Windows 10: Android device recognized but cannot access files on it

Discus and support Android device recognized but cannot access files on it in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello! This is definitely a Windows 10 thing. If I connect either my Nexus 5 or my LG G4 to my PC via USB the phone is recognized. I can see it in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Handler, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Handler Win User

Android device recognized but cannot access files on it

Hello!

This is definitely a Windows 10 thing. If I connect either my Nexus 5 or my LG G4 to my PC via USB the phone is recognized. I can see it in Windows Explorer but clicking on it does nothing, no access to files.

Before I made the jump from Vista to Windows 10 it worked fine. There has to be some setting someplace. I did apply a hotfix (KB3099229_x64) which was supposed to fix the issue. It did not! *Huh

If there's some trick to it could you share it with me???

Thanks for you help way in advance!

Dave

:)

Handler, Mar 25, 2016

2. Android help

Have a HTC android phone. I'm trying to transfer pictures from phone to computer. Computer recognizes android device but E: drives stays grayed and cannot open files in SD card in phone. HELP

<Moved from Feedback>

simplesimonII, Mar 25, 2016
  3. recognizing Android devices

I dot get any error messages; when I plug in my tablet of phone (Androids) nothing happens; Occasionally I see the device listed, but am unable to view or access any files.

I tried the troubleshooting way, however to no avail.

When I tried the second options, by uninstalling the (many) USB drivers, I ran into problems as both my mouse and keyboard are wireless and connected to a USB hub! Not possible to use either and was forced to shut down the computer by holding down the power
    button and then restarting it. Tried twice with the same results, so that is not an option.

I believe the key is in some kind of setting in Windows 10, because both devices work fine on other computers that do not have Windows 10.

Thanks for trying to help though.

John van der Griendt, Mar 25, 2016
  4. AndreyT Win User

Are you sure you switched your phone to "File transfer" mode, as opposed to "Charging only" mode? Because this is exactly what happens when you connect an Android phone in "Charging only" mode: it becomes visible in Windows (e.g. in File Explorer), but shows as empty device - no file access.

In standard cookie-cutter Android Marshmallow you are supposed to manually switch the phone to "File transfer" mode every time you connect it to the computer. (Before Marshmallow it was possible to set a default mode, but for some reason they removed that capability in Marshmallow).

AndreyT, Mar 25, 2016
  5. Handler Win User
    Yes, that was one of the first things I checked.

Android device recognized but cannot access files on it [​IMG]

As you can see from the screenshot the device is in MTP, all the time. This was from my G4 my Nexus 5 is exactly the same. I have to manually flip flop the setting on the device to get Windows to recognize it.

Handler, Mar 25, 2016
  6. Boomer Win User
    Bizarre, I run windows 10 and have the LG G4 and this issue never arose. Perhaps its some quirky USB driver, do you have usb 2 and usb 3 sockets? I hear sometimes drivers don't get along across types

Boomer, Mar 26, 2016
  7. Handler Win User
    What it is are the stupid permissions. I have to grant it access on the device every time I want to connect USB to it. =\

Handler, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Android device recognized but cannot access files on it - Similar Threads - Android device recognized

2. Lost access to files on USB connected Android device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost access to files on USB connected Android device: I recently lost access to various USB connected Android devices from Windows. Being an Android developer, this practically means that I will have to join the dark side IOS to keep working efficiently. Some devices now broken and previously working includes OnePlus & Galaxy...
  3. Lost access to files on USB connected Android device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost access to files on USB connected Android device: I recently lost access to various USB connected Android devices from Windows. Being an Android developer, this practically means that I will have to join the dark side IOS to keep working efficiently. Some devices now broken and previously working includes OnePlus & Galaxy...
  4. Windows does not recognize or detect Android Device

in Windows 10 News
    Windows does not recognize or detect Android Device: [ATTACH]You may have several reasons to connect your Android device to your Windows computer. It can be to transfer media files or even share screens between them. A commonality with this process is that you may face when Windows doesn’t recognize your device, and you see a...
  5. Windows 10 isnt recognizing my Android device.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 isnt recognizing my Android device.: My phone is a Samsung Galaxy A11, and I am running the most recent version of windows, when I plug in my phone, it says theres an error, and it's listed as Unknown USB Device Device Descriptor Request Failed in the device manager, ive been running through fixes for like the...
  6. Windows 10 isnt recognizing my Android device.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 isnt recognizing my Android device.: My phone is a Samsung Galaxy A11, and I am running the most recent version of windows, when I plug in my phone, it says theres an error, and it's listed as Unknown USB Device Device Descriptor Request Failed in the device manager, ive been running through fixes for like the...
  7. USB DEVICE CANNOT BE RECOGNIZED!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB DEVICE CANNOT BE RECOGNIZED!: Why can't my laptop recognize my phone all of the sudden? How can I fix this? I need to transfer files![ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-device-cannot-be-recognized/a73820d9-085e-40b2-b8f4-467b6afab303
  8. Laptop doesn't recognize connected android device.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop doesn't recognize connected android device.: I frequently use my android device with my laptop for debugging purposes. It used to work fine with no issues, previously. But now it has stopped working. The laptop only charges my device. I tried changing the USB cable, tried them in all the ports but nothing worked. Then I...
  9. Biometric Device Cannot be recognized

in Windows 10 Customization
    Biometric Device Cannot be recognized: My PC is X1 Yoga 3rd and my finger device cannot be recognized after 2018 Oct windows update. I reset my PC but it cannot be recognized. So I want to know how can I make it be recognized? My Sign-in options shows "Windows Hello isn't available on this device"...
  10. Cannot access C drive from android devices since upgraded to 16299

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot access C drive from android devices since upgraded to 16299: I have an irritating problem since 16299 came out. I have set up full shares on laptop on C, F and G partitions (F and G on separate drive) N&S is setup up so all shares are visible etc, no passwords required, permissions set to everyone with full access rights. If I...