Windows 10: An operating system wasn’t found after Windows 10 upgrade attempt

Discus and support An operating system wasn’t found after Windows 10 upgrade attempt in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Dell e6510 that was running Windows 7 Pro. I received the windows 10 upgrade after reserving a copy a few weeks back. Before the updated I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SuperCycle, Aug 20, 2015.

1. An operating system wasn’t found after Windows 10 upgrade attempt

I have a Dell e6510 that was running Windows 7 Pro. I received the windows 10 upgrade after reserving a copy a few weeks back. Before the updated I made sure my windows update was up to date. I kicked off the upgrade to Windows 10 and left for work. (I figured everything would be updated by the time I got home). When I got home I checked my laptop and saw the error, "An operating system wasn’t found. Try disconnecting any drives that don’t contain an operating system, Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart". I shut down the computer for about 15 minutes and turned it back on. Still received the same error. I only have one drive in the laptop so I had nothing to disconnect. I inserted my Windows 7 Pro Disk in the drive and did a LEGACY BOOT from the CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive.
    The Windows 7 Menu came up and I hit next and was given to options

• Install Now
    • Repair your computer.
    I selected repair your computer. System recovery options appeared and I selected restore your computer. Then I received an error saying “To use system restore, you must select which windows installation to restore. Restart this computer, select and operating system, and then select system restore.
    I closed the window and let the computer restart. Received the error "An operating system wasn’t found. Try disconnecting any drives that don’t contain an operating system, Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart"
    Since I have another laptop running Windows 10, I created a USB Boot Disk and inserted it in the computer. Restarted and let the computer boot into Windows 10 menu. I had two choices

• Install now
    • Repair your computer
    I did option 2 and had two menu options

• Troubleshoot
    • Turn off your PC
    I choose option 1 and then advanced options, then Startup Repair. Received the error “Startup Repair couldn’t repair your PC Press “Advanced Options” to try other options to repair your PC or “Shut down” to turn off your PC. To make a long story short I’ve tried every option and NOTHING WORKs. My Dell E6510 is now a paper weight and it was my PRIMARY computer.!!! HELP ME!!!!!

I did try the command prompt and it went to X:/Sources>. I typed DISKPART and then list volume and I could see this

Volume #### Ltr Label FS Type Size Status
    Volume 1 E FAT Partition 39MG Healthy
    Volume 2 C Recovery NTFS Partition 14GB Healthy
    Volume 3 F OS NTFS Partition 451GB Healthy
    Is there any way to recover my data and get an operating system working again? My computer was working fine before the upgrade attempt.

:)

SuperCycle, Aug 20, 2015

2. I upgraded from windows 7 to 10. after a few day I rebooted and can no longer find the operating system

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Do let us know the following to assist you better:

• What is the complete error message of this issue?
    • Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • Are you able to access the desktop?
    • Have you updated all the device drivers after upgrading to Windows 10?

As there are different error notifications related to this issue like: "Missing operating system" and "An operating system wasn’t found".

If you are getting the error “An operating system wasn’t found”. If you are seeing “An operating system wasn’t found” please see Knowledge Base article

For reference: “Missing operating system” error when upgrading
    to Windows 10

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 20, 2015
  3. "Missing operating system" after clean install of Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for responding.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing issues with upgrading to Windows 10.

Do let us know if you have tried the troubleshooting steps being provided by Akheel Ahmed in the above post?

If not yet tried I suggest you to follow the below:

As there are different error notifications related to this issue like: "Missing operating system" and "An operating system wasn’t found".

If you are getting the error “An operating system wasn’t found”. If you are seeing “An operating system wasn’t found” please see Knowledge Base article

For reference: “Missing
    operating system” error when upgrading to Windows 10

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 20, 2015
  4. Bazz Win User

An operating system wasn’t found after Windows 10 upgrade attempt

If you have any files on the drive you wish to keep I would boot from a lynux based live cd and have a look to see if they are recoverable. Then clean install your windows 7 deleting all partitions in the process.

Thema:

An operating system wasn’t found after Windows 10 upgrade attempt

1. An operating system wasn’t found after Windows 10 upgrade attempt - Similar Threads - operating system wasn’t

2. An operating system wasn’t found error in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    An operating system wasn’t found error in Windows 11/10: [IMG]This post features solutions to fix An operating system wasn’t found error in Windows 11/10. This error prevents your Windows device from booting up properly, leaving users searching for solutions to restore their operating system’s functionality. Fix An operating system...
  3. “An operating system wasn’t found” and deleting all files from laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    “An operating system wasn’t found” and deleting all files from laptop: Hello,I have an old HP Pavilion g6 laptop from 9 years ago that I want to recycle. I started the process through Windows 10 of resetting the laptop and wiping all of my data from it. However, I received error messages during the reset process, so it never completed. I took a...
  4. “An operating system wasn’t found” and deleting all files from laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    “An operating system wasn’t found” and deleting all files from laptop: Hello,I have an old HP Pavilion g6 laptop from 9 years ago that I want to recycle. I started the process through Windows 10 of resetting the laptop and wiping all of my data from it. However, I received error messages during the reset process, so it never completed. I took a...
  5. “An operating system wasn’t found” and deleting all files from laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. An operating system was not found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    An operating system was not found: Hello Yesterday I turned on my computer , turned it off , tried to boot from an external hard drive with windows 7 installed I was gonna check if it works and turned out it was crashingI was gonna format it using diskpart ,when again turned on my computer with the external...
  7. No operating system found

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No operating system found: I installed Ubuntu on a USB SSD some time ago, and then to make use of the SSD I later on formatted it, and put it directly in my system. At the time I didn't know that it wasn't the right way of doing it, and so my PC entered grub rescue mode every time the SSD was detected....
  8. Operating system wasn’t found

in Windows 10 Customization
    Operating system wasn’t found: When I turn on my computer how can I avoid getting the message “An operating system wasn’t found press any key to restart” https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/operating-system-wasnt-found/e68e6075-889c-4ac0-91cb-326be403600b
  9. “An operating system wasn’t found.” Pls help

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    “An operating system wasn’t found.” Pls help: When i turn the desktop on, it takes me to a screen with text that says “An operating system wasn’t found. Try disconnecting and drives that don’t contain an operating system. Press any key to restart” I press a key and new text apears saying “Reboot and Select proper Boot...
  10. Operating system not found

in Windows 10 Support
    Operating system not found: I have Sony Vaio I7, 8Gb memory. I do not have OS backup disk. I upgraded from 8 to 8.1 and then to 10. It has been running great. No problems. Use Kaspersky Internet Security. I shut down computer normally this morning. I powered back on this evening and there was a frown...