Windows 10: AMD Radeon HD7700 - Stuck at 640 x 480 Resolution

Discus and support AMD Radeon HD7700 - Stuck at 640 x 480 Resolution in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I have a Dell 8500 that I recently upgraded from Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional to Windows 10 Professional. The upgrade went smooth but after a few... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by PLCMAN58, Aug 8, 2015.

1. PLCMAN58 Win User

AMD Radeon HD7700 - Stuck at 640 x 480 Resolution

I have a Dell 8500 that I recently upgraded from Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional to Windows 10 Professional. The upgrade went smooth but after a few days the system would only boot with a resolution of 640x480. The AMD Radeon HD 7700 is connected via DisplayPort to a Dell U2312HM monitor.

I tried every solution that I could find on the Web and still could not resolve the issue. I did a complete uninstall of the latest AMD Windows 10 Drivers. Since the resolution was stuck at 640x480 I was unable to re-install the drivers.

Based on a suggestion from one Windows TenForums I was going to attempt to use another connections on the Dell U2312M monitor. This monitor has a DisplayPort, Mini Display Port and a DVI.

I unplugged the DisplayPort Cable from the AMD Radeon HD 7700 to get a better look at the available connectors. The video card has a DVI, DDMI and DisplayPort. Since I did not have a long enough cable to go to the monitor I plugged the DisplayPort cable back in.

When I re-started the computer the resolution was back to the 1920 x 1080.

I checked with two other friends that were having similar issues with a Dell and HP computer stuck at 640 x 480 and removing an reinserting the DisplayPort Cable. I suspect I would have had the same results if I powered down both the computer and the monitor. In all case the monitors and computers had not been powered down at the same time.

Hope this helps someone.

:)

PLCMAN58, Aug 8, 2015
  2. Grumpy043 Win User

Windows 10 - Can't change resolution after waking from sleep

I am experiencing the exact same problem with a slightly different configuration.

Recently installed Windows 10 on a new SSD drive (did not upgrade Windows) and a installed a new NVIDA GeForce GTX 960. Using dual monitors (Dell U2312HM) and connecting them to the machine with two display port cables.

Running the latest NVIDIA driver 361.43 using the NVIDIA GeFroce Experience app and Windows 10 has all the updates applied.

Windows 10 was installed on December 25th and this has happened twice between Dec 25th and Jan 3rd. The solution is to unplug and re-plug the monitor for it to be recognized as a monitor that can have it's resolution changed. When it happens again I can
    follow up with a very detailed description.

Edit:

Here are links to discussions that seem to be related:

AMD Radeon HD7700 - Stuck at 640 x 480 Resolution Solved - Windows 10 Forums

DELL U2412M Monitor Doesn't Works on Windows 10

DELL U2412M Monitor Doesn't Works on Windows 10

Google search of related keywords at site:en.community.dell.com. (many of these posts could be related)

Windows 10 dual monitor 640X480 nvidia display port site:en.community.dell.com - Recherche Google

Grumpy043, Aug 8, 2015
  3. want to know actual background wallpaper size of 240 x 320?

Finally i got these information...

Actual resolution 240 x 320 Wallpaper size 240 x 268
    Actual resolution 240 x 400 Wallpaper size 240 x 348
    Actual resolution 320 x 240 Wallpaper size 320 x 188
    Actual resolution 480 x 640 Wallpaper size 480 x 536
    Actual resolution 480 x 800 Wallpaper size 480 x 748

ganesh1209, Aug 8, 2015
  4. PLCMAN58 Win User

The problem re-occurs about every two weeks. The only way to recover is to unplug the DisplayPort cable from the video plug. I am going to try replacing the cable to see if that makes a difference. Powering down the monitor and computer does not correct the issue.

I have the latest AMD Radeon drivers installed and Windows 10 Pro has been updated with the latest patches.

PLCMAN58, Aug 28, 2015
  5. tinmar49 Win User
    A DVI cable is cheap on ebay and would eliminate any worries over connection with the DP.

tinmar49, Aug 30, 2015
  6. I had the exact same problem with Windows 10 with a AMD Radeon HD 7700 and a Dell Ultrasharp monitor on a display port connection, unplugging it fixed it. Thank you!

I previously tried re-installing the latest AMD Catalyst drivers to fix the solution.

ProgrammerGuy, Sep 12, 2015
  7. Steerpike Win User
    Thank you very much for posting this, I had the same problem with Nvidia GTX660 and restart, uninstall hardware, update driver etc etc had no effect, unplugging the cable immediately fixed the problem.

I should add that the monitor is a Dell 2412M and it now appears that the problem lies with the monitor DisplayPort firmware.

Steerpike, Sep 13, 2015
  8. PLCMAN58 Win User

My computer keeps reverting back to 640x480 and I am getting tired to un-plugging and plugging in the DisplayPort cable to fix the issue. I am now connected via a DVI cable . The monitor is a Dell U2312HM.

PLCMAN58, Sep 16, 2015
  9. barney911 Win User
    Hi,

I'm new to the forum and found this thread, as I have the same problem with my Dell PC and Dell U2312HM monitor connected via DP cable.

How I ran into the problem: I recently switched from using a VGA cable to using a DP cable. This worked fine for some weeks. A few days ago suddenly the problem showed up when re-activating the computer from sleep mode.

Reading through the thread I can confirm the problem goes away only by unplugging + replugging the DP cable or by unplugging the power cable from the monitor. But as soon as I send my system to sleep and wake it up again, the problem back *Sad

UPDATE: I installed a new Intel graphics driver. It seems at the very moment the problem is gone. At least I had to reboot the system and tried some sleep-wakeup cycles to check, if the problem comes back.

Still my question: Do I understand correctly that the root cause of the problem is with the Dell monitor firmware for displayport? Why would a graphics driver update then fix the problem?!? (I'm sceptical.)

Thanks,
    barney

barney911, Nov 11, 2015
  10. spapakons Win User
    Probably the graphics card doesn't communicate with the monitor properly through the DisplayPort when trying to determine the native resolution. Assuming it has to do with a very basic monitor, it reverts to 640x480 for compatibility. Updating the drivers could eliminate any bugs and fix the problem. Also see if there is any firmware to update the monitor.

spapakons, Nov 11, 2015
  11. barney911 Win User
    Mhm, this could be an explaination. I was searching for a firmware update, but couldn't find anything in this regards. Let's see if just updating the graphics driver now works permanently or if the problem comes back.

Thanks a lot for the additional advice.

barney911, Nov 11, 2015
  12. drrafa Win User
    Spent some time trying to solve this. Did a lot of changing video drivers but it all solved after unplugging and rebooting.
    First time it happend to me.
    radeon 7830 and dell ultra sharp, vai display port.

drrafa, Nov 17, 2015
  13. spapakons Win User

Not surprising. I have read in other posts that Windows 10 have compatibility issues with display port. You can try HDMI or DVI instead which has no issues.

spapakons, Nov 17, 2015
  14. barney911 Win User
    So for me, the problem is back. It is not resolved. Unplugging the screen helps. Rebooting the system does not help.

I'd love to get feedback from a Dell engineer, since I am using an all-Dell system. Well the on-board graphics is Intel.

But the last I read is that this is a problem with Windows 10 and display port?

barney911, Nov 18, 2015
  15. spapakons Win User
    Yes, it seems that Windows 10 and Display port are not 100% compatible yet (depends on drivers). Try HDMI or DVI instead. What's the benefit of using DP anyway?

spapakons, Nov 18, 2015
Thema:

1. AMD Radeon HD7700 - Stuck at 640 x 480 Resolution - Similar Threads - AMD Radeon HD7700

2. 2nd Monitor resolution is 640*480 and won't let me change it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2nd Monitor resolution is 640*480 and won't let me change it: I have a second monitor that was working perfectly fine last week, and now it is extremely zoomed in and won't let me change the display settings as it is greyed out. I run AMD Radeon, have uninstalled, reinstalled new device drivers, updated to windows 11, reset to windows...
  3. 2nd Monitor resolution is 640*480 and won't let me change it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    2nd Monitor resolution is 640*480 and won't let me change it: I have a second monitor that was working perfectly fine last week, and now it is extremely zoomed in and won't let me change the display settings as it is greyed out. I run AMD Radeon, have uninstalled, reinstalled new device drivers, updated to windows 11, reset to windows...
  4. The resolution of my external display is set to 640 x 480. How do I manually configure it...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The resolution of my external display is set to 640 x 480. How do I manually configure it...: It is an ASUS Model VS228 version VS228H-P display. It has displayed correctly before, I'm not sure what caused the change. I am making the changes on a Gateway GWNR71517-BL running an up to date version of Windows 11 Home edition. The day I noticed this effect I had updated...
  5. The resolution of my external display is set to 640 x 480. How do I manually configure it...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The resolution of my external display is set to 640 x 480. How do I manually configure it...: It is an ASUS Model VS228 version VS228H-P display. It has displayed correctly before, I'm not sure what caused the change. I am making the changes on a Gateway GWNR71517-BL running an up to date version of Windows 11 Home edition. The day I noticed this effect I had updated...
  6. Xbox One gets stuck on 640×480 resolution

in Windows 10 News
    Xbox One gets stuck on 640×480 resolution: [ATTACH]Some users are not able to change the resolution of the Xbox One after connecting it to their TV. According to them, the screen resolution gets stuck on 640 x 480. When they try to change the resolution, they find no screen resolution available in the drop-down other...
  7. AMD Radeon HD7700 Series Driver automatically gets installed in windows10 Pro and caused...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    AMD Radeon HD7700 Series Driver automatically gets installed in windows10 Pro and caused...: AMD Radeon HD7700 Series Driver automatically gets installed in windows10 Pro and caused the system to Freeze. On manually forced shutdown by holding the power button for 5 seconds shut down the PC.System detail: OS Edition: Windows 10 ProfessionalVersion: 2009OS Build:...
  8. AMD Radeon HD7700 Series Driver automatically gets installed in windows10 Pro and caused...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    AMD Radeon HD7700 Series Driver automatically gets installed in windows10 Pro and caused...: AMD Radeon HD7700 Series Driver automatically gets installed in windows10 Pro and caused the system to Freeze. On manually forced shutdown by holding the power button for 5 seconds shut down the PC.System detail: OS Edition: Windows 10 ProfessionalVersion: 2009OS Build:...
  9. 1024*768 faster than 640*480

in Windows 10 Gaming
    1024*768 faster than 640*480: Hey, so I encountered a weird thing while playing counter strike source.So i actually turned down all my graphics settings to low and set the resolution to 1024*768 and i was getting fps not dropping below 200so i thought that running at 640*480 there will be some slight...
  10. Stuck in 640 X 480

in Windows 10 Customization
    Stuck in 640 X 480: Troubleshooting a Rockwell program it was suggested to try starting 640 X 480. When that didn't work I unchecked the box for this and the app still starts in 640 X 480. Any suggestions?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. amd raedon displays stuck at 640 by 480