Windows 10: An unexpected error is keeping you from copying ...,error 0x80004005

Discus and support An unexpected error is keeping you from copying ...,error 0x80004005 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Greetings, I have a Dell Inspiron laptop which came with Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit pre-installed, and I installed Ubuntu 16.04.2 64-bit in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Vesnog, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Vesnog Win User

An unexpected error is keeping you from copying ...,error 0x80004005

Greetings,

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop which came with Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit pre-installed, and I installed Ubuntu 16.04.2 64-bit in dual-boot configuration alongside.

A shared Dropbox folder exists between the two OS and up to now everything was working flawlessly. Recently, when I tried to copy my Dropbox folder to an external HDD the process failed by throwing the error:

"An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the folder. If you continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem.

Error 0x80004005: Unspecified error"

I tried copying the Dropbox folder to another folder in the same drive (not an external one) and the problem persisted; the attached screenshot pertains to this case. The second screenshot is the permissions of the folder and the user account I use has the name Ongun.

What may be causing this issue and how can I resolve it? The filesystem is NTFS and doing the same folder operation in Ubuntu does not raise any errors.

:)

Vesnog, Jul 26, 2017

2. An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file. Error 0x80070057: the parameter is incorrect

I will try this only if/when the disk scanning options are exhausted. I currently have Active Partition Recovery doing a complete disk scan and if that fails I'll try letting CHKDSK do it's whole (very long) thing.

This is an external USB drive, and it giving the same error on three different Windows 10 computers so I don't think it's the system itself. It's something with the GPT boot sector of the drive, but a simple Scan and Repair is not working (failing with the
    above mentioned error message about shadow copy provider)

Any other suggestions? The disk still shows up in Explorer, I can still access the files...but like I said most disk analyzing software is showing it as a 756gb disk with a 2.73tb partition (which is obviously some kind of filesystem issue). If I could copy
    files from it I'd just copy them onto another drive and then re-initialize it but I can't currently copy my files off of it so I'm not willing to do that.

authormoreau, Jul 26, 2017
  3. An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file. Error 0x80070057: the parameter is incorrect

Okay, trying to copy files to or from my 3TB Seagate drive in a SATA dock.

- Tried multiple SATA docks

- Tried Windows scan/repair tool in explorer (it cannot repair the drive. log shows shadow copy provider had an error

- using various utilities (and Ubuntu's Gparted) shows the drive as 756gb instead of 3tb

- I can still access the files, but cannot copy them to another drive or copy files to the drive in question

- tried running chkdsk /f /r /x but after 2 hours it was at 140/7290 sectors. at that rate it will take weeks to scan

- even used Active Partition Recovery and it showed that the Copy Boot Sector was invalid. Copied the Primary Boot Sector to the Copy Boot Sector and all is showing in the green now...still no difference

- ran sfc /scannow and all system files are fine

I've spent an entire day working on this issue. I'm at my wit's end. What else is there left to do other than run a full CHKDSK which (on a 3tb drive) might take weeks??

authormoreau, Jul 26, 2017
  4. An unexpected error is keeping you from copying ...,error 0x80004005

Hi Vesnog. Welcome to the TenForums @Vesnog.

Have you tried a complete uninstall of dropbox on your windows side and then a complete install. I suggest as I had an issue with iCloud after a major update. Once re-installed it worked fine.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 27, 2017
  5. Vesnog Win User
    Dear Caledon,

I uninstalled Dropbox and restarted the computer to find out that the problem still persists.

Vesnog, Jul 27, 2017
  6. In addition to doing that, I would also try running sfc /scannow in an elevated command prompt to see if that comes up with any integrity violations.

ArazelEternal, Jul 27, 2017
  7. Vesnog Win User
    There were some corrupt files, but the scan did not resolve the issue.

An unexpected error is keeping you from copying ...,error 0x80004005 [​IMG]

Vesnog, Jul 27, 2017
  8. An unexpected error is keeping you from copying ...,error 0x80004005

This probably isnt going to help much either, but when dealing with any kind of issue, it never hurts to make sure the heart of the system is up to snuff.

In an elevated command prompt type:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

See what that does, if it finds anything and is able to fix it.

ArazelEternal, Jul 28, 2017
  9. Vesnog Win User
    Thanks for the recommendation. After doing that and the problem is still there, and the output is as follows:

An unexpected error is keeping you from copying ...,error 0x80004005 [​IMG]

Vesnog, Jul 28, 2017
  10. Hi Vesnog.

I would recommend that you run an in-place repair / upgrade. This will keep stuff as is but it will update you the Creator's update.

I would back up your personal data off machine. The process should not impact it but I like "Better safe than sorry".

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Read the warning in tutorial. The process is pretty easy and it repairs all kinds of conditions.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 28, 2017
  11. Vesnog Win User
    I solved the problem, the culprit was a file generated in non NTFS file-system (possibly ext4) on some Linux distribution used by one of my friends that I share a folder with. Somewhere in it was a file with a name that did not comply Windows standards.

After removing the offending folder in Linux environment everything works as intended. Thanks for your assistance.

Vesnog, Jul 28, 2017
  12. Great. Please mark your thread solved.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

An unexpected error is keeping you from copying ...,error 0x80004005

1. An unexpected error is keeping you from copying ...,error 0x80004005 - Similar Threads - unexpected error keeping

2. Error 0x80004005 when copying files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error 0x80004005 when copying files: I am using the new AE 2023 full crack and it sucessfully installed, but the problem was when I extract the file, it sent the the following error:If I skip then it will lost all the setup data.If I try again then it just continue to show this error.I tried to use the solution...
  3. Unexpected error is keeping you from creating the folder 0x80042009

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unexpected error is keeping you from creating the folder 0x80042009: I am trying to create a folder in my Android phone through my PC and I am receive an error. Unexpected error is keeping you from creating the folder 0x80042009the path I am trying to create the folder is My Phone/ internal storage/ android/data/...
  4. Unexpected error is keeping you from creating the folder 0x80042009

Unexpected error is keeping you from creating the folder 0x80042009: I am trying to create a folder in my Android phone through my PC and I am receive an error. Unexpected error is keeping you from creating the folder 0x80042009the path I am trying to create the folder is My Phone/ internal storage/ android/data/...
  5. An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file. Error 0x80070522: A required...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file. Error 0x80070522: A required...: I somehow changed the owner & permission and something in the "Properties" of Local Disk D and now I can't copy anything into it anymore, it always shows this. How can i change it back...
  6. An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file. Error 0x80070522: A required...

An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file. Error 0x80070522: A required...: I somehow changed the owner & permission and something in the "Properties" of Local Disk D and now I can't copy anything into it anymore, it always shows this. How can i change it back...
  7. An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file Error 0x80070032

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file Error 0x80070032: When I copy copy paste some older files .docx, .pdf, etc. from my backup drive to a Seagate Personal Cloud drive connected in the same network in Windows 10 version 1909, an error occurred as shown in the following screenshot. [ATTACH] Thanks in advance for the help...
  8. An unexpected error is keeping you from creating the file

An unexpected error is keeping you from creating the file: for some reason my C:\ and D:\ drivers say "An unexpected error is keeping you from creating the file" [ATTACH] i have tried many things but nothing works im really panicking because i cant put anything to my windows folder or anywhere...
  9. File Explorer error: An unexpected error is keeping you from copying... Error code...

File Explorer error: An unexpected error is keeping you from copying... Error code...: I am trying to copy a folder that's a few hundred gigs from one hard drive to another. I can't copy them because Windows Explorer gives me an unspecified error. Both hard drives are in perfect health as reported by Crystal Disk and are both internal SATA drives. My system is...
  10. An unexpected error is keeping you....

in Windows 10 Support
    An unexpected error is keeping you....: Computer help! I'm trying to save images from the internet (Mainly Firefox) on my USB to that location, but it keeps saying "This location on Disk... is full. Choose another location and try again." My USB is 32; almost 10 GB space is full. Evening when I'm trying to...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to fox inspecting error keeping you from coping

2. an unexpected error is keeping you from copying

3. unexpected error is keeping you from copying 0x80004005

4. an unexpected error is keeping you from,
  5. mdivergent unexpected error,
  6. unexpected error is keeping you from copying unwanted software