Windows 10: Alternative methods for unpinning from Start?

Discus and support Alternative methods for unpinning from Start? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I don't know if this is a bug or fluke, but I had two Office 2016 apps pinned to Start in Win10. Later, I uninstalled Office 2016. Instead of the two... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rseiler, Jan 22, 2017.

1. rseiler Win User

Alternative methods for unpinning from Start?

I don't know if this is a bug or fluke, but I had two Office 2016 apps pinned to Start in Win10. Later, I uninstalled Office 2016. Instead of the two pinned items also disappearing, they stuck around, but now they're just blank squares that (of course) do nothing.

The problem is removing them: when you right click one, the only option available is resizing. Hovering over either of them shows this:
    w~{7c5a40ef-a0fb-4bfc-874a-c0f2e0b9fa8e\Microsc

So I searched the Registry for the numerical part of that, but I see nothing useful that ties to pinning or the former apps. I also searched for files that include that string, but there are none.

Where are pinned Start menu (right side) items stored then? I have a feeling they're in a database or some other subtle place that even if we found it wouldn't be helpful. One thing is for sure: it's not the "User Pinned" folder in the profile (that would be too straightforward).

Lesson learned though: unpin stuff before removing the program.

:)

rseiler, Jan 22, 2017
  2. glapion Win User

alternative methods to D/L maps for Nokia Maps

cool, thanks

glapion, Jan 22, 2017
  3. ivarle Win User
  4. Win10Pro Win User

Hi, go to: My computer / Local drive C: / ProgramData (a hidden folder so go to Windows Explorer /File / Change Folder and Search oprions / Folder Options / View / mark Show hidden files, folders and drives) / Microsoft / Windows / Start Menu / Programs.

As an alternative use Everything app typing in "Office" to see if there are any traces left after the removal.

Win10Pro, Jan 22, 2017
  5. And have a look in Users > your user name > AppData > Roaming > Microsoft > Windows > Start Menu > Programs

alphanumeric, Jan 22, 2017
  6. rseiler Win User
    Those two locations, unfortunately, are the traditional places in Windows for Start menu items (the left side of Start), not where the blocks are located (the right side of Start). Microsoft invented a whole new place/system for that, which I'm beginning to think is either a single nondescript file that very likely can't be edited, or an even more obscure (possibly encrypted) place in the Registry that's equally untouchable.

Yes, I've definitely been using "Everything" a lot, but no related hits so far.

rseiler, Jan 22, 2017
  7. spunk Win User
    Taskbar shortcuts are located in: %AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

spunk, Jan 23, 2017
  8. rseiler Win User

Yes, too bad they don't make it that easy for the squares.

rseiler, Jan 23, 2017
  9. Since you seem to be out of 'likely' solutions it might be time for an 'unlikely, but why not' idea

Rebuild the Icon Cache. I know it actually says it won't help if ... "The icon of a shortcut not displaying properly due to the target source of the shortcut was moved or deleted." ... but since this is a Start Menu icon and not a Desktop icon maybe it will help ?????
    Icon Cache - Rebuild in Windows 10

CCleaner has a Registry Cleaner that has a reasonably safe reputation (if there is such a thing)
    • It doesn't automatically clean (delete) so you can read through the list to see if some thing looks appropriate
    • You can backup the Registry items before deleting them
    • There is a Portable version at the Builds site so you don't have to install it
    Cleaner @ CCleaner - Builds

Good luck *Smile

FrillyBits, Jan 23, 2017
  10. rseiler Win User
    No luck with the icon cache rebuild, though I did have some hope. Still going through the CCleaner output, but so far no smoking gun.

rseiler, Jan 24, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
    Apparently you are right - on all counts. It's a database and, no, finding it doesn't appear to be helpful. *Sad
    Looks like it's here: C:\Users\<your_name>\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\Database

12. spunk Win User
    Did you follow the path in post #5?

spunk, Jan 24, 2017
  13. rseiler Win User

That's for the Task Bar. Bree is right, it's all about that Database folder. I'm looking around to see what others have done with it.

rseiler, Jan 24, 2017
  14. AndreyT Win User
    How is that path relevant to the issue at hand?

AndreyT, Jan 25, 2017
  15. rseiler Win User
    With the right search term, TileDataLayer, it was easy finding past discussion of this, such as here:
    Removing dead icons from Start menu All Apps

It looks like the vedatamodel.edb file is the key. Removing that, either via another profile, or better, via a recovery environment, should reset Start.

I would have tried that, but didn't want to lose everything else in the menu. Instead, I mounted the latest Win10 ISO and installed that on top of what I had, which is basically doing an "upgrade" while remaining on the same version. Sometimes doing that can resolve weird issues like this, and fortunately, it did. Those two icons are gone.

rseiler, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Alternative methods for unpinning from Start? - Similar Threads - Alternative methods unpinning

2. Feedback - Alternative methods?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Feedback - Alternative methods?: I am unable to download the Feedback Hub, due to company policy on my work computer. Is there any other way to provide feedback on changes you would like to see implemented in Microsoft Windows?I would really like to see Microsoft move the 'Unpin from Quick access' selection...
  3. Feedback - Alternative methods?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Feedback - Alternative methods?: I am unable to download the Feedback Hub, due to company policy on my work computer. Is there any other way to provide feedback on changes you would like to see implemented in Microsoft Windows?I would really like to see Microsoft move the 'Unpin from Quick access' selection...
  4. Linux with w10 - alternative methods?

in Windows 10 Support
    Linux with w10 - alternative methods?: Is this a fair summary of the possible ways to use Linux on a machine with w10 already installed ? w10p 1909 build (up-to-date), digital license, MS Account linked, single user. Option 1: With w10 shutdown use a Linux live bootable usb and operate the Linux system only from...
  5. Unpin tiles from Start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unpin tiles from Start menu: Hi, I have a question How can I unpin all tiles from the Start Menu using a batch script or registry editor in Windows 10 20H2 175931
  6. Can't unpin from start menu

Can't unpin from start menu: A few months ago, I could unpin from start, but now when I unpin something, it comes back every time I shut down my PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-unpin-from-start-menu/84d8eb39-c74d-45d0-b093-e167399f8d17
  7. Can't unpin a tile from Start

Can't unpin a tile from Start: Hi, I'm using Windows 10 Pro and can't unpin a tile from Start.. someone please??! 55130
  8. Can't unpin app from Start

Can't unpin app from Start: Hello, I can't unpin an app from the Start menu Here's a gif of what (doesn't) happen [img] 12581
  9. Unpin tile from "Start"

Unpin tile from "Start": Hello,Cannot unpin an old tile from Start.Click on it does not open any program, right click on it has two options:Unpin from start - does not work, or Resize - working. I can also relocate it, but it refuses to go.Made a search on the internet, tried some answers but its...
  10. Unpinning apps from the Start Menu ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Unpinning apps from the Start Menu ?: So, am I just stupid or when I right click an app and choose "Unpin from Start" the app is still in the Start Menu and works no problem, am I just missing something or there is no way to get rid of pinned apps ? Also I read somewhere that when you right click a blank space...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 tiles w~{7c5a40ef TileDataLayer 1703

2. w~{7c5a40ef-a0fb-4bfc-874a-c0f2e0b9fa8e}