Windows 10: Alternative to Windows Live Photo Gallery

Discus and support Alternative to Windows Live Photo Gallery in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've used WLPG for a long time and like it, but I have the crashing problem which on and off makes it impossible to use. I'm looking for an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Oriental Slave, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Alternative to Windows Live Photo Gallery

I've used WLPG for a long time and like it, but I have the crashing problem which on and off makes it impossible to use.

I'm looking for an alternative.
    • I could do all the importing to the PC from the camera with Bridge.
    • I might also be able to do it with Lightroom, have never looked to see if it can do exactly what I want, happy to continue using Bridge.
    • I can use Lightroom for all the editing
    • It's the tagging I really liked in WLPG, and the way I could use it to search for untagged photos, and how it handled the hierarchy of tags I have.
    • The native Photos app doesn't deal with tagging, indeed it doesn't display existing tags, plus it's IMHO clumsy in comparison maybe because it's intended to work on touch-screens as well.
    So any suggestions? I'm using a conventional desk-top PC with a mouse & keyboard, not a touch-screen device.
    • It must pick up and use the existing tagging hierarchy
    • Would prefer to be able to use the same program for import & tagging
    • of course I'd much prefer something that's free!

:)

Oriental Slave, Mar 27, 2016

2. Windows Live Photo Gallery won't open

Windows Live Photo Gallery won't open on my desktop. Why?

<Original title: Windows Live Photo Gallery>

John A Davies_910, Mar 27, 2016
  3. Chuck2014 Win User
    Windows Live Photo Galery as default

I have been using Windows Live Photo Gallery on Windows 7. Installed Windows 10 and it had Microsoft Photos pre-installed. How to I get rid of Microsoft Photos and keep Windows Live Photo Gallery?

Original title: Microsoft Photos

Update:

I asked previously about removing Microsoft Photos from Windows 10. The answer is I can not. I have used for years Windows Live Photo Gallery. The issue now is that when the Microsoft program pulls photos from Windows Live Photo Gallery they are then duplicated
    in the Windows program. Is there a way to disable the Microsoft program?

Chuck2014, Mar 27, 2016
  4. Alternative to Windows Live Photo Gallery

I use WLPG and it works ok for me
    Have you tried uninstalling it completely and reinstalling it
    As that might be the cause of your trouble
    Otherwise you could search in the store for another free one

hTconeM9user, Mar 27, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    Did you get your Windows (Live) Photo Gallery by installing Windows (Live) Essentials ?
    *** Microsoft has long since removed the word "Live" from the program.
    If yes, go to Programs and Features > scroll down to Windows Essentials > right click at it > click Uninstall/Change > click Repair.

See if Repair will fix the "crash" issue.

davidhk, Mar 27, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    davidhk, Mar 27, 2016
  7. The tagging is the crucial bit which the Windows Photo Viewer doesn't appear to do.

I'll try the repair suggestion.

Oriental Slave, Mar 28, 2016
  8. Alternative to Windows Live Photo Gallery

TairikuOkami, Mar 28, 2016
  9. Another Windows Live Gallery user here and I have no problems. Did the repair install work for you?

RamboMcMutNutts, Mar 28, 2016
  10. Start
    All Apps
    Photo Gallery and open it
    Along the top
    You can see people tagged
    Batch People Tagged
    Descriptive Tag
    Click on that one
    Up will come
    Tag an item
    Manage Tag
    Unused Tag
    Hope that is something you are looking for

hTconeM9user, Mar 28, 2016
  11. davidhk Win User
    Yes. Photo Viewer does Not have "tag" option.

What is the result of the Repair ?

davidhk, Mar 28, 2016
  12. Repair didn't fix the problem, nor did uninstall, clean the registry with CCleaner & install. *Sad

Will have to try some of the alternatives.

Oriental Slave, Mar 29, 2016
  13. Alternative to Windows Live Photo Gallery

This is the program that falls over every time I start it.

14. Have found the Lightroom Import does exactly what I need there.

So I have a choice of learning some new software to do the tagging, or learning how to do it with Lightroom. I'll try the LR method first.

15. Then it has to be something your end as works ok for me when I use it
    I use Edge Browser and Bing etc so could be something to do with that

hTconeM9user, Mar 29, 2016
Thema:

Alternative to Windows Live Photo Gallery

1. Alternative to Windows Live Photo Gallery - Similar Threads - Alternative Live Photo

2. Alternative To Photo Gallery?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Alternative To Photo Gallery?: I'm wondering if anyone knows if there's an alternative to Photo Gallery. I've used it for a while, but I'm so used to using everything in dark mode now, that it feels so unnatural to use Photo Gallery, which is blinding. I tried using the Photos app, but it is way too slow...
  3. Windows Live Photo Gallery

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Live Photo Gallery: How do I delete multiple pictures in one go https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-live-photo-gallery/c42f91bf-f7c8-42d6-a97d-5c5f2dcf0a9d
  4. Windows Live Photo Gallery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Live Photo Gallery: How is WLXPhotoGallery related to WindowsLive PhotoGalery? How do I get a free download of WLXPhotoGallery Windows10 to replace my old WindowsLivePhotogallery? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-live-photo-gallery/8b3513bc-1ee4-436b-b1fa-5484982be022
  5. Windows Live Photo Gallery

Windows Live Photo Gallery: Does anyone know if there is a SAFE way to delete photos from live photo gallery that are duplicates other than selecting them 1 at a time? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-live-photo-gallery/cb3d64ff-698c-408c-8d43-40610e4c4b61
  6. Windows Live Photo Gallery

Windows Live Photo Gallery: Help! I've just found that Windows Live Photo Gallery is no longer supported. I have thousands of photos residing there. Should I move them to a new location? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-live-photo-gallery/aba456d7-56bb-4f2c-a235-15b59698dbb1"
  7. Windows Essentials Live Gallery alternative?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Essentials Live Gallery alternative?: Hello, We are getting ready to move to windows 10. We used to use Windows Essentials Live Gallery to import photos from the camera in groups and auto resize them. IS there a way to do that in Windows 10 or an alternative to Windows Essentials?...
  8. Windows Live Photo Gallery

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Live Photo Gallery: I cannot find Live Photo Gallery. I understand it is no longer available. Do I have other options for photo fuse? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/windows-live-photo-gallery/0aff1cc1-f85d-44ae-bd0d-8caa46b6d488
  9. Photos Live Gallery

Photos Live Gallery: I know Microsoft stopped supporting Windows Live Photo Gallery, but - like a lot of people - I really liked it and was using it until I did a Windows 10 Refresh (re-installed automatically). It then disappeared and I cannot find it anywhere to re-install. Can anyone help? I...
  10. Windows Live Photo Gallery

Windows Live Photo Gallery: I have just bought an ASus Vivobook and believed it to have Windows live hoto gallery on board Win 10 it is much better than other simple editors I cant find it 1 is there and how do I find it? 2 if not there how do I download it and from where? This is very...