Windows 10: Alternative way to boot to CD?

Discus and support Alternative way to boot to CD? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My Asus mobo has very unresponsive firmware. It takes next to forever for the first menu to appear, and what's more, it periodically forgets its... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by shmu26, Aug 29, 2017.

1. shmu26 Win User

Alternative way to boot to CD?

My Asus mobo has very unresponsive firmware. It takes next to forever for the first menu to appear, and what's more, it periodically forgets its settings and reverts to default.
    So, this morning my Windows boot got borked, and I wanted to run a live CD in order to fix it or to do a system image restore.
    Is there an alternative way to coax my computer into booting from the CD drive, without accessing the firmware menus?
    I tried switching the SATA cables, but it still recognized my borked hard drive and threw an error. I tried disconnecting the hard drive, and that works, but then when I reconnect it, the rescue environment doesn't see it, so I still can't fix it.
    Any ideas, besides replacing the mobo?

:)

shmu26, Aug 29, 2017

2. Alternative Way ?

There are 2 ways to update your phone's firmware.

Do it from your phone without the need of a computer (over the air).

And to install it from your computer into your device.

leonwu2705, Aug 29, 2017
  3. Alternative Way ?

Hello !

i have a low speed internet connection where it takes a long time to download the updating software of Nokia 6630.i just want to know that is there any alternative way to download the updates and then install them through Nokia Software Updater ? Because i
    want to avoid my cell to be connected to the internet for a long time.

I Hope you could get my point.seeking replies

Regards

Unknown Singer !

unknownsinger---01, Aug 29, 2017
  4. Helmut Win User

That sounds like your BIOS/UEFI settings battery needs replacing.

A very cheap and easy job on a Desktop. If it's the one you have listed in your specs then it should have lasted 5 years or so, maybe it was just a bad battery, got too much heat.

Helmut, Aug 29, 2017
  5. shmu26 Win User
    Thanks. I guess there is hope, after all.

shmu26, Aug 29, 2017
  6. If your BIOS isn't saving the settings, you may need to replace the motherboard battery. But as far as booting from your CD drive, there should be a boot option menu in the BIOS to override the boot order and you can choose to boot from CD drive, USB, etc. instead of trying to boot from SATA HD. You should be able to boot from CD while the SATA HD is still connected. Also some BIOS have the option on SATA to allow them to be hot plug connected after booting system and they will be recognized by Windows, but you have to change SATA port to "Hot Plug" for it to do this. Maybe this might be worth trying.

mfmathis75, Aug 29, 2017
  7. bobkn Win User
    Maybe the BIOS battery is failing, although they are typically good for years. The manual doesn't specify, but if it's a type 2032 button cell, that is one of the easiest to find a replacement for.

Aside from that, you can also change the boot order on a one-time basis by pressing the F8 hotkey during boot.

bobkn, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Alternative way to boot to CD? - Similar Threads - Alternative boot

2. Is there an alternate key I can use other than ESC to for startup menu during boot-up?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there an alternate key I can use other than ESC to for startup menu during boot-up?: I have a computer running Windows 7 from 2002 AMD FX-6200 processor that always says "Press the ESC key for Startup Menu" when booting up not sure why. It's not a big problem because I always choose to continue startup as usual from the list, but I have trouble getting the...
  3. Is there an alternate key I can use other than ESC to for startup menu during boot-up?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there an alternate key I can use other than ESC to for startup menu during boot-up?: I have a computer running Windows 7 from 2002 AMD FX-6200 processor that always says "Press the ESC key for Startup Menu" when booting up not sure why. It's not a big problem because I always choose to continue startup as usual from the list, but I have trouble getting the...
  4. windows wont boot from alternate USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows wont boot from alternate USB: I am unable to boot a system. The original boot device does not boot but goes to "Starting Automatic Repair" and hangs. I created a USB boot drive from Microsoft site and changed the boot options to legacy and disabled secure boot. When i boot from the USB, it simply hangs....
  5. windows wont boot from alternate USB

windows wont boot from alternate USB: I am unable to boot a system. The original boot device does not boot but goes to "Starting Automatic Repair" and hangs. I created a USB boot drive from Microsoft site and changed the boot options to legacy and disabled secure boot. When i boot from the USB, it simply hangs....
  6. windows wont boot from alternate USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Bitlocker enabled automatically when booting Windows from an alternate Drive and no key was...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bitlocker enabled automatically when booting Windows from an alternate Drive and no key was...: I am using a DELL laptop and I have recently replaced the SSD inside it with another. In order to complete the file transfer, I moved the data to an external drive, booted Windows from it, and transferred the contents of the drive to the SSD. The SSD is completely functional...
  8. Bitlocker enabled automatically when booting Windows from an alternate Drive and no key was...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker enabled automatically when booting Windows from an alternate Drive and no key was...: I am using a DELL laptop and I have recently replaced the SSD inside it with another. In order to complete the file transfer, I moved the data to an external drive, booted Windows from it, and transferred the contents of the drive to the SSD. The SSD is completely functional...
  9. Bitlocker enabled automatically when booting Windows from an alternate Drive and no key was...

10. Using Alternate Boot Options: Boot from EFI Flash Drive does not work anymore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using Alternate Boot Options: Boot from EFI Flash Drive does not work anymore: I have from the past 12 -13 years have always been able to create Linux boot disk to evaluate various Linux products and perhaps install or not.That does not seem to be possible anymore with the new menu options provided using Shift + Restart. It always gives ne an error...