Windows 10: Am I wasting my time creating image and recovery disk with Macrium

Discus and support Am I wasting my time creating image and recovery disk with Macrium in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; If I'm going to be reinstalling Win 10 in a couple of weeks (as it appears I can't just roll my Win10 Preview into a Win10 RTM version), is there any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by CountryBumkin, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Am I wasting my time creating image and recovery disk with Macrium

If I'm going to be reinstalling Win 10 in a couple of weeks (as it appears I can't just roll my Win10 Preview into a Win10 RTM version), is there any point in running the Macrium backup utility, imaging the disk, and crating a Macrium rescue disk?
    I assume that nothing (except my actual file data - documents, pictures, etc.) will be useable once I do a clean install.

:)

CountryBumkin, Jun 30, 2015

2. Correct Format for USB Stick | FAT32? | NTFS? | Some Other Format?

I am not talking about USB booting either, You image on an NTFS USB is still a drive, on to which u want to put an image. You make images to restore them not to run them. Your file extension needs to be recognized by the tool that creates them, You may
    need a boot disk or USB to recognize the image were ever you place it. Windows 10 use's the EFI and Recovery Partition to recover an image, Aomei creates is own format and recovery on your C drive which is accessed pre windows boot if windows fails. Good
    luck with Macrium I guess it does not have a help section.

File Allocation Table is for less than 4GB. Generally your image will detect size and choose fat, fat 12 ,Fat 32.

Regards

OctavianQR, Jun 30, 2015
  3. Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jun 30, 2015
  4. groze Win User

Am I wasting my time creating image and recovery disk with Macrium

From what I understand, is if you upgraded from 7 or 8 to to windows 10 preview you can roll it into rtm version. Once the home or pro version is upgraded to the rtm, there will be an option to leave the insider program and then it will stay as a rtm version and it should stay activated.

groze, Jun 30, 2015
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

There's NO SUCH THING AS TOO MANY BACKUPS. So long as you store your OS in its own partition or on a small SSD a backup image takes minimal space and you never know when you need it.

I'm currently in trying to resolve a problem have gone back to BUILD 9926 to try and track an error. !!!

Get a 2 TB external portable USB drive (costs almost nothing) and store your backup images on it. If you haven't used an image for a LONG while then you can delete it.

Restoring an image only takes a few minutes - even on a SLOW HDD it shouldn't take more than about 30 mins.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jun 30, 2015
  6. I did a clean install of Win10 preview 10130. I upgraded from Win7 - and I have the Win7 install key, but from what I've read on this site, I will need to reinstall Win7 first before I can to go to the Win10 RTM version.

So, if I make an image and Macrium recovery disk, I don't think they will be of any use (unless the files put on the recovery disk are the same for Win10 preview and Win10 RTM).

CountryBumkin, Jun 30, 2015
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Provided you took an image of your W7 image BEFORE you did the upgrade then a restore will be just fine -- you won't have to re-install W7 again.

I would always take a backup BEFORE doing any upgrades or even software installs.

A restore of W7 will simply set your machine back EXACTLY to the time you created the image -- Windows won't know that it's been restored =

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jun 30, 2015
  8. groze Win User

What Jimbo45 said in post #5

groze, Jun 30, 2015
  9. I didn't *Sad
    I'll know better next time.

CountryBumkin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Am I wasting my time creating image and recovery disk with Macrium - Similar Threads - wasting creating image

2. Can't take recovery from my system image, it shows to create a recovery disk.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't take recovery from my system image, it shows to create a recovery disk.: I created a recovery disk to get my initial state of system back after changing my SSD and installing windows afresh.Now I boot up into the system image recovery and select the image that I created as backup but in next steps the problem arises, it tells me that I should...
  3. Create recovery disk failed big time

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Create recovery disk failed big time: Went to create a recovery disk using the windows tool. win 10, latest updates on new computer. The process started and when I came back later, a popup window told me the process failed. Not the end of the world but now the USB drive is useless. The 64 GB drive now has a...
  4. Macrium Free disk imaging

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Free disk imaging: Ok, using a Macrium made boot USB I can create an image of my boot SSD (all partitions needed to boot Windows), to any other attached disk, this works perfectly. My question is about using Macrium while in Windows, is the disk image made this way identical to the image made...
  5. Waste of time

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Waste of time: How, since the recent automatic upgrade of Windows 10, can I disable tapping or other unpredictable Synaptics SMBus touchpad functions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/waste-of-time/a2bfd913-5be1-4aa5-abe6-7af47fe7d7d8
  6. Issue with creating Image on Laptop with Macrium Reflect

Issue with creating Image on Laptop with Macrium Reflect: OK here's my scenario, I have successfully used Macrium Reflect to create images saved on a 1TB external drive. I had 2 good images stored on it and tried to put 3rd image on the same drive. Please note that I have used one of save images to restore the system after replacing...
  7. Imaging a disk with macrium

Imaging a disk with macrium: I have tried several times to make an image of a windows 7 disk.. Using macrium reflect and it just won't do it. It says can't make an image of this disk.. no reason given. On the same computer with another disk that has windows 10, it works just fine, i can image it ok....
  8. How do I mount a Macrium disk image?

How do I mount a Macrium disk image?: The images I have are in the form: XXXXXX.mrimg. How do I mount an image so I can read and use individual files and folders? Thank you. 60278
  9. Macrium Reflect Is taking a long time to create an image

Macrium Reflect Is taking a long time to create an image: I am using Macrium Reflect Free to create an image of my WD portable hard drive. It has about 1TB worth of files on it. I installed the latest version of Macrium Reflect and used all the default settings to make the backup. It has been 1.5 hours so far and is 7% complete. At...
  10. Macrium viBoot - Create Virtual Machine using Macrium Image

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Macrium viBoot - Create Virtual Machine using Macrium Image: How to: Macrium viBoot - Create Virtual Machine using Macrium Image [img] Information I want to start with a very subjective, personal opinion: Macrium Reflect Free is the best available free imaging solution for Windows (download: Macrium Reflect Free). That being...