Windows 10: Alt+Number displays wrong symbols

Discus and support Alt+Number displays wrong symbols in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I've just discovered that my ALT symbols don't work correctly. For instance ALT+156 on the right hand keypad (which should produce the Pound... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Cluas62, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Cluas62 Win User

Alt+Number displays wrong symbols

Hi,

I've just discovered that my ALT symbols don't work correctly. For instance ALT+156 on the right hand keypad (which should produce the Pound sign) now yields ♠ - and so on ALT+157 = •, ALT+158 = ◘ etc. Can somebody help me? (it doesn't matter whether I type the "+" as well). Any help would be deeply appreciated. Thanks

:)

Cluas62, Jul 18, 2017
  2. FP521 Win User

Notepad won't display logic symbols

When I create a UTF-8 text file in Notepad and try to insert logic symbols, either by pasting from Word, or ALT+code, Notepad displays either a square or some wrong char, not the symbol.

What could be causing this and how can I fix it?

Funny thing is it was displaying correctly but at some point it stopped for no obvious reason.

Thanx.

FP521, Jul 18, 2017
  3. hillrg Win User
    Alt Char Codes

I've installed a new copy of windows 10 and ALT + 251 no longer generates the square root symbol. Here is what I get:

ALT + 251 = ¹

ALT + 0251 = û

ALT + 8730 = →

Region = Canada

Windows display language = United States

How do I change this to get the square root symbol?

Thanks in advance

hillrg, Jul 18, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello Cluas62 *Smile

Type Character in the search box on the taskbar and select Character Map.

This should open a window which lets you see what characters are assigned to the various shortcuts. Here is mine - an alternative for the £ is ALT + 0163

Alt+Number displays wrong symbols [​IMG]

Alt+Number displays wrong symbols [​IMG]

philc43, Jul 18, 2017
  5. Cluas62 Win User
    Sorry for the trouble. It comes from the fact that with sticky keys turned on (which I generally do) the correct way of accessing the Pound sign is Alt Alt 1 5 6 Alt, or Alt Alt 0 1 6 3 Alt. @philc43 Thanks

Cluas62, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Alt+Number displays wrong symbols - Similar Threads - Alt+Number displays wrong

2. Alt-codes to enter ASCII symbols

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Alt-codes to enter ASCII symbols: I just did the latest update to Windows 10 Oct 21, 22. Now I can't use the alt-codes to enter ASCII symbols. This capability is important for using international alphabet symbols. Microsoft - when will you reinstate this capability? If you haven't considered this, please do....
  3. Alt-codes to enter ASCII symbols

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Alt-codes to enter ASCII symbols: I just did the latest update to Windows 10 Oct 21, 22. Now I can't use the alt-codes to enter ASCII symbols. This capability is important for using international alphabet symbols. Microsoft - when will you reinstate this capability? If you haven't considered this, please do....
  4. Help: Ntoskrnl Wrong Symbols

in Windows 10 Customization
    Help: Ntoskrnl Wrong Symbols: Hi, Can you help me on the dmp file and tell me what is going wrong? Thanks.https://www.dropbox.com/s/u85pkyd9pp7mtz9/081022-7609-01.rar?dl=0IMAGE_VERSION: 10.0.19041.1865STACK_COMMAND: .cxr; .ecxr ; kbEXCEPTION_CODE_STR: 9A263D24EXCEPTION_STR: WRONG_SYMBOLSPROCESS_NAME:...
  5. Help: Ntoskrnl Wrong Symbols

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help: Ntoskrnl Wrong Symbols: Hi, Can you help me on the dmp file and tell me what is going wrong? Thanks.https://www.dropbox.com/s/u85pkyd9pp7mtz9/081022-7609-01.rar?dl=0IMAGE_VERSION: 10.0.19041.1865STACK_COMMAND: .cxr; .ecxr ; kbEXCEPTION_CODE_STR: 9A263D24EXCEPTION_STR: WRONG_SYMBOLSPROCESS_NAME:...
  6. Help: Ntoskrnl Wrong Symbols

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. How to change Alt Gr symbols?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change Alt Gr symbols?: I'm not sure if this falls under help or feature because I need help with a feature, but hey ho. I'm desperate. If this is not right for this sub, I'd appreciate being signposted to the right place. I'm based in the UK, Wales specifically, and my job includes using the Welsh...
  8. keybroad typing wrong symbols

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    keybroad typing wrong symbols: when im not in caps it types in caps i cant even put down a comma or a period because it will look like < or > and im not pressing shift when i try to type im i get i"m when i try to type numbers this happens : !@#$%^&* i dont know what to do and ive gone through all...
  9. Alt + Number bug?

in Windows 10 Support
    Alt + Number bug?: Google is no help to me on this: Windows 10: I use Alt + 0176 frequently to get the degree symbol. Now it gives me é. I use two keyboard setups. ENG US & ENT INTL. Both gave me the degree symbol before. Now, in the last couple of days, they give me é. I can't find anything...
  10. Keyboard typing wrong symbol

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Keyboard typing wrong symbol: Hey, My keyboard is having some error. 1. shift + 2 output " (should be @) 2. shift + 3 output £ (should be #) 3. shift + ' output @ (should be ") How should I fix this ? Regards, CXY...