Windows 10: AMD update confusion

Discus and support AMD update confusion in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I just upgraded a laptop from Windows 7 to 10. I have heard that if you have an AMD processor there is an update to help prevent problems. In my search... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by copiman, Mar 9, 2018.

1. copiman Win User

AMD update confusion

I just upgraded a laptop from Windows 7 to 10. I have heard that if you have an AMD processor there is an update to help prevent problems. In my search I have read articles that there is a fix for not booting (blue screen). The laptop will boot, but takes a while to do so (too long in my opinion). Is the long boot associated with the AMD and Windows 10 issue? If so, does anyone know the KB number that corrects it? If not, any ideas on the slow boot?

:)

copiman, Mar 9, 2018

2. Windows 10

Hey Mark,

Thanks a lot. I did that and even downloaded the latest beta driver for AMD Radeon 7400 M ( beta driver because AMD no longer wishes to provide updates to the driver) and installed it. But still no improvement. I am totally confused because its taking nearly
    2 minutes to boot.

vinaytelkar, Mar 9, 2018
  3. Getting 1709 update for "amd64-based Systems" despite Intel chip

No, it's merely someone making a name change and not understanding that it's confusing. AMD was the inventor of the 64bit platform, it does not imply that's it for a different chipset.

Susan Bradley - volunteer here not a MS employee, Mar 9, 2018
  4. cereberus Win User

AMD update confusion

This is not amd related. Do a clean install and your problems will probably be solved.

cereberus, Mar 9, 2018
  5. CountMike New Member
    Slow BOOT is most often associated with slow disk. There are 3 parts of BOOT process,
    1. Time spent in BIOS (from start button until OS starts loading).
    2. Time for OS loading (in Windows, the rotating circle on the screen until Sign in screen)
    3. Time from Sign in to full desktop use.

Distinguishing where the slowdown occurs would be first step in troubleshooting BOT sequence and times. Btw. what is your "unacceptable" BOOT time from Start button to fully usable desktop ?

CountMike, Mar 9, 2018
  6. copiman Win User
    Not sure how to answer. From power on it take 2 minutes exactly to get to log in. Once I log in the desktop comes up in a couple seconds. I was thinking 2 minutes seems high.

copiman, Mar 9, 2018
  7. Berton Win User
    When one considers the OS has to read the BIOS at boot-up from a cold shutdown to determine resources available and load the information into memory the 2 minutes doesn't seem excessive. I have never had a NEW Intel-based Desktop computer to compare with [had gotten a new Dell Notebook with Intel] preferring to build with AMD-based hardware. A bigger concern would be the same length process when doing a Restart from a running Windows.

Berton, Mar 9, 2018
  8. copiman Win User

AMD update confusion

A restart to almost 3 minutes. Since I just did a FREE upgrade to 10 from 7, could i use an ISO to do a clean install? Trying not to do a clean install but if its the only choice, I guess it is what it is.

copiman, Mar 9, 2018
  9. Bree New Member
    Check the edition (Home or Pro) and activation in Settings > Update & Security > Activation. If it says "Activated with a digital license..." then yes, you can do a clean install - but it must be the same edition as before. A digital license is only valid for one edition and won't activate a different one. It is however valid for both 32 and 64 bit versions of that edition.

Bree, Mar 9, 2018
  10. copiman Win User
    Thanks for the clarification. I found whats causing the slow boot. Its the AMD graphics. I disabled the drivers and it boots in 5 seconds. Now I have to find the solution. The 2 things I disabled are:

AMD Radeon 6600M and 6700 series
    AMD RadeonHD 6620G

copiman, Mar 9, 2018
  11. CountMike New Member
    Those are under "Legacy drivers", look up at AMD site.

CountMike, Mar 9, 2018
  12. copiman Win User
    This is all I can find on the drivers
    Legacy

Does not install the drivers. I know the drivers are causing the slow boot. Without them I have no option except to go back to Windows 7.

copiman, Mar 9, 2018
  13. CountMike New Member

AMD update confusion

So, which drivers is it working now with ? Basic MS drivers ?

CountMike, Mar 9, 2018
  14. copiman Win User
    AMD update confusion [​IMG]

Windows update installed the original drivers. The download from AMD loads other stuff, not the driver. If I try to update them it says they are the best drivers. Totally lost.

copiman, Mar 9, 2018
  15. CountMike New Member
    Check properties for every driver, should show version and date.

CountMike, Mar 10, 2018
Thema:

AMD update confusion

1. AMD update confusion - Similar Threads - AMD update confusion

2. 22H2 Update Confusion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    22H2 Update Confusion: Yesterday the 22H2 update became available for my machine currently on Windows 11 Home 21H2. Tried to update through Windows update, stalled at 8% downloaded, after 2 hours of waiting, put it on pause because of other commitments, planning to retry updating this evening when...
  3. 22H2 Update Confusion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    22H2 Update Confusion: Yesterday the 22H2 update became available for my machine currently on Windows 11 Home 21H2. Tried to update through Windows update, stalled at 8% downloaded, after 2 hours of waiting, put it on pause because of other commitments, planning to retry updating this evening when...
  4. AMD Driver update confusion

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    AMD Driver update confusion: I have a laptop with AMD Ryzen 5 3500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfxseen from system properties so can I install Auto-Detect and Install Updates for Radeon™ Graphics and Ryzen™ Chipset Drivers for Windows®. Do it update AMD Radeon settings lite software also? Is that safe?...
  5. Confused about Updates

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Confused about Updates: Hi, I've spent a few hours this morning trying to update Windows then furiously back-peddle after reading horror stories online - throw in a Repairing Disc Errors screen... you get the idea. But I'm confused about what I should do now. Under Windows Update I have: Feature...
  6. Ridiculous update confusion

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Ridiculous update confusion: Why is updating a total clusterfuk? Why doesn't it just update? I have no clue why it has downloaded but doesn't install. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ridiculous-update-confusion/3624abb9-64b5-4815-8406-25b787deb954
  7. Windows Update confusion

Windows Update confusion: In Windows Update, a scan reports that "It looks like all available updates are installed and your PC is up to date" including 2019-07 Cumulative Update KB4505903. Yet Windows Update also indicates that KB4505903 is available and has links to "download and install now". How...
  8. Update confusion

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update confusion: I have update KB4034674 (Build 15063.540) successfully install on 8/8/2017. Then on 8/13/2017 KB4032188 (Build 15063.502) failed to install 6 times. Since KB4032188 is an earlier build I assume that's why it failed. However, why would it even try to install at all since it's...
  9. Updates confusion

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updates confusion: In my taskbar, I have a Windows Defender Security Centre shield, constantly showing a red cross over it. I click on it and it takes me to Settings, Windows Update, which shows .. Updates are available • 2018-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based...
  10. Creator Update confusion

Creator Update confusion: When I look at Settings/System/About, it tells me that I'm on Version 1703. When I go into Windows Update and look at Update History, it tells me that 1709 has been installed but needs a reboot to finish installing. I've rebooted twice but the version in About still tells me...