changed.

This occurs even when both drives are copying between each other. This is really screwing up my applications and backups.

Is there a way to prevent this from occurring?

:)

WallyZ, May 12, 2016
  2. Don Camp Win User

USB drive letter assignments

Long-winded background:

I have a USB flash drive that I assigned to drive D: in Disk Management. Occasionally when I'm not thinking, I plug it in when another external drive is connected and already assigned D: by Windows. The flash drive then gets reassigned as E:. I know I
    can switch it back to D: in Disk Management, but frankly my original reason for assigning a fixed letter is not such a big deal anymore. Is there a way to "undo" fixed letter assignments? I'd like to just let the drive float again.

TL;DR:

Once you assign a fixed drive letter in Disk Management, is there a way to "undo" and let the drive assignment float again?

Don Camp, May 12, 2016
  3. knute97 Win User
    Power outage change my external drive letters again

I have 2 external USB drives connected to my W10 computer. Originally when installed, these drives were assigned D: and E: (C: contains all the programs, etc. and F: was configured by HP as the Factory Backup).

Just had a power outage, and when the computer rebooted, these drives were assigned the letters E: and L:.

After previous power outages, I was able to reassign the drive letters back to their original letters, but this time, when I use the disk management program, the letter D is not available for reassignment.

I do not keep my data files on the C: drive, preferring to keep all my data on the E: drive. The D: drive is used as a continuous backup for the E: drive.

Being unable to restore the drive letters makes all my file and backup schemes invalid since the drive letters are all wrong and I don't want to figure out and correct all my links.

How can I restore my original configuration?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

knute97, May 12, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi there is a simple trick that may help:

In diskmgmt.msc, change the drive letter of a drive of interest to (e.g. x - late in the alphabet so you're not likely to need it otherwise).
    Now you will find every time you plug that drive in it will be assigned the same letter.
    I use this for my backup drive for disk imaging (which everyone is strongly advised to use)

Repeat for other drives using other letters if it works for you.

Note: I don't know how using a dock may affect this compared to plugging it in directly.

dalchina, May 12, 2016
  5. WallyZ Win User
    It mentions in my original post that I have specifically assigned drive letters via disk manager.

This doesn't seem to help.

It appears when 2 USB devices have been setup this way and have conflicting letters the OS gives preference to the newly added device.

I believe when there is a conflict it should be first come is first served.

WallyZ, May 15, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    I see what you mean now.. can only suggest you assign individual letters to individual drives. I suspect it would be optimistic to expect different or better behaviour, unfortunately.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Already assigned and active drive letters being reassigned - Similar Threads - Already assigned active

2. Assigning Drive Letter

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Assigning Drive Letter: I am trying to assign a particular letter to one of my hard drives. None of my other drives are assigned that letter, but it is not listed in the choices. Is there something I can do?...
  3. Assign a drive letter

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Assign a drive letter: When I plug an external hard drive to my PC (Windows 10) via the USB, the computer does not recognize it in Windows Explorer. I have to go into Disk Management to assign the drive a letter before I can see it in Windows Explorer. Is there an option in Windows 10 to...
  4. Change assigned drive letters

in Windows 10 Support
    Change assigned drive letters: Haven't done this in a while. Never in W-10 Want to move and reassign: On Disk 0 (F) becomes (D) 15 MB assigned by OS On Disk 1 (H) becomes (E) Second SSD drive On Disk 2 (D) becomes (F) First HDD used for storage On Disk 3 (E) becomes (G) External 1 GB for File History,...
  5. Cannot Assign Drive Letter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot Assign Drive Letter: Normally when a drive has no drive letter, I can assign one in disk manager but not this time. Disk Manager does not provide the option of assigning a drive letter so I cannot use the drive??? [img] 111481
  6. Trouble Assigning Drive Letters

Trouble Assigning Drive Letters: Okay, I recently moved my complete MAME set to an external hd, which my computer designated "D." I also backed up my computer to a separate external hd, which my computer designated as "K." I want the backup hd to be "D" and the MAME hd to be something else. I selected...
  7. Drive letter assignment to hot-swap drives being forgotten

Drive letter assignment to hot-swap drives being forgotten: I have two SATA hot-swap drives that I alternate between each day for backups. When using Windows 7 I was able to assign the disks to g: and then after the initial assignment, windows would remember this and assign it to g: on each subsequent use. But with Windows 10 it...
  8. SSD Not being assigned drive letter

SSD Not being assigned drive letter: After formatting my extra SSD, windows won't assign it a drive letter when the computer starts. I have to use a third-party software to assign the letter, and I have to do it everytime it boots, and it's starting to annoy me. Can't really find any solutions on google 44340
  9. Drive Letters, will they be overwritten or reassigned?

Drive Letters, will they be overwritten or reassigned?: Hey Everyone, Good day to all of you! I bought 2 new 3tb WD My Books that I will getting next week. First, the two that I have currently have a Drive letter of E and F. I am doing a wipe and a clean install of Windows 10 pro x64 once I get the new drives. After the wipe...
  10. Cannot assign a drive letter

Cannot assign a drive letter: Hi folk. I have an external drive where the electronics of the case has failed. I have switched the drive into my pc so that I can use it as an internal drive. The drive is still operational but I cannot see it listed in my drives. Opening up disk manager shows the drive is...