Windows 10: Am I really THIS stupid !!!!

Discus and support Am I really THIS stupid !!!! in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi there I got an Amazon Fire stick a few days ago because of the recommendations of being able to use PLEX on it at decent bit rates -- but am I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jimbo45, Oct 21, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Am I really THIS stupid !!!!

Hi there

I got an Amazon Fire stick a few days ago because of the recommendations of being able to use PLEX on it at decent bit rates -- but am I the ONLY person on the planet who can't make the wretched thing work. !!

The built in apps are fine -- wifi no problem -- but whenever trying to start PLEX it refers me to logon to PLEX site to enter a pin number -- as I already have an account no way to do it -- and when I try and logon to the plex TV site as required by the application I get from the android phone device -- site not found.

Now I regard myself as no Dummy with regard to typical computer problems - also have PhD in Engineering but just can't for the life of me to get this wretched device to work.

Funnily enough I did have a Google Chromecast device which people said were much more complicated to get working - but for me worked straight out of the Box.

So Peeps with Amazon fire stick

HOW DOI I GET IT TO PLAY MY LOCAL MEDIA USING PLEX media server from my NAS.

I'm stuck at the PLEX signon screen -- there's a PIN number on the TV and it says logon on another device using https://plex.tv/tv

Before I chuck the thing in the Bin anybody got any ideas before I've realized I've probably wasted 50 EUR.

The Built in apps are fine -- I just wanted this for local PLEX -- the built in CPU in theory should take load of local transcoding on my NAS server.

Thanks

If it's this complicated I can't understand how so many people RAVE over the device or have I got a 100% Brainstorm !!!!!

( There's a VLC player on the stick but on 1080p HEVC X265 it only seems to play video - so even here transcoder not working).

I think I'll give up being so nasty to GOOGLE - the device works even if sometimes the video freezes for a few seconds when playing 1080p HEVC X265 videos.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Oct 21, 2016

2. Really stupid question (sorry) - how do I turn my 'phone off?

I have exact same issues with my Nokia Lumina 635 Widows Phone... Seems like it's going to power off but then turns right back on!

BorisMustafa, Oct 21, 2016
  3. yomifas Win User
    Really stupid question (sorry) - how do I turn my 'phone off?

My phone keeps coming back on itself,,what can I do

yomifas, Oct 21, 2016
  4. aramil Win User

use:

Link Account | Plex

if this is just for local you can log your account out (email/plex account) in the servers setting page and just add the address (ip) of the server to the app The login code is just to link apps (directly and remotely)

aramil, Oct 21, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi folks

The transcoding isn't as good as the Google Chromecast

I've sent it back --didn't really offer me anything what I didn't want already -- The extra apps etc weren't what I wanted --I really thought the stick could have done the recoding / transcoding away from the server -- all I got "Server not powerful enough to transcode Video" (HEVC X 265) and the native VLC would only play with no video but just sound. !!.

I'm sure for a lot of people the thing is fine but for me a TOTAL WASTE of 30 EUR !!!.

I didn't need all the amazon prime TV stuff etc.

Seems no way to get PLEX to download to the stick and then using the stick's supposedly's god CPU to transcode and then deliver to the TV.

Even if Googlecast doesn't transcode - at least the server can send Video which the client application can do things with.

For me in this case Amazon 0 Google 1 -- GOOOOOOOOAL !!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 21, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    I have found transcoding on the fly is often patchy on such devices.

I generally just convert the video to mp4 and then it works on any device.

cereberus, Oct 21, 2016
  7. essenbe Win User
    Jimbo, did you install ES Explorer? With that you should be able to install anything.

essenbe, Oct 21, 2016
  8. aramil Win User

Yeah I did not like the stick but the Box is great (all be it more expensive) and i don't have any issues with formats etc. (wired connection)

aramil, Oct 21, 2016
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi
    @aramil

Thanks

I got the box in the end -- so much better -- it even found my 5 GHZ wifi that the stick didn't (apparently to make the stick see 5 GHZ wifi you have to change the 5 GHZ wifi channel to something like 36 - I was on 108 which it couldn't see so had to downgrade to 2.5 GHZ.

Anyway got 30 EUR credit towards the box which is what I should have bought in the first place !!!

5 GHZ fine for me -- also tried wired connection -- not much (if any) difference so I wentr back to wifi --less wires etc -- even if only 1 small piece of Lan cable. (Router is next to the box under the TV).

Amazon are fine on deliveries --even on Sundays !!

Also back to my Schooldays -- always RTFM before messing around -- (Read The F.. Manual) !!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 22, 2016
  10. essenbe Win User
    I can't agree more, Jimbo. I have the Stick and the Box. The box is so much better, it's worth the extra cost.

essenbe, Oct 22, 2016
  11. Plankton Win User
    I know what the stick is .....but what is the "Box". I assuming it's something similar. As for the fire stick....most people (across the pond) use KODI to free the stick.

Plankton, Oct 22, 2016
  12. essenbe Win User
    It's the same thing, just bigger, better, faster.

Fire TV - Amazon Official Site - Streaming Media Player

essenbe, Oct 22, 2016
  13. jimbo45 Win User

Hi tere

Problem with KODI is :

1) PLEX can use a Central DB instead of needing multiple DB's on each computer KODI is running on
    2) KODI always transcodes on the NATIVE box -- that doesn't help when you are using low powered NAS boxes etc -- no need for things like i7 CPU's or XEON's from simple transcoding.

PLEX works just fine -- Fire TV box also handles HEVC X265 without stuttering problems !!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Am I really THIS stupid !!!! - Similar Threads - really stupid

2. Is your system really that stupid to update operating system in the middle of working????...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is your system really that stupid to update operating system in the middle of working????...: Is your system really that stupid to update operating system in the middle of working???? Next time I'm buying a mac!!! Unacceptable!!! You can't even handle a smooth system uodating. What are all your engineers are doing???? Mortgage driven development!!...
  3. Is your system really that stupid to update operating system in the middle of working????...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is your system really that stupid to update operating system in the middle of working????...: Is your system really that stupid to update operating system in the middle of working???? Next time I'm buying a mac!!! Unacceptable!!! You can't even handle a smooth system uodating. What are all your engineers are doing???? Mortgage driven development!!...
  4. Is your system really that stupid to update operating system in the middle of working????...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Is PHOTOS broken or am I just really really really stupid?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is PHOTOS broken or am I just really really really stupid?: Any plans to make it so we can actually see our images in PHOTOS? I have been seeing threads dating back to 2014 asking for the ability to view a jpg in all of it's glorious colours. This image is NOT transparent in anyway. There is 0 gradients that use transparency and it is...
  6. I NEED URGENT HELP !!! I'm really stupid to do this, I increased everything and I don't...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I NEED URGENT HELP !!! I'm really stupid to do this, I increased everything and I don't...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Yaki_sukuko [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lnhgj0/i_need_urgent_help_im_really_stupid_to_do_this_i/
  7. Was being really stupid playing around with gparted on my laptop with mx linux, now tryna...

Was being really stupid playing around with gparted on my laptop with mx linux, now tryna...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/ryseofcurry [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jqx736/was_being_really_stupid_playing_around_with/
  8. This might be really stupid, but I just gave my pc to a shop and they installed a new...

This might be really stupid, but I just gave my pc to a shop and they installed a new...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/hisilo123 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jjtdfh/this_might_be_really_stupid_but_i_just_gave_my_pc/
  9. Really stupid mistake with user profiles

Really stupid mistake with user profiles: Made PC like a yr ago and was stupid and put my SSD as C: Drive. Today, realized i had no space left on it so I tried copying my user profile to my 2TB E: drive. After it copied I tried deleting from C: and now everything is messed up. I really don't know what to do if...
  10. "Hi. We're Microsoft! We don't really care what you want! You're all stupid children who...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    "Hi. We're Microsoft! We don't really care what you want! You're all stupid children who...: I'm sure I am not alone in feeling this way each and every time I have to come to this community and ask how to do something, which Microsoft has made it "Appear" there is a setting for but gets totally ignored by Windows 10 and continues doing what the user doesn't want...