Windows 10: An old friend (W2k3 Server) ends support soon

Discus and support An old friend (W2k3 Server) ends support soon in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there probably IMO the best server Ms ever designed - and in version 2 you can use > 4GB even though it's "technically" a 32 bit OS. XP was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Feb 25, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

An old friend (W2k3 Server) ends support soon

Hi there

probably IMO the best server Ms ever designed - and in version 2 you can use > 4GB even though it's "technically" a 32 bit OS.

XP was based on it (in fact all XP stuff still runs on it) and it makes for an outstanding Virtual server.

Anyway it's time to move on -- I just hope the Modern Ms servers are just as good - I gave up on W2008 server, 2012 server seemed OK but a bit fiddly and I'm not sure about 2016 server -- the new licensing stuff seems totally out of order for a home lab etc. With W2k3 server you got 4 CALS with the server (or it would work with 4 clients - without any extra fee being needed. I still have the keys from TechNet so I might have a go with this on W10 as a VM.

Incidentally - not bonkers --here's a way to make W2K3 server into a really good Worksation OS -- normally Servers aren't really suitable as a workstation OS.

How to convert your Windows Server 2003... to a Workstation!

I might look at similar articles on using W2016 server as a workstation too.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 25, 2016
  2. mkj2008 Win User

E71 Can't delete VPN Policies

Nokia Mobile VPN client does not support L2TP/IPsec so you can not configure it with W2K or W2K3 servers.

Next Windows Server 2008 R2 supports IKEv2/IPsec and that is also supported in Nokia Mobile VPN.

mkj2008, Feb 25, 2016
  3. E90-Browser and MS Outlook Web Access (OWA)

The more i think about it, the more i believe it might be a certificate problem, because i cannot install the w2k3-self-issued-server-cert on my E90. I copied it onto my phone, but the E90-file-manager always says "file format not supported".

BTW: is this group moderated or watched by nokia technicians?

Tillmann Cordes

tillmann_cordes, Feb 25, 2016
  4. An old friend (W2k3 Server) ends support soon

I never understood the point of those guides. All you are doing is making the Server OS run more like the Workstation OS that already exists. Why buy a bus and convert it in to something close to a sedan, when you could just buy the sedan? You'd also run into plenty of compatibility issues, such as AV software identifying it as a Server OS.

Server 2003 was a good product, but Server 2008, especially R2, is an excellent product.

DeaconFrost, Feb 25, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there.

Server 2008 was a DOG -- if you needed to run any sort of VM on it that needed SOUND then W2008 was a non starter -- I don't think they ever got Sound fixed in W2008 server. If you are dishing up VM's running on a W2008 server you will need Sound for a lot of clients. USB passthru to VM's was also problematical as well.

They did fix both those issues in W2012 server however.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 25, 2016
  6. I'd call that an extremely unique situation and doesn't mean 2008 was bad in any way. For typical server usage, it was and is a great product.

DeaconFrost, Feb 25, 2016
  7. Because the 2003/XP x64 kernel was more sound and stable on supported hardware than was the x86 version of XP.

Now Jimbo, support ended for Server 2003 on July 15, 2015. I have had no updates since then. But yes the Datacentre version could use up to 32 GB "directly" in PAE mode. Mind you, I found the OS takes a slight performance hit when you do that. Still cool though.

Jody Thornton, Feb 26, 2016
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there
    Running a load of VM's from a decent server isn't so unique - and people do like sound on their VM's.

For instance at work we connect to some type of Virtual Desktop Infrastructure and often use things like LYNC or other desktop sharing / remote communication software -- Sound support is needed for things like skype etc.

The VDI is particularly useful since people connect all sorts of front ends including Macbooks (quite popular) so installing all the software locally on zillions of PC's doesn't make sense when it can all be done on the corporate servers -- probably hosted on the Cloud on the other side of the Planet.

W2012 server fixes those issues.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 26, 2016
  9. Never saw that before, or a need for it. I came from a company that used 6 VMs to one that uses 125 VMs, and not one of them had sound. When you look at your typical server tasks, sound just doesn't come up.

DeaconFrost, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. An old friend (W2k3 Server) ends support soon - Similar Threads - old friend W2k3

2. End of support for Cortana

in Windows 10 Gaming
    End of support for Cortana: While the decision to phase out Cortana may have disappointed some users, it's important to recognize that Microsoft is continually evolving its products to meet the changing needs of its customers. Here are some reasons why bringing back Cortana might still be...
  3. End of support for Cortana

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    End of support for Cortana: While the decision to phase out Cortana may have disappointed some users, it's important to recognize that Microsoft is continually evolving its products to meet the changing needs of its customers. Here are some reasons why bringing back Cortana might still be...
  4. End of support

in Windows 10 Gaming
    End of support: I'm just here to ask a question. Microsoft ignored the petition of FSF about recycle windows 7 life? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/end-of-support/9f793981-113d-466c-8f67-598737a02d32
  5. End of support

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    End of support: I'm just here to ask a question. Microsoft ignored the petition of FSF about recycle windows 7 life? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/end-of-support/9f793981-113d-466c-8f67-598737a02d32
  6. End of service soon

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    End of service soon: I turned my pc on this morning and saw that "your version of Windows 10 will reach end of service soon..." so I clicked on it and updated it, then restart my PC, and it still says the same message; what do I do? Sorry for the repost, I flaired the post wrong, thank you to...
  7. Silverlight End of Support

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Silverlight End of Support: 1 Can I check for SDK Silverlight and Silverlight development tools installers, will all these be removed as well? 2 If we retain the existing old installers, can we still use these installers to install on a new windows server/machine? 3 Apart from security patches that...
  8. Stinks Windows 7 Support Has To come to end Pretty Soon :(

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Stinks Windows 7 Support Has To come to end Pretty Soon :(: Windows 7 has been around for a while. My Uncle still has a windows 7 laptop which is crazy and cool. I have a Windows 10. My Uncle had windows 7 for more then 8 years. His laptop still works OK but with red screen. Once in a while it starts to make a red screen. We will...
  9. End of support guidance for Windows Server & SQL Server 2008 and R2

in Windows 10 News
    End of support guidance for Windows Server & SQL Server 2008 and R2: End of support is coming for two commonly deployed server products. Now is the ideal time to upgrade, modernize and transform to current versions of SQL Server, Windows Server and Azure services for more security, performance and innovation. In this video, you'll learn where...
  10. Exchange Server 2007—end of support coming next year

in Windows 10 News
    Exchange Server 2007—end of support coming next year: Last week marked one year until Exchange Server 2007 reaches the end of its support lifecycle. Customers who are using Exchange Server 2007 for any of their email and calendar services should begin planning to move the associated mailbox data and resources to Office 365 or...