Windows 10: AMD Driver Crash Upon Playing Any Games - No Known Error

Discus and support AMD Driver Crash Upon Playing Any Games - No Known Error in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hello, I've constantly been getting seemingly random crashes of my AMD graphics drivers on many different versions (currently on 17.7.2) in any game I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by WolfLeader116, Oct 10, 2017.

1. AMD Driver Crash Upon Playing Any Games - No Known Error

Hello,
    I've constantly been getting seemingly random crashes of my AMD graphics drivers on many different versions (currently on 17.7.2) in any game I play. It generally occurs maybe an hour into gameplay, but can occur at other times as well including just minutes after launch to many hours in, or rarely, not at all. I've tried multiple times to remove the drivers and reinstall older versions that were known to be stable, but nothing seems to work. I'd rather not reinstall my operating system, and have been trying to save that as a last resort. The GPU idles at 55 degrees celsius and doesn't rise much above that when playing games oddly enough... I've taken off the shroud and blown compressed air through the fins and cleaned it out, but didn't remove the heatsink and reapply thermal compound. The GPU used to run cooler, so I'm not sure why it's running so hot, perhaps a setting changed somewhere prioritizing volume a bit more than temperature, no clue, but the fans are still working. The entire case is nice and dust free and has plenty of cooling, keeping most of the air inside at 30 degrees and the CPU, hard drives and motherboard not much hotter, or about the same. Just the graphics card is hot. The computer is also not overclocked, however XMP is enabled.
    Anything to try or perhaps some way to get error log files for the driver? I checked the event viewer and couldn't seem to find it, but maybe I just missed it.
    Thank you!

:)

WolfLeader116, Oct 10, 2017

2. I get a blue screen " System thread exception not handled " .

Done all of this.

Started in safe mode, unistalled drivers. But could not install graphic drivers for AMD HD series 5000

using AMD catalyst install manager. It show me some errors.

And I could not find only drivers without this catalyst manager.

So I unistalled drivers, and restarted laptop in normal mode, and than installed new drivers using AMD catalyst install manager.

And than started game, but after 30 minutes it got crashed again, and there was this BSOD again.

Same as before.

If I dont play any game, just using browsers or do anything else, laptop wont crash no matter how long it is turned on.

Gethrodrak, Oct 10, 2017
  3. Memory Management BSOD

I have received this error upon playing memory-intensive games.

I have found that Win7 dealt with this issue, and didn't crash at all. What's going on...?

Euler271828, Oct 10, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

AMD Driver Crash Upon Playing Any Games - No Known Error

Hello,

This may not be a blue screen of death but we have a log collector script that provides many useful files for troubleshooting crashes.

Please use this and it might allow us to explore possible causes. Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions

philc43, Oct 10, 2017
  5. Plankton Win User
    I think it's your RAM causing the issue....just from reading all the info out there about the Ryzen series CPU's with RAM limitations on the frequencies going over 2400 mhz. Even though your mobo supports higher RAM speeds....the CPU is the key determining factor. You should check you CPU specs for RAM compatibility.

In the mean time....manually set your XMP to 2400mhz and see if that works.

Support for DDR4 3200(O.C.)/2933(O.C.)/2667*/2400/2133 MHz memory modules​

Plankton, Oct 10, 2017
  6. Ah got it. Wasn't sure if there'd be anything useful from that as it's not a BSOD.
    Just a note, this was run after lowering my RAM speed, if that makes any difference.
    I attached the log files.
    Alright. Looked it up and it says my CPU supports up to 2667MHz, so I set my RAM to run at 2666MHz (timings never work out and my board runs everything 1MHz slow AMD Driver Crash Upon Playing Any Games - No Known Error :p Or maybe that's an AM4 thing, idk)
    So I'll see if it's still having issues for a day or two at least.

Just a note, even Windows seems to be happier with the lower RAM speeds as the task manager now properly displays 2666MHz instead of the default 800MHz that I seem to always get with XMP on two boards now. (AM3+ and this AM4)

Update: Driver still crashed so I dropped it down to 2400MHz now.

WolfLeader116, Oct 11, 2017
  7. Plankton Win User
    Never heard of SolidWorks Fast Start before.........I would disable that or uninstall it (it's not needed).

Have you updated your Logitech Gaming software?

The Gigabyte App Center software.....do you use it, if not I would uninstall it. I find it cumbersome and most of the time it tries to install older/outdated drivers then the most current ones. I don't use it at all with my Gigabyte board.

If you don't use onedrive or onenote....I would turn them off from startup. I would also check your startup programs for whatever else you don't need to run at startup and turn off what you don't need.

Plankton, Oct 11, 2017
  8. AMD Driver Crash Upon Playing Any Games - No Known Error

Solidworks Fast Start is a program used to help startup Solidworks faster, as the name implies. Solidworks is CAD software, for 3D modeling generally for business applications. Especially thanks to the price tag of $4000+ (Unless you get it free from a school or business like in my case AMD Driver Crash Upon Playing Any Games - No Known Error :p)

I just use the Gigabyte software for the LEDs. But it doesn't seem to perform any updates other than to itself.

Also I forgot to disable the OneNote clipping thing, but other than that, nothing in startup should be affecting system stability. I'm thinking it was probably the RAM speeds as I haven't seen a crash since dropping them to the maximum specified for Corsair modules.

WolfLeader116, Oct 11, 2017
  9. Plankton Win User
    Great to hear on the RAM.

As far as the Gigabyte App goes......it's a personal choice to install/use.....I find it to be a system resource hog and a unnecessary system startup program. And as stated tends to update drivers incorrectly....personal experience.

Plankton, Oct 11, 2017
  10. Nope, didn't solve the problem, but it may have helped. I seem to be crashing less frequently, but I did still crash after a couple hours of gameplay. It only seems to happen in games too, so I was thinking it may be a certain function that games all try to run, but I'm not sure what would be consistent from the variety of games I've tested... I've tried anything from Assassins Creed IV to Overwatch to Minecraft to BeamNG.drive. Variety of game engines, with Minecraft being especially different from the others, but they all experienced a crash or two at least in a couple hours. Although, one thing I noticed was that in Overwatch and BeamNG.drive, crashes were so infrequent they were almost negligible, while in AC4 and Minecraft, they occurred pretty frequently. No clue... I don't even get that little "Your display driver has crashed and was recovered" message that Windows usually gives. Everything just freezes, the screen gets a massive tear and it goes back to normal, with any game that was running either being invisible or white as it can't reinitialize the graphics engine...

WolfLeader116, Oct 12, 2017
  11. Plankton Win User
    This is a classic sign of a GPU issue and normally it's associated to an overheating issue.....normally that is. Worst case scenario, it could be that the GPU is just going bad.

I had a AMD 4850 that did the same thing.....started out exactly as yours was doing. I tore the GPU apart and replaced all the thermal paste and added thermal pads over the VRM's. It worked for about 4 months and it started doing the same thing again and more frequently. I ended up just replacing it.

Is your GPU still under warranty? If so I would strongly suggest that you contact Asus and see what can be done about fixing it or replacing it.

Plankton, Oct 12, 2017
  12. Stress testing my GPU, it seems to stabilize around 74 degrees, which is still around 10 degrees higher than when it was new and I even just cleaned it. Not really that bad, but I don't know why it doesn't try to cool itself better. The frequency drops at very random intervals looking at one graph, but looking at the graph on the stress test, there's a clear pattern (in the temperature, which follows the frequency pretty well) and it shows in the FPS too.

I attached a screenshot of the graphs on both the stress test as well as the AMD control software. I'm not sure why the card throttles instead of increasing fan speed though as it's hardly hitting 50% fan speed... When I increase the fan speed to full manually, the temperature quickly drops down to 62 degrees or so and performance stabilizes... So... partially bad thermal conductivity of the GPU I think in addition to stupid software. Not sure if the heat was the cause of the crashes though, although I'm thinking it was... AMD Driver Crash Upon Playing Any Games - No Known Error :p

EDIT: Just contacted ASUS. Hoping they'll be able to replace it for me as from what I've read, there's a 36 month (3 year) limited warranty...

WolfLeader116, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

AMD Driver Crash Upon Playing Any Games - No Known Error

1. AMD Driver Crash Upon Playing Any Games - No Known Error - Similar Threads - AMD Driver Crash

2. AMD driver error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    AMD driver error: iam using windows 11 and when i treying to install AMD drivers it says could not write value to /Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run . verify you have access to that key any solutions??...
  3. 0xc0000005 error upon starting any online game?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    0xc0000005 error upon starting any online game?: just as title says i get an access violation after 5 or so minutes. ive tried most fixes and even factory restarted with no success https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/0xc0000005-error-upon-starting-any-online-game/e2954c8d-a4fb-49cc-b349-375983491cf1
  4. 0xc0000005 error upon starting any online game?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    0xc0000005 error upon starting any online game?: just as title says i get an access violation after 5 or so minutes. ive tried most fixes and even factory restarted with no success https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/0xc0000005-error-upon-starting-any-online-game/e2954c8d-a4fb-49cc-b349-375983491cf1
  5. AMD driver keeps crashing when playing games on PC

in Windows 10 News
    AMD driver keeps crashing when playing games on PC: [IMG]AMD is among the popular graphics card manufacturers. The graphics card manufactured by AMD provides gamers with a superb gaming experience. A graphics card is a piece of hardware that is responsible for rendering images and displaying high-quality photos and videos....
  6. Blue Screen upon trying to play ANY xbox game pass game.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue Screen upon trying to play ANY xbox game pass game.: This is frustrating I have looked at all the different forum posts associated with this. I have over 100 steam games and have 0 issues but Microsoft Store seems to have issues. I cannot even get the mindump files to generate from the BSOD. I have checked all settings and...
  7. Blue Screen upon trying to play ANY xbox game pass game.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blue Screen upon trying to play ANY xbox game pass game.: This is frustrating I have looked at all the different forum posts associated with this. I have over 100 steam games and have 0 issues but Microsoft Store seems to have issues. I cannot even get the mindump files to generate from the BSOD. I have checked all settings and...
  8. AMD drivers error

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    AMD drivers error: I hope someone can help with the following issues. I am getting the message ‘No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly. Please install the AMD driver appropriate for your AMD hardware.’ This is preventing my graphics card to...
  9. Periodic AMD Driver Crashes at Random Intervals While Playing Games

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Periodic AMD Driver Crashes at Random Intervals While Playing Games: Hello, As is written in my computer specifications, I am running an ASUS AMD Radeon R9 380 with 4GB GDDR5, I am running it with no overclock and on stock settings in AMD's Radeon Settings application. In normal use (web browsing, listening to music, programming, etc), my...
  10. Periodic AMD Driver Crashes at Random Intervals While Playing Games

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Periodic AMD Driver Crashes at Random Intervals While Playing Games: Hello, As is written in my computer specifications, I am running an ASUS AMD Radeon R9 380 with 4GB GDDR5, I am running it with no overclock and on stock settings in AMD's Radeon Settings application. In normal use (web browsing, listening to music, programming, etc), my...